May 06, 2024, 10:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556059 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7140 on: February 25, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »

Yeah, nobody said don't go there, till after I went there.
Like I said, they've always given good service for cables for my trikes n stuff, so I'm still inclined to give 'em the benefit of the doubt, (plus I don't like to trash their reputation here without good reason). I don't mind driving the Pop about with a big hole where the speedo should be, as long as I know it'll get one at some point. How long do you give them before asking for your stuff back?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #7141 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:49 PM »

'm quite prepared to trash their reputation as they've messed me about on 2 seperate occasions ( benefit of the doubt first time ) , taken 3 times as long the first time and this last time took 9 months to produce 2 working fuel gauges at a cost of over £150.

Once you get the quote they'll say 4 weeks , at 6 weeks you'll chase and at 8 weeks you may get it back. That's providing they receive your confirmation of go ahead as they swore blind they hadn't received mine when I chased after 4 weeks .I
When I sent them back the first time I rang after a week to ask what progress they had made only to be told it would be 4 weeks before they could look at them. I complained to the managing director that time.

There is another instrument repairer out there who is also crap and rip off , changed a friend £1000 for a set of refurbed gauges that looked great but didn't work at all.

I'd ring Speedograph and talk to them about turnround etc and make a decision based on that.
kapri

« Reply #7142 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:33 PM »

I'm not alone and this isn't a recent thing either google speedycables service and you'll see a few moaning. This link reflects my dealings.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/cockpit/41423-speedy-cables.html
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7143 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »

So-o, you're not a fan then.
I'll phone again tomorrow & see what they say. If there's no prospect of them doing the work soon, I guess I go & retrieve it. Worst case scenario, I drive about for another Summer without a working speedo & get it fixed by Speedograph next Winter.

kapri

« Reply #7144 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »

If you get it back and sent it to Speedograph ( dependent on what they say re times ) there's a good chance you'll get it back before you'd even get a quote from Speedycables Wink

In their defence on the 'net they seem to get good reviews on their cable supply. Just the instrument side that gets constant flack.

Olds

« Reply #7145 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »

Andy, what size rear tyres are on the Pop?
I'll see if there is a suitable speedo already available.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #7146 on: February 26, 2014, 01:31:28 AM »

gps speedo, velcro'd to the column
thats what rodders over here are starting to do
me, i like the klok

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
scannerzer

« Reply #7147 on: February 26, 2014, 06:58:44 AM »

or go for a digital speedo and build it into your clock
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7148 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »

Planning on buying a SatNav at some point & will hopefully be borrowing one for our Belgium trip in a few weeks time. So I'd make sure it had a speed display.
Spoke to Speedy Cables again today. To be honest,  they're very helpful over the phone -I spoke to the girl I handed my gauge to when I took it to their workshops & she passed me on to the guy who does the recalibration work. They wanted to know the thread diameter of the cable fitting on the gearbox & rang me back half an hour later when I'd checked it. It's not gonna be cheap -several hundred pounds to recalibrate it, fit an angled cable drive, make the cable, replace the glass & a couple of other odds & ends, (they gave me rough figures for each bit). A lot of money for a speedo that cost me a tenner from an autojumble, but if it works & reads correctly I'll be happy.
Said they didn't need email confirmation or anything to undertake the work & it should be done in about 4 weeks. I was ready for an argument & to go & retrieve it on my next day off, but so far I haven't really got a reason to. If I take it back & go elsewhere, it'll probably be  a lot longer than their 4 weeks. So I've decided to give them the benefit of the doubt & see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7149 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »

The perfect number plate for my Pop, (it was registered in 2013).
Don't think I'm allowed to change from the Q plate I've got & I've never really got the personalised plate thing, but this would be cool.

Ebay plate

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7150 on: February 26, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »

Differnt having a plate that's personal to the vehicle, rather than the person though!  Used to be a sports car - never did find out what it was - that used to zoom through Wareham and the reg was VR00M!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
dobber

« Reply #7151 on: February 27, 2014, 01:52:49 AM »

Someone should email a link to the managing directors so they can see alls not well regarding their service

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Olds

« Reply #7152 on: February 27, 2014, 06:51:59 AM »

Don't think I'm allowed to change from the Q plate
You are correct. Once a vehicle has been given a Q plate that's it. Can't even change it for another Q registration as far as I know.
I have vehicle specific number plates on one of my cars and at first, found that every time we went past a police car, it would follow for a while. It was quite disconcerting.
Seems they assumed that the vehicle was driving on "showroom" plates and would follow until they'd done a PNC check.
Still happens occasionally.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Mendalot

« Reply #7153 on: February 27, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »

If you get it back and sent it to Speedograph ( dependent on what they say re times ) there's a good chance you'll get it back before you'd even get a quote from Speedycables Wink

I just spoke to Speedograph about re calibrating the Smiths speedo for my Phaeton, they have quoted £75.00 and 1 to 2 week turnaround.

Paul.

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7154 on: February 27, 2014, 08:03:22 PM »

That's cheap! And quick.

Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: