May 06, 2024, 06:41:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555942 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7215 on: March 15, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »

Sorry Bob, not today.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #7216 on: March 15, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

Hot water and washing powder , topped right up to the brim .Leave in overnight, empty and repeat until you can't smell any fuel WHATSOEVER. We used power jet washer with special chemicals for cleaning tanks before repair but the above works as well at home. Petrol tanks had to have a MINIMUM of 48 hours defume and then we had a specialased gas analyser that we stuck in the tank before signing them off fit to work on.
kapri

« Reply #7217 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:08 PM »

Got a sit on ONs trike as well , very nice ( and comfortable ), thanks.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7218 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »

Smiley
I've only got tomorrow & Monday morning to flush it out, so 36 hours, as I want to take it over to the welder after work on Monday afternoon. They do their own flushing apparently, but told me to do so too. So I'll grab washing powder on my way to the yard tomorrow. As you know, no hot running water there, (plenty of cold running through the yard after the last few month's rain), so it'll have to be lots of kettle's full.

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #7219 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »

An old school fix for removing petrol fumes from a tank is to run a hose from an exhaust pipe into the tank and run for 20mins. Should purge the tank of all petrol fumes. Do it outside though Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7220 on: March 16, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »

Not heard of that one Andy.

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #7221 on: March 16, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »

I tried the moron's version of purging fumes many moons ago.
Place the tank in the middle if the lawn, attach a lit rag to a long stick and introduce flame to filler neck.
It purged the fumes alright but significantly changed the dimensions of the tank too ; Shocked
One of life's 'Oh Bu**er@ moments!
My mum was not best pleased and the neighbours thought the paramilitaries had bombed woking.
Ho hum. You learn by em.
merv

« Reply #7222 on: March 16, 2014, 01:41:47 PM »

I tried the moron's version of purging fumes many moons ago.
Place the tank in the middle if the lawn, attach a lit rag to a long stick and introduce flame to filler neck.
It purged the fumes alright but significantly changed the dimensions of the tank too ; Shocked
One of life's 'Oh Bu**er@ moments!
My mum was not best pleased and the neighbours thought the paramilitaries had bombed woking.
Ho hum. You learn by em.

This gave me a good laugh Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #7223 on: March 16, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »

exhaust contains unburnt fuel.

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
the coppersmith

« Reply #7224 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »

I've seen the exhaust fumes trick, I was always taught to use inert gas such as argon to purge the tank, never had one go bang, think I would remember Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7225 on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:57 PM »

Grin I decided to go with the washing powder idea in the end. If nothing else, the tank now smells orange blossom fresh. Seems to have done the trick. My only concern now is whether it's affected the tank sealant we used.
Before I flushed it, I spent an hour filing out the old filler cap mounting to take the new bike filler neck I bought in Holland last year. I bought a pair, (about 8 quid each). So the 2 tanks will have matching & interchangeable non locking chrome caps. I'll take the tank to the welding shop after work tomorrow. Hopefully Mr Kapri's contact will be making a replacement reserve tank in the next week or so, using the other filler neck.
Later in the day I fired up my MIG welder. First welding I've done in 5 or 6 years, (since Loony's workshop has become my second home). I welded the new switch panel in place on top of the gearbox tunnel. Not used to welding thin sheet steel at all, but it didn't go too badly. First self inflicted welding burn for a while too.
3 weeks today we have to be in Belgium!  Shocked

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7226 on: March 17, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

Another afternoon of errand running for me. Over to Tadley in Hampshire to see how the tyre fitter got on with balancing the rear wheels.
No good. His adaptor hub wouldn't fit squarely on the back of my wheels so wouldn't run true. He didn't realise they were rear wheels though & thought that such narrow rims on the back of the truck would be fine as they were. I'll take the front wheels to him in a week or so & see what he can do with those. The rears are 5 bolt, 16" London taxi cab rims. The fronts are 4 bolt, 15" Hillman Minx. Apparently there'd been much discussion in the depot as to what the hell they'd come off.
From there I went to Newbury in Berkshire to deliver the Pop fuel tank to the welder. A simple ring of weld around the top of the filler neck. As long as it doesn't blow up in his face, it'll be fine.
Then across town to the powder coaters to drop off another batch of bits. Battery box, axle locating bars & the springs & collars from the rear shock absorbers.
Finally from Newbury, via Basingstoke to Farnborough in Hampshire to buy another pack of Dynamat sound/heat insulation from Jackhammer rod shop. That should be enough to line the cab roof & either make a start on the back of the cab or the doors.

Meanwhile, Mr Newbie had been at the workshop & taken a look at the switch panel I welded in yesterday. He was armed with a multimeter, soldering iron & connections & had, (sort of), volunteered to unhook the old switches & reconnect the power to the new ones. By the time I got back to the yard everyone had gone home, but a quick squint under the tarpaulin confirmed he'd certainly connected most of it.
No answer from your phone Dave -how did it go?

Olds

« Reply #7227 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »

& had, (sort of), volunteered to unhook the old switches & reconnect the power to the new ones.
Still not quite sure how or when that happened. Huh
Going a bit slow. The switches have screw connections requiring 4mm ring terminals. Standard ones are 3.5 or 5.5mm  Angry  Damned yanks. so spent ages opening up the 3.5 ones you bought.
Shouldn't take too long. Four weeks or so should do it. Grin  Grin  Grin

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7228 on: March 18, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »

had, (sort of), volunteered

He means you didn't have the strength of mind to refuse!   Wink Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7229 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »

Tongue Absolutely no point me trying to help -wiring means nothing to me. I flick the switch & magic happens. Or sometimes doesn't.
I was just leaving work this afternoon when the welding shop rang to say the fuel tank was done. So I trundled straight over to collect it. It was a through the books job, rather than cash in hand, so cost me 30 quid, but no-one got blown up, so it was worth it. Can't powder coat the tank cos it's got chemical metal filler on the outside & tank sealant on the inside, but I plan to paint it green eventually anyway, (obviously I mean Mr Loon will paint it). Might try & smooth the various dents out with normal body filler & prime it before it goes back in though.
Spent an hour or so trying all the paint & car shops in a 10 mile radius for some decent heavy duty black chassis paint to do the rear axle in. I could buy a gallon of it for 40 quid, but not a sensible sized tin. Ebay later then.
Meanwhile, Mr Newbie continued his electrickery.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: