May 05, 2024, 09:01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555544 times)
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #6810 on: September 16, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

I was planning on using an Aussie straight 6. For the price of a v8 you can fill your house with them!

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Archie

« Reply #6811 on: September 16, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »

Ali louvred bonnet
kapri

« Reply #6812 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »

That might be useful Ben. Been chatting to Loony & we're now seriously thinking of using Reliant power. A standard Reliant's good for 80mph +, they're cheap to run, cheap to insure & it'd be fun to do something with a small engine rather than a V8, (Loony's got a supercharger from a modern Mini that would plonk straight on). I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks so money's super tight until I get back, so we're just throwing ideas around, but could be an interesting project & a nice link to my previous Reliant trikes too.

Strange as I've had some thoughts like that going round in my head .You need an older one as a carbed engines going to struggle to pass emissions once past about 84 (I think ?) . Build it LIGHT this time as well ,one bracket doing a minimum of 3 jobs, no thunderous torque to twist anything so doesn't need a beefy chassis.

I can sketch up a strong light chassis once you have components sorted.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:21:50 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6813 on: September 16, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »

Received Ben's T chassis plans by email, so I'll forward them on to you Kev. The Pop chassis is 80mm x 40mm box section.
Absolutely no rush for this one -it's just a side project to tinker with, but we could do with some guidance on what will pass BIVA to give us a starting point with design. I'll email you.

Back to the main plot-
Between rain showers, I took the driver's door off the Pop today & brought it into the workshop for repair.
The bottom edge has had half a dozen repair patches welded one on top of the other over the years & was a bit of a mess. So I've cut the lot away & folded a length of fresh steel sheet. As the body's channelled over the chassis a few inches, the interior door panels finish a couple of inches above the bottom of the door. There was nothing to attach the bottom of the panels to, so the new door sections extend up the inside of the door by 6 inches. Hopefully there's still room to get the window winder mechanism in later.
Mr Loon's welded the new steel where it touches & tomorrow I'll cut a strip to run along the bottom edge to replace the original bit where the outer skin was folded over the door frame.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #6814 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »

Instead of a window winder mechanism have you thought of sticking with basics? Leather strap on a roller to pull up and down and a rubber wedge to lock it into position , or a buckle mechanism on door?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6815 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »

Yup, thought of that, or sliding windows, but I've got the mechanisms, just need to get the glass cut. As they're only about 10 inches tall, they'll probably wind all the way up in one revolution of the handle.

panthershaun

« Reply #6816 on: September 18, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »

you going to start a T thread mate?? I have a dirty great Pontiac 3.9ltr motor sitting in my garage that is pencilled in for a single seat race job type of build.. wonder if I could get that through BIVA?Huh

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
kapri

« Reply #6817 on: September 18, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »

Shaun,don't listen to pub talk, it is perfectly possible to put hotrods though BIVA, been there done that as has Phunkie Highboy. Doesn't have to look like a kit car either.

As I said to Andy ,less is more .Don't need screen or doors to go though either ,lots of ways to build it looking period while still complying with regs . I've all the bits to built an A roadster modified except the time. Will have all the stuff that the 'experts' say won't pass , beam axle, steering box , crossplies , louvres, old steering wheel ,you can even do it with drum braked front if you pick the correct set.
Archie

« Reply #6818 on: September 18, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »

Kev give! Got plenty o time, but none of the bits for me own stuff.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6819 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »

Yes Shaun, I'll start a new thread when I've got something more than just ideas to show. Collecting the bodyshell from Castle Donington, near Nottingham next Tuesday.
If you've read the General Discussion section today you'll know Marcus, (Loony), is in hospital for tests following repeated migraine headaches. Hope all's well, but that obviously means no workshoppin' for me.
Had a couple of door related parcels in the post today though. An expanding net storage pocket from Car Builder Solutions -no room for one on the driver's door, so just one, to go at the bottom of the passenger door, which I can reach from the driver's seat. It has a powder-coated wire frame that screws to the door panel.
Also a pair of black webbing door straps. At the moment I've got metal handles to pull the doors shut from inside, but I'm not overly keen on them. I looked at Morris Minor ones, which are loops of vinyl, but on my old Moggies they used to tear because they tend to be pulled at an angle. So I've gone with the stronger webbing ones. 6 quid each from Ebay.

scannerzer

« Reply #6820 on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »

looking foward to the T thread i'd like one myself Smiley Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6821 on: September 19, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »

Smiley We're determined to keep the costs as low as we possibly can & going for a vintage roadster sort of look, rather than a 60s/70s "fad T" show car. So we'll be blagging secondhand parts wherever we can.

kapri

« Reply #6822 on: September 19, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »

Shame you're not closer I could give you an interns job ( no pay!) building mine . Wink Grin
Archie

« Reply #6823 on: September 20, 2013, 06:01:04 AM »

Shame you're not closer I could give you an interns job ( no pay!) building mine . Wink Grin

I can do Sundays - will work for roast dinners? Cheesy
panthershaun

« Reply #6824 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »

agreed Kev, once my T's are done I will forge on with the Pontiac monster..

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: