May 06, 2024, 08:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555978 times)
spanners

« Reply #6165 on: May 29, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »

its a long,,long time since i,v seen that diagram ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6166 on: May 29, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »

Smiley
So should I be able to push the piston in the lifter down with a screwdriver?
This ain't mine by the way.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #6167 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:42 PM »

Smiley
So should I be able to push the piston in the lifter down with a screwdriver?
This ain't mine by the way.
from what i remember .we used to put a bolt or somthing round and ,sticky up,  Roll Eyes in the vice and turn the lifter upside down and push down on it , and if oil came out as you pushed it, it was ok
i seam to remember something about not being able to push the inner part down if the lifter was the right way up .

tony ,(baldrick  Cheesy Cheesy) will tell you best  Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6168 on: May 29, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »

O.K, so where's the oil come out from?

spanners

« Reply #6169 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »

O.K, so where's the oil come out from?
it,ll come past the ball valve fig5 and out of a little hole in the outer casing  roughly where the line from fig 4 goe,s in.....   on some it may come out around the retaining circlip ,

NeilG

« Reply #6170 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »

I'm most probably totally wrong but i thought they should pump up with oil and stay quite solid.If oil leaked out they wouldn't pump up properly.Thought hydraulic lifters had like a one way valve that let oil in (the ball bearing) but not out.

Don't even know if that makes sense  Roll Eyes Grin
spanners

« Reply #6171 on: May 29, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »

I'm most probably totally wrong but i thought they should pump up with oil and stay quite solid.If oil leaked out they wouldn't pump up properly.Thought hydraulic lifters had like a one way valve that let oil in (the ball bearing) but not out.

Don't even know if that makes sense  Roll Eyes Grin
yep youre right  thats why we had to turn them upside down to depress them.

if you fit them new and they are very dry the engine rattle,s like a tin can full of ball bearings untill they get enough oil.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6172 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »

I'll have a go in the vice tomorrow & see what happens.
As I said, no obvious damage or signs of excessive wear anywhere, so all I can do is replace the pushrod & bung it all back together.

spanners

« Reply #6173 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

i,d put another lifter in place of that one  Wink if its lost its oil whilst its been stood,, its just possible that it allowed the pushrod to escape on start up , hence the bent pushrod,,

the more i think about it the more it seams to be the only logical explanation ,

cunningplan

« Reply #6174 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »

Tappets are a funny thing, they can bleed down for no reason (But you can hear that) but they cant pump up. They are pre loaded between to 20 to 60 thou so if they do, its not realy much. (On mine, I have to take up the slack and then load them 3/4 turn and lock them) As mike said, it could have bleed down and with the wear on the bottom, jumped out and got stuck somewhere.
What I dont understand is that there is less than 1/4 lift at the lifter (The rocker arms are 1.5 to 1) and the pushrod is like a meat hook.
My advise is, even though you should not use old tappets on a diffrent cam, find your spare ones and find one that is flat on the bottom and stick it in.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6175 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

Yeah, it's very odd. With that amount of bend in the pushrod I was expecting to find a big chunk out of the casting the lifter moves in or something.
I've been told before that cam followers, (lifters), should always be kept with the same camshaft lobes. But in this case, it seems sensible to swap it for a spare, just in case.

spanners

« Reply #6176 on: May 29, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »

youve nothing to lose  Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6177 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »

Presactly.

Olds

« Reply #6178 on: May 29, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »

Been looking into this. If the lifter bled down while on the high point of the lobe, as the engine starts the pushrod can drop out of it's socket and jam against the rocker near the rocker shaft (it will naturally fall this way)causing the initial bend in the pushrod. The lifter could then pumps up causing the pushrod to bend more than the lift of the cam.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6179 on: May 29, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

That's exactly what I imagined when I dropped the bent rod back in it's hole today Dave. You could see that that could happen.
I'll double check the valve's moving smoothly tomorrow, (by pushing down on the end of the stem with a socket bar), replace the lifter & pushrod from engine number 2, then rebuild it all with plenty of oil to lubricate the lifters, rod ends & rockers.
Any reason why the replacement rockers have a different shaped foot on them, where they run on the valve stems, to the old ones?

Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: