May 06, 2024, 01:53:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555748 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #6405 on: June 29, 2013, 08:40:12 PM »

Now then Mr. M, UK, Summer/Winter...or any other season come to that! Angry and bare steel!! its a bit like Peter Kaye and 'Garlic Bread' for gords sake!!! I rest my (case)... opinion ? whatever. Get a coat of Waxoyl on it or you'll never have time to drive it, only scrub it!!!.................. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
spanners

« Reply #6406 on: June 29, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »

he,ll rub/scub it away  Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
kapri

« Reply #6407 on: June 29, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »

Now then Mr. M, UK, Summer/Winter...or any other season come to that! Angry and bare steel!! its a bit like Peter Kaye and 'Garlic Bread' for gords sake!!! I rest my (case)... opinion ? whatever. Get a coat of Waxoyl on it or you'll never have time to drive it, only scrub it!!!.................. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Trouble with Waxoyl, wd40 , anchorwax etc is the crap it leaves on there reacting when you come to paint it . Hence my suggestion of acrylic 1k lacquer , thin but protective and easy to get off.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #6408 on: June 29, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »

Big roller and a couple of litres of B&Q emulsion?Huh? Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Beware the Ides of March, But!
poprodder

« Reply #6409 on: June 29, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »

^^ yes!!! ^^

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6410 on: June 30, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »

If it was lacquered it wouldn't need to be stripped off again to paint would it? Just rub it down, primer it & spray over the top?

Hi guys. Just surfaced after a bit of a late night. My workmate Bob, (Baychimp), & I took a drive up to the Chelsea Cruise in London last night -got home at 2.0.clock this morning. I'm too old to stay out all night! Got a phone call from Archie this morning to see if I fancied a drive somewhere -yeah fine mate but give me a couple of hours to recover!
Some fuzzy photos later, but basically we drove up to the Krispy Kreme drive thru donut shop in New Malden, on the outskirts of London, where we met up with the Surrey Muscle club & assorted other hotrodders. From there we cruised in a ragtag convoy into the city to Battersea Park on the banks of the Thames. Later in the evening we cruised Chelsea Bridge till the early hours.
Pop acquitted itself very well. No major problems, even sitting in heavy traffic through the centre of London, (it gets a lot of attention!), we had no trouble with overheating, although it gets seriously hot n sweaty in the cab. Taking a few more spins of the motor to fire it up now so I'm wondering if the city stop/start driving has fouled the plugs up a bit. Fuel consumption for the 120 mile round trip was down to about 15 to the gallon, but it involved a lot of braarrpping around the city streets, followed by a half hour crawl through roadworks on the M3 on the way home.
Gotta go meet Archie so I'll report again later.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:33:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Mendalot

« Reply #6411 on: June 30, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »

That picky of the Mankey Monkey Pick Up on the bridge is the dogs danglers Andy !!!  Buuuutiful buddy.
I haven't been to the cruise in over 25 years, and would love to have come to have a ride down memory lane. Next time you go can I book a ride  Grin  Wink Wink Wink Shame I havn't got anything that I can cruise in any more Cry

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
kapri

« Reply #6412 on: June 30, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »

Adhesion of lacquer to bare metal isn't that good plus you have to consider what materials can be put over others , certain paints react when put on top of others. Plus you need to put filler on bare metal ,again for good adhesion and finish reasons . Takes hardly any work to remove LIGHT coats of acrylic Smiley

You naughty 'stop out' .Was going to come up but after struggling with the A gearbox I didn't have enough enthusiasm left, looks like I missed a good night.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:30:39 PM by kapri » Logged
Olds

« Reply #6413 on: June 30, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »

Mr Kapri is right. You only need the thinnest of coats of laquer to stop the moisture getting to the steel.
Or perhaps, maybe, you could try something you may not have thought of and may be a bit too radical for you.
That would be to finish the bodywork and paint the thing. Wink
BTW really like it as it is.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6414 on: June 30, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

The bridge pic is seriously cool!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
hunter

« Reply #6415 on: June 30, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

Adhesion of lacquer to bare metal isn't that good plus you have to consider what materials can be put over others , certain paints react when put on top of others. Plus you need to put filler on bare metal ,again for good adhesion and finish reasons . Takes hardly any work to remove LIGHT coats of acrylic Smiley

You naughty 'stop out' .Was going to come up but after struggling with the A gearbox I didn't have enough enthusiasm left, looks like I missed a good night.

Yep you will need an etch primer on bare metal before paint of any sort.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:03:32 PM by hunter » Logged

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6416 on: June 30, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »

Okey doke. Loony's said it may be easiest to simply mask up the door handles, lights etc & blow the whole thing over in a light coat of lacquer as it stands, just to see it through till it comes apart for a proper rebuild.
Revised fuel consumption for last night- about 20 to the gallon, (shouldn't try to work things out at 2 in the morning). So not too bad at all really.
Kev, if you need a hand with the model A, just shout mate. I can make tea & lift & carry stuff ...actually, I can't make tea.

So. Last night we did Chelsea. Lovely girl. The Chelsea Cruise. The first car meet I ever went to as a teenager & one to cross off my To Do list for the Pop. As I said, Baychimp & I trundled up the M3 to New Malden at about 4.30 yesterday afternoon. We're both Postmen so had been up since early morning. I didn't realise it'd turn into quite such a long day!
We arrived at the drive thru donut shop at about half 5 to find just a couple of classic muscle cars there. Not as many as we'd expected. One guy had driven up from Somerset, over 200 miles away. Needn't have worried though -within half an hour or so, cars started to roll in & soon the carpark was packed. The muscle car meet had been suggested by Paul Dodd over on the Rods n Sods forum. He arrived in his freshly painted red 'flaked Oldsmobile & a little while later we were off, a couple of dozen big V8s firing up in unison as we filed out of the carpark & up onto the A3 into the city.
Fortunately Mr Baychimp knows London well, so I didn't have to worry about keeping the guy in front in sight -several cars headed off in completely the wrong directions & several more had to pull over to cool down as we hit the city traffic.
The Pop exhausts run directly under the footwells & floors of the cab & really give off some heat, especially in town. We were soon sweltering, although the engine stayed surprisingly cool & calm. It ran well all evening -it's still not the sedate cruiser I think it ought to be, but it's perfectly driveable & you can't beat the rumpitty rumpitty sound of a V8 rumbling through the posh streets of Chelsea. I've always owned custom bikes & trikes & I'm used to people staring or taking photos etc, but the Pop just seems to make everyone grin. Cool dudes were jumping out in front of us to take snaps on their camera phones, beautiful women were waving at us, diners in pavement cafes were stopping mid mouthful to watch us roll by. A city gent sat opposite us in stationary traffic, staring at the Pop from his Range Rover. I waved at him -& he gave me the biggest grin you ever saw. Yeah, it's fun!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6417 on: June 30, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6418 on: June 30, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6419 on: June 30, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: