May 06, 2024, 03:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555869 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7005 on: January 04, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »

Started stripping parts off the Pop today to be nickel plated. Tailgate lock & hinges, bonnet badge, bonnet props, air cleaner base, cable guides, coil mount etc. Actually more bits than I'd thought!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7006 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:10 PM »

Took the fibreglass dashboard out today. It's going into the T Bucket project, to be replaced with an original Bakelite version, kindly donated by Mr Neil G. His one's been modified by a previous owner, but doesn't have all the switch holes that mine did, which I won't need cos I'm moving the switches to a new panel on top of the gearbox tunnel. Hopefully Mr Loon can spray the new one green for me before it goes in.
I took the gearbox tunnel out so we could get to the speedo drive. The Morris Oxford speedo was brand new old stock, still in it's box when I bought it, (10 quid from an autojumble), but it's never been connected because it needs recalibrating to suit the rear wheel size. I'll send it to Speedy Cables in Wales. As well as the rear wheel radius & circumference, they needed to know how many times the speedo drive revolves compared to turns of the back wheel. That involved Loon, Chris & I pushing the truck up & down the yard in the rain this afternoon, counting the 6 revolutions of the rear wheels necessary for an accurate measurement. If you're interested, the speedo cable revolves 13 1/4 times for every 6 revs of the wheels. 
While the gearbox tunnel's out, I thought I'd adjust the freeplay in the gearchange linkage as it only starts intermittently in Park. At the moment, the truck's living in a barn behind Loon's shop & while it was sat in there, ticking over at the end of the day, it suddenly dropped into reverse & shot backwards, over riding the handbrake. Only Chris's quick reactions, diving into the cab & stomping on the brake pedal, saved us from some serious damage. A simple mistake, but it could have had major consequences. A salutary lesson. I'll be re-adjusting it as soon as I get to the workshop tomorrow afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:35:04 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #7007 on: January 05, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »

You're not the first and you won't be the last. I had a mate killed, aged only 18 ,by similar thing happening in his 440 Charger , smashed him into the parked van in front ...repeatedly, took him 3 days to die Sad  .

Sorry to be so graphic but that's why I always nag about having working inhibitors and correctly adjusted linkage on autos ( his was incorrect linkage allowing it to drop into gear and then drive).

I know personally of 4 accidents involving cars starting in gear with inhibitor wired in, 2 dived off the 4 posters  they were on onto their noses ( one of these was a fatality ) , the other on the ramp  actually dropped onto its own brake pedal and stopped it going off the end.  Last inhibitor issue started and drove straight into teh back of another rod by the roadside .

Two other incidents I know of were due to sloppy linkages ,both happened in the same main dealer within 2/3 years of each other. Crippling injuries for one guy as it dropped into gear and drove off the ramp onto him and the other ( 'luckily' with no injuries ) totalled 4 almost new cars when it slipped into reverse while idling.

A good way of making sure it can't start dangerously is also wiring the inhibitor relay through the brake lights . This means it won't start without a foot on the brakes.

spanners

« Reply #7008 on: January 05, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

i had a truck with a manual box  drop into gear and bugger off up the yard then take out a gate post before i got in

ERF 10ltr cummins with a ,fuller, g/box ,, fullers, are known for rattling when left in nuetral with the engine idling ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7009 on: January 05, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »

The inhibitor's correctly wired, (my brother Brock insisted we get one fitted before running the engine, with good cause), but the brake light idea's a good one.
I thought adjusting the slack out of the linkage would give a more positive gear selection cos it feels like it's dropping partially out of Park & so not allowing the engine to start, (for non auto owners, the inhibitor switch only lets it start in Park or Neutral). Chris had blipped the throttle then got out. Seconds later, while Loon & I were looking the other way, it dropped into reverse.
To make matters worse, I've removed the kickdown cable & throttle return spring brackets for nickel plating, so after blipping, the revs may not have dropped to their normal point, (obviously we're not driving the truck on the road like this. It's off the road for the Winter strip down, so is only going from the front of the workshop to the storage barn & back).
I'm only calling in at the 'shop to measure up for a speedo cable tomorrow, but will make damn sure I adjust the slack back into the linkage while I'm there.
Be careful out there guys.  Wink

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7010 on: January 05, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »

There was a horrible accident at the Purbeck Rally where an older auto vehicle suddenly started to move and ran into an 80 year old lady - her leg was broken but fortunately she recovered well, could have been fatal for her.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #7011 on: January 05, 2014, 09:37:27 PM »

Lucky no damage done.
I like the Jag system. Without putting your foot on the brakes the linkage is locked in the park position but you can start the car without having to get in to apply the brakes. Handy when working on it.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #7012 on: January 05, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »

Lucky no damage done.
I like the Jag system. Without putting your foot on the brakes the linkage is locked in the park position but you can start the car without having to get in to apply the brakes. Handy when working on it.

Later Renaults and also a lot of Nissan operate the same way , brakes operate a small solenoid in the shifter linkage. Problem with that on Renault is that if the brake light fuse blows you can't get it out of gear even though it will start ...go on , ask me how I know ?! LOL
kapri

« Reply #7013 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

Filing the P slot in the shifter housing should allow it to click home more positively. Pressure in the box is controlled by the kickdown cable as well ,blipping it with cable loose will probably also have left internal box pressure high allowing it to take up drive easier .

Kickdown cable is a misnomer, on some cars it is purely that and chnage points are determined by other means and kickdown cable performs only that function.  On other boxes , Borg Warner in particular, the  cable controls ALL shifts and tells the box what the engine is doing via throttle position.

A broken or incorrectly set BW cable can burn out a box in very short order . yet another lesson learned by me the hard and expensive way.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7014 on: January 09, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »

No real progress to report, but I've spent the last week collecting various parts. After work this afternoon I visited the local chrome plater, (Silvabronz in Alton, Hants).

http://www.beckworth.net/index.asp?upid=12

I dropped off 2 dozen assorted brackets, the bonnet badge, tailgate locking mechanism & hinges etc for nickel plating. Also the dashboard speedo mount & choke & vent knobs for chrome plating. They estimated £145 & ready in 3 weeks.

poprodder

« Reply #7015 on: January 09, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »

get you, you'll be a streetrodder next!!! bling bling!!!! lol

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7016 on: January 09, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

Grin I'll be painting it next!
It is unpolished nickel plate though. It's the prep & polish that really bumps the price up, but I just want a basic flat nickel coating cos I think that'll suit the truck more. It'll hopefully also work well with the satin finish green paint when we get that far.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7017 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »

Which will hopefully be a vary long time.....      Kiss

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7018 on: January 10, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »

Grin Gotta be painted at some point Bobbi! It's bright red with rust again at the moment.

My day off today & another road trip in pursuit of parts. I've been to Merthyr Tydfil this morning, in That Wales Place. The speedo from the Pop needs recalibrating so it shows the correct speed when hooked up to the Borg Warner gear box. So I took it along to "Speedy Cables" in Abercrave, near Merthyr. I could've posted it, but didn't fancy sending a delicate instrument in the Mail, (you know what those Posties are like), plus I wanted to ask if they could make a couple of alterations to the dial face -& I fancied a bit of a drive anyway. They're gonna have a look at it & get back to me. I'm trying to get all the longer jobs underway so I don't run out of time before I need the truck back on the road in April.
Bizarrely, 2 miles down the road from their workshop was a Chimpanzee Sanctuary.

Mr Loon's birthday tomorrow so he's treating himself to a day off, so hopefully I'll make a little progress on Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:15:12 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #7019 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »

youre lucky you didn,t get lost in that wales place

its full of ,sheep, n,, funny farmers with ,wellie,s n, things  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: