May 06, 2024, 03:52:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555869 times)
hunter

« Reply #7530 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »

And most importantly,

Half the price of a rebuild.

I
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7531 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »

And half the time!

Look at it another way, you were really lucky to get away with the driving you did last year!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
bigdarren

« Reply #7532 on: July 16, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

cant do till after 4mate

if you cant fix it with gaffa tape or cable ties then its broken
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7533 on: July 16, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »

Hiya Daz. I was going to give you a shout tomorrow.  Smiley  Any evening next week if you're free, (obviously I shall buy you a jelly baby or 2 for your troubles). The engine's actually in Woodley, on the outskirts of Reading.
Yeah Bobbi, we were on borrowed time with the engine I guess, but had a lot of fun in it, (the trip to Holland will be remembered for a long time to come).
While the engine's out I hope to clean up some of the half done bits in the engine bay. If I can get it fixed, running O.K, MOT'd & taxed before I go back to work in 2 1/2 week's time, I'll be happy.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #7534 on: July 17, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »

DON'T mess with the half done bits, just get it in and running!  One in ,one out in a day, no probs. Just don't forget to order exhaust gaskets, fresh oil, antifreeze, new oil filte,r VASELINE ( for oil pump )  etc so they are there for when you do the job.
merv

« Reply #7535 on: July 17, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »

Hi Kapri
Vaseline for oil pump, would you explain this please has I haven't heard of this and whatever you do with the Vaseline would you do for all car fitted oil pumps.

Thanks in advance of reply

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Olds

« Reply #7536 on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »

Certain oil pumps are not very good at self priming (Rover/Buick V8 in particular). That is to say sucking up the oil from dry. A bit of Vaseline packed into the pump gives it that bit of extra suction at first start up. Not needed during normal oil changes but if the engine has been left without oil for a long period or has been rebuilt it is a good idea. We also used to crank engines, without ignition (or fuel), until oil reached the rockers. The pump should have been packed on rebuild. Might be worth asking/ checking.
Hope you don't mind me butting in Kapri
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:13:18 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7537 on: July 17, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »

So cranking the motor over with the distributor cap off would be enough? I've never professed to be a mechanic. I know what goes on inside an engine, but fault diagnosis & set-up/tuning have never been my strong point. I'm going to be extremely short of money for the next couple of weeks -I can just about pay for the engine, so need to keep the extras to the bare minimum, (obviously without risk to the new motor).
Looks like we'll have to pull the engine & gearbox out together as there's probably not enough room to split them in situ, (only about 4" of clearance between the front pulley & front chassis rail).

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #7538 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

Not sure you can call oil, antifreeze etc. extras.
Cranking without the ignition or fuel just ensures oil has got fully around the engine before running. Last thing you need is to find that the engine has been dry assembled and it starts up dry. And yep it has been done.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:31:10 AM by Olds » Logged

kapri

« Reply #7539 on: July 17, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »

Certain oil pumps are not very good at self priming (Rover/Buick V8 in particular). That is to say sucking up the oil from dry. A bit of Vaseline packed into the pump gives it that bit of extra suction at first start up. Not needed during normal oil changes but if the engine has been left without oil for a long period or has been rebuilt it is a good idea. We also used to crank engines, without ignition (or fuel), until oil reached the rockers. The pump should have been packed on rebuild. Might be worth asking/ checking.
Hope you don't mind me butting in Kapri

Not a problem Dave Wink   Rovers ( and Buicks on which they are based) all need the pump packing as full as you can get it.
kapri

« Reply #7540 on: July 17, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »

Andy, I'm presuming it has no valley gasket etc fitted so the cam lobes etc will need a good coating of oil .

Now, going to be more expense if you give the wrong answer but is it a NEW cam and lifters ?
kapri

« Reply #7541 on: July 17, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once" Wink

4" is perfectly adequate to remove engine from the box as you only need enough room to pop the flexplate out of the gearbox but NOT with teh torque convertor. If you pull the engine and box out together you will lose your trans fluid as well.

There is either a cover plate that allows access to the torque convertor bolts or you get to them once the starter is removed.

Remove the tc bolts from the flex plate and push the tc back in the gearbox .It is imperative that throughout the rest of the job it STAYS there . If it slips forward it can pop the front trans seal which won't be apparent until you reassemble and start it again Sad

Use a jack under the bellhousing to prevent it dropping down allowing the t/c to slide forward and to be doubly sure as soon as you get a gap between the engine and box make a small cranked bracket, held on via a now unused bellhousing bolt to retain it there .

If you pop the convertor from the gearbox you will, pop that front seal and lose all the fluid. You will then also have to hold the gearbox on end while aligning the two internal splines plus external 'tanged' oil pump drive.
spanners

« Reply #7542 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

4" is perfectly adequate to remove engine from the box as you only need enough room to pop the flexplate out of the gearbox but NOT with teh torque convertor. If you pull the engine and box out together you will lose your trans fluid as well.

There is either a cover plate that allows access to the torque convertor bolts or you get to them once the starter is removed.

Remove the tc bolts from the flex plate and push the tc back in the gearbox .It is imperative that throughout the rest of the job it STAYS there . If it slips forward it can pop the front trans seal which won't be apparent until you reassemble and start it again Sad

Use a jack under the bellhousing to prevent it dropping down allowing the t/c to slide forward and to be doubly sure as soon as you get a gap between the engine and box make a small cranked bracket, held on via a now unused bellhousing bolt to retain it there .

If you pop the convertor from the gearbox you will, pop that front seal and lose all the fluid. You will then also have to hold the gearbox on end while aligning the two internal splines plus external 'tanged' oil pump drive.
TAKE NOTE ,,,,, very wise words from mr kapri , i,v had to sort the very same problem in the past when taking over a job that some ,numpty, had c#cked up

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
terry t

« Reply #7543 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »

Sound like some one talking themselves into a job here  Grin Grin Wink
Olds

« Reply #7544 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »

I would like to state that I know absolutely nothing about Rover V8's with automatic gearbox ! But it sounds like a certain Mr Kapri might.   Wink Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: