May 05, 2024, 11:55:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555668 times)
terry t

« Reply #7545 on: July 17, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »

I would like to state that I know absolutely nothing about Rover V8's with automatic gearbox ! But it sounds like a certain Mr Kapri might.   Wink Cheesy
same here, oh and I got a bad back  Grin Kapri's  a very knowledgeable man Cool Kiss
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:37:07 PM by terry t » Logged
kapri

« Reply #7546 on: July 17, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »

I would like to state that I know absolutely nothing about Rover V8's with automatic gearbox ! But it sounds like a certain Mr Kapri might.   Wink Cheesy
same here, oh and I got a bad back  Grin Kapri's  a very knowledgeable man Cool Kiss

Strangely I also have bad back Wink   As always I'm happy to come up and point out which bolts to undo and play foreman.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7547 on: July 17, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »

You're learning chaps, you're learning -unfortunately.
I too have a bad back & a pressing engagement in Timbuktu that weekend -whatever weekend it is. Apparently I have to be on hand though.  Sad

However I worded the "extras" bit I was going to get told that, wasn't I. I can just afford to buy the engine & if I'm very lucky, may be able to pay my rent & eat occasionally next week too, but that really is it. Fluids, filters etc may well have to wait until the next week's payday, (the last week of my 3 week holiday). If It has to sit for a week with the new engine in, but unable to run it, it won't be by choice I assure you.

I asked the seller if there's a valley gasket, oil filter etc fitted just this morning. waiting for a reply.
The ad just says the cam & lifters came from a 3.9 motor, so I'm assuming not new. As I said though, if that means more expense, it really will have to wait a week till I get paid again -I'd budgeted for a new head gasket & a tube of sealant over my holiday, not an entire new engine.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7548 on: July 17, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »

We also used to crank engines, without ignition (or fuel), until oil reached the rockers.

When me and then hubby used to rebuild engines for rally cars we used to tow them round the block (very small block) in gear before trying to start them - but I guess that wouldn't work with an automatic box.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kapri

« Reply #7549 on: July 17, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »

I'm not trying to add expense to the build Andy but want this to be a one time and works thing, not another rebuild because you've had to cut a corner .

Focus firstly on getting them swapped over in the available time, starting can come when more money is available if need be.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7550 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »

Grin Yeah, I really don't want to be doing this again! If it works out O.K, I doubt I'll be stripping the whole truck down over the coming Winter as planned to paint & powder coat everything. I've missed most of this season already & don't want to do the same next year.
Your foreman skills would be much appreciated Kev -I'll find you a comfy chair & a pointing stick.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:56:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #7551 on: July 18, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »

You NEED to know about the cam, totally different starting procedure if it has a new cam which can wipe the cam out if done incorrectly.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7552 on: July 18, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »

I'll check with the seller when I collect.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7553 on: July 18, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

Re gaskets:

All the gaskets are there as well as the o rings but you will need a new oil filter.

Not sure which O rings he's referring to.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7554 on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »

Engine collection arranged for Friday evening.
Not much I can do at the moment. Mr Loon's busy painting various cars this week, so best I keep out of his way. No storage space at the workshop for me to strip down the front end of the car, so looks like it'll be the weekend/early next week before the fun begins.

mouse

« Reply #7555 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »

hope it all goes well for you Andy you've certainly had the s**tty end of the stick for far too long now  Angry

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7556 on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »

Cheesy Half of it's probably self inflicted mate.

mouse

« Reply #7557 on: July 24, 2014, 07:46:06 AM »

Grin

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7558 on: July 25, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »

Engine collected from the very nice man in Berkshire.
He's got an Arial Atom styled, space framed kit car, with all Mazda MX5 running gear, (BIVA'd & running an age related plate). He thinks it's underpowered so was planning to put the Rover engine in, but has changed his mind. Not quite sure how to check an engine over when it's not in a car, but I put a socket on the crank bolt & it turned over very nicely. Everything appears to be doing what it should. He built it for his own use, so hopefully it's properly done. Certainly looks very tidy.
Put together with everything oiled, rather than dry. The camshaft & followers are used, but from a low mileage 3.9 Discovery engine.
Came with a new tin valley gasket & new end rubbers, as well as a bag of assorted new seals & smaller gaskets.
I'll need to swap crank & water pump pulleys over from the old engine, as well as the distributor & flywheel. I also need to pick up a new oil filter.
Other than that, it looks to be pretty much "plug n play". 
We didn't need an engine crane -I had a Big Darren -but between the 3 of us it was surprisingly easy to lift into his van.
I've probably got a day's worth of messing about, draining the old engine & unplugging & labelling everything, as well as removing all the front end bodywork on the Pop. Mr Kapri, I'd really appreciate you there if you're free, in an advisory capacity, before I try & unbolt it, (we built the Pop around the engine & gearbox together -we haven't split them & I've never worked on an auto box). Hopefully we can separate the 2 & lift the engine clear without disturbing the gearbox tunnel, cos that'd mean stripping half the interior back out, but it's gonna be tight.
So tomorrow's strip-down day, then I'm out for the day on Sunday, so it may be Monday before I'm ready to remove the old & fit the new.
Thanks for the help Daz.  Kiss

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:44:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #7559 on: July 25, 2014, 06:45:20 PM »

I could come up tomorrow and you could split the torque convertor from the flexplate while you are doing the general stripdown. Quite easy once the starters out  You don't have to pull it apart at that stage but can leave a couple of engine bolt sin just to keep it all in place.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: