May 05, 2024, 11:28:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555656 times)
Olds

« Reply #7515 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »

Gumtree looks like your best bet. Forget trying to hone the bores as that gouge is too deep.
Seen similar damage done to a brand new Rover 4.6 v8 when a head alignment dowel was left in a bore.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7516 on: July 15, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »

I'd like to think I'm not daft enough to drop 2 somethings down the manifold, but... what am I saying -yeah I am.
I'll check the manifold casting for damage/missing chunks of ali etc. All bolts had their washers when I took it apart today, but it's possible.
Hopes of driving the thing this Summer are fading rapidly.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7517 on: July 15, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »

I'm with Olds on this one Andy, a deal of dosh, but for what sounds a nice motor, and when compared to rebuilding a simple Reliant mill, not such a bad price, really..............Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
terry t

« Reply #7518 on: July 15, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »

If some object got dropped down through the inlet manifold wouldn't  there be other cylinders or valves damage,
may be when the plugs were taken out at some point some thing got sucked in if it was being spun over Huh
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7519 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »

Anything's possible, but I'm surprised it's clobbered bores at opposite ends of the engine.
Looks like it's time to pull the engine hoist back out of the storage lock-up.

hunter

« Reply #7520 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »

Andy that gumtree motor looks good.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7521 on: July 15, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »

Still waiting for a 2nd reply from the seller, but hopefully collect it by the end of the week if he's not sold it already.

merv

« Reply #7522 on: July 15, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »

Andy that gumtree motor looks good.

I was going to say the same but hunter beat me to it

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
kapri

« Reply #7523 on: July 16, 2014, 09:14:25 AM »

If some object got dropped down through the inlet manifold wouldn't  there be other cylinders or valves damage,
may be when the plugs were taken out at some point some thing got sucked in if it was being spun over Huh

Not necessarily , I had a small bolt work out of a carb and drop into one cylinder , peppered it to hell. It went in and out with no valve damage at all ! I only knew that's what had caused th damage and as I  KNEW all 4 were in there when I rebuilt it.
kapri

« Reply #7524 on: July 16, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »

Anything's possible, but I'm surprised it's clobbered bores at opposite ends of the engine.
Looks like it's time to pull the engine hoist back out of the storage lock-up.

Could easily be small nut and washer , one went one way and one went the other. That's why I said look at the carb itself carefully as well, could well be a component part rather than a bolt .
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7525 on: July 16, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »

It'd explain the random clattering about we heard with your stethoscope the other day wouldn't it.
No word from the engine seller yet, so fingers crossed he hasn't sold it to someone else. Really can't afford it, but need to get the thing sorted. A real shame after having so much fun with it last year -it's barely made it to the end of the road & back this year.
I'd planned to get it MOT'd & taxed, then pull my half built bike out of storage & play with that, (I'm on holiday from work at the moment). No room for 2 stripped down projects at Loon's workshop at the moment though & I need to arrange collection of the replacement engine, (assuming it's still available), with Big Darren & his van & the hoist which is in his garage. Also need the hoist to take the old engine out & there's no room to strip the front of the truck down & leave it sat in bits in the yard. So I'm kinda in limbo till I hear from the seller now.
Looks like I've got a day off to go & enjoy the sunshine.

Olds

« Reply #7526 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »

Could easily be small nut and washer , one went one way and one went the other. That's why I said look at the carb itself carefully as well, could well be a component part rather than a bolt .
Butterfly screws are the most likely things to disappear into the manifold from a carb, but unlikely to loose two. Not sure about your carb but one thing it may be is the enrichment nozzles and retaining screw. (centre of pic) To be honest, think we are all just guessing at this point. Sad
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:00:57 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7527 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »

I spend most of my life just guessing Dave.
Just had an email from the seller in Caversham, Berkshire. The engine's rebuilt & ready to go, (the rocker assemblies weren't shown in his photos, but they were taken mid build), & he has receipts for the parts. Other than stripping it down again, I just have to take his word that it's all good, so I'm waiting for a PayPal address from him so I can give him a deposit. Collection either Friday morning if Darren or his van are free, or after Monday.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7528 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »

Deposit paid.

merv

« Reply #7529 on: July 16, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »

Well that's a start in the right direction, I know you said you cant really afford the engine, but at the beginning of when you first started the one you got you did say it was a tired engine and it would need rebuilding, at least this way you should get a good engine without all the cost of rebuilding one

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: