May 05, 2024, 09:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555568 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6915 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »

Tomorrow night/early morning.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #6916 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »

lots of talk about it on face book.  dale concerned thats he only traveled 100 miles in his motor since buying it!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6917 on: November 12, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »

(Dale recently bought a 1947 Ford).
He's had his valeted for the trip. I'm gonna buff the Pop up with a wire brush on the angle grinder tomorrow.

poprodder

« Reply #6918 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:17 PM »

they were taking the p. saying he's becoming a streetrodder having it valeted!!! lol

Olds

« Reply #6919 on: November 13, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

Are you taking plenty of WD40 with you? Lots of salty sea air.
Hope all goes well and that you and Marcus have fun Andy.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
merv

« Reply #6920 on: November 13, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

Have a good trip and over all weekend

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6921 on: November 13, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »

Thanks guys.
The usual last minute stresses today- The door glass is in, but refuses to wind up or down -it moves crookedly, one side at a time instead of sliding smoothly. So we've jammed it in the up position for now & will sort it later. I'm already seriously thinking of fitting sideways sliding windows instead, like early Minis etc. So if we need to speak to anyone on the way, pay road tolls etc, we'll have to open the door. I can't even adjust the mirrors when I'm sat in it now.
Loony's Mum made a lovely job of upholstering the door panels, but the extra thickness made fitting the interior handles a pig of a job. Done now. Without opening windows, if the door handles don't work we'll be trapped in the cab!
Loony's welded up the roof seams, so the cab's almost weatherproof. It'll be interesting to see if it's any quieter to drive now.
I've fitted half a dozen D rings to the pick-up bed & bought an elasticated cargo net, so hopefully our luggage will still be there when we get to the ferry, (we'll chuck it in one of the other guy's boots when we get there).
We've run the engine a couple of times today & it seems fine, but we haven't filled the fuel tanks up yet, so don't know if the sealant will hold, (we'll stop at the local all night filling station on the way out of town).
I've wire wheeled the surface rust off & left the Pop outside the workshop, soaking in a liberal coating of WD40.
We've got one intermittently flickering rear bulb & a slight weep from the rear fuel tank, but otherwise we're good.
It's only 150 miles of motorway driving to the ferry terminal & we don't have to be there till 8am, but we thought rather than sitting about until the early hours, we might as well get going when we're ready. So we're off at midnight.
No idea if there'll be internet access where we're going & I won't have my laptop with me anyway. So if I'm back online tomorrow evening it means we missed the ferry. So hopefully I'll see you guys again on Tuesday, (we should be home around midnight, Monday).
Behave yourselves while I'm gone!  Wink

kapri

« Reply #6922 on: November 13, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »

Window will be stepping due to single point lifting winder mechanism  and/or side rails not running parallel with one another .Easy enough to resolve. Have a good trip  you two and give my regards to your travelling companions, you'll have a great time with them Smiley
hunter

« Reply #6923 on: November 13, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »

Have a good one guys.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6924 on: November 14, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »

Hiya.
Logging in on the ferry. Aint technology wonderful. Strange trying to use a keyboard when everythings moving around you though.
We made it to Harwich in 3 hours. No problems at all. Unfortunately that meant we had 4 or 5 hours to kill. The Pop cab definitely aint built for 2 six foot blokes to sleep in. Although Loony welded up the roof seams yesterday, there were still enough pinholes for the rain to come in and we eventually had to park up under the canopy of a nearby petrol station forcourt. We were woken by the staff coming in to open up this morning.
Met up with our fellow travellers, a model A Ford sedan, a 47 Ford coupe and an F100 truck. All safely aboard and now whiling away the journey across the North Sea. Are we there yet?   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6925 on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:03 AM »

And here we are, safely home again, 5 days & 500 miles later. I think we can say the Pop's well & truly road tested now. We've had a crackin' time & made some fantastic friends. Lots & lots of good memories. The truck didn't miss a beat all weekend -we've promised to treat it to an oil change & a good buffing. No problems at all, though we definitely need a pair of much denser padded seat bases if we're doing that sort of mileage in one hit again -we were both suffering from numb bums but the cab isn't roomy enough to shuffle around much. Getting the windows winding up & down properly & some sound proofing are next on the list I think. Built in a shed from a pile of scrap, tested & certified by VOSA & DVLA, driven all Summer, then taken across Europe & entered in a Dutch hotrod show & driven home again. Not too bad for a 60 year old car with a 30 year old engine. Yeah, we is hardcore hotrodders now!  Cool
Off to bed for a well deserved sleep. Photos tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:49:46 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #6926 on: November 19, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »

Built in a shed from a pile of scrap, tested & certified by VOSA & DVLA, driven all Summer, then taken across Europe & entered in a Dutch hotrod show & driven home again. Not too bad for a 60 year old car with a 30 year old engine. Yeah, we is hardcore hotrodders now!  Cool

Stopping and thinking about it in those terms it IS a GREAT achievement Smiley
Olds

« Reply #6927 on: November 19, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »

we definitely need a pair of much denser padded seat bases.................................... Yeah, we is hardcore hotrodders now!  Cool
Grin
taken across Europe & entered in a Dutch hotrod show & driven home again. Not too bad for a 60 year old car with a 30 year old engine.
Agree with Kapri on that one Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6928 on: November 19, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »

And here we are, safely home again, 5 days & 500 miles later. I think we can say the Pop's well & truly road tested now.

Yes - you won't worry about doing the odd 100 miles or whatever now!  Glad she behaved for you.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6929 on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »

4,000 miles this Summer now. Time to treat the ol' girl to a good service
-yeah, I know, way ahead of you!
Manky, King of innuendo.

Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: