May 06, 2024, 08:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555999 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6120 on: May 24, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »

Mr Loon had an afternoon off today, (I guess he's allowed to once in a while  Smiley ), so I've got a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon after work, to measure, make, fit & test a kick-down cable bracket, before we head to Londinium.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #6121 on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »

you be carefull what ladies you let sit in it!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6122 on: May 24, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »

Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6123 on: May 25, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »

Hmm, things didn't go quite according to plan this afternoon.
Finally got some sunshine here in Hampshire today, so after finishing my Postal delivery around 1.30 this afternoon, it was straight to the workshop to make & fit the gearbox kick-down cable. The plan was to get it fitted, have a quick spin up the lane & back to make sure it was changing gear O.K, then nip across town to pick up Mr Baychimp for a leisurely cruise up the motorway to London. Yeah, that was the plan.

Made up the new kick-down cable bracket & got it fitted. Good.
Took the truck up the lane & back to check it worked. Motor didn't sound happy. Oil level was low & it sounded clunky. Not so good
Mr Loon took it for a spin. Ten minutes later he rolled back into the yard really quietly. The throttle cable had snapped, but fortunately he'd been able to coast back down the hill. Not good.
We pinched the cable out of Chris's Moggy & bodged it to the end of the old one with an electrical connector. Good. Engine still didn't sound at all right.
Let it tick over for a little while, but in the end I decided I wasn't happy with it. Something was definitely wrong & I didn't want it dying on me halfway up the motorway somewhere. Not worth killing it just for the sake of it.
We thought it could be tappets, but too clunky for that. In the end, having decided I wasn't going anywhere, I pulled a rocker cover off. Number 5 rocker was really loose compared to the rest. Then I found I could twiddle the pushrod under the rocker arm & it'd revolve half a turn & almost fall out from the rocker cup, then stop. Bent pushrod? We pulled the rocker assembly off. Erm, yup. The large valve of number 5 cylinder, (exhaust?).

Fortunately I bought a spare engine for 50 quid just a couple of days ago & it'd could've been a lot worse, (still might be I suppose). Could've dropped a valve & written off the entire motor, or seized it up without warning & slewed us across the motorway, or blown up in the middle of Chelsea Bridge in front of several hundred onlookers. At least it happened in the yard.
So tomorrow or Monday I'll pull the inlet manifold & valley gasket off yet again & see just what's happened. What would cause a bent pushrod? The valve appears to be moving freely. Sticking lifter? The cam's pretty badly worn -"tired" as Kev put it. Might be time for a new one & a new set of lifters, but I've no idea what that'd cost & it'd mean dismantling the whole front of the car to get at it.
Not the end of the world & I'm staying philosophical about it, but looks like I won't be cruising anywhere for a couple of weeks. I'd fully expected the first Summer to be full of breakdowns & disappointments, so I'm not going to get disheartened. Onwards!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6124 on: May 25, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »

Can you guess which one's completely buggered boys & girls?
Yes, that's right. The one that looks like a corkscrew.

spanners

« Reply #6125 on: May 25, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »

and i bet you said ,,f####ng v8,,

was that ok when you last had the valley gasket off .

that would have to be one very stuck valve to do that..

i,v seen simerlar years ago when a ,,stray,, m6 nut went down a carberettor,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6126 on: May 25, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »

Yes Mike, obviously we wouldn't have put the valley gasket back on if the rods had looked like that!
It was a little bit noisier coming back from Hayling Island the other day than it'd been going down there, but nothing that sounded terminal. Could it have picked up as it cooled down & stuck when I next fired it up, (today)? The valves are moving when we push on the heads of them with a socket bar. I'll take the valley gasket off again to investigate, then go from there.

Olds

« Reply #6127 on: May 25, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »

Jeez, never seen one bend that far!
Might be worth having a look at the spare engine and work out which is in the best condition.
The larger valves are inlet 38 or 40mm. Exhaust are 33 or 34mm.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6128 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »

O.K, so it's number 5 inlet then.
Any opinions on what's caused it & what the options are? (spare engine's just for spares or maybe long term refurbishment really after someone local offered it to me, but it came with 4 spare heads).

spanners

« Reply #6129 on: May 25, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »

was the rocker shaft ,,dry ?

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6130 on: May 25, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

Didn't look it Mike.

tbone

« Reply #6131 on: May 26, 2013, 07:45:12 AM »

Siezed hydraulic lifter?

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Archie

« Reply #6132 on: May 26, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »

Dammmm engine furk up pixies?
spanners

« Reply #6133 on: May 26, 2013, 08:18:17 AM »

Dammmm engine furk up pixies?

can,t be the ,FURK UP PIXIE,S... because they are living here and have been for weeks..............

poprodder

« Reply #6134 on: May 26, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

my dizzy is bent, but not that much.

FURK UP PIXIE,S are everywhere!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: