May 05, 2024, 08:53:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555541 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6075 on: May 10, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

Well, looks like the Pop will be trailered to the Basingstoke Transport Festival yet again this year, (assuming Spanners is still bringing his down from Oop North).
Mr Kapri donated yet another day of his time to trying to fix the erratic running of the V8 today. I'm kinda pleased that he's as stumped by it as I was -at least it's not just me being stoopid! The wear to the camshaft shows it's a high mileage motor & a little "tired", but nothing that should make it run so roughly. The mating faces between the cylinder heads & the inlet manifold also appear a little out of true, but again, it should still run reasonably.
Best theory is that there's a huge air leak somewhere in the inlet side of things -but we can't find it. All the hoses seem to be O.K & the rubber blanking plugs are where they should be. I sealed the carb to the spacer block with liquid sealant, & the block to the inlet manifold, & the manifold to the valley gasket, & the gasket to the cylinder heads. So it should be air tight.
We pulled it all apart & found nothing wrong, so decided to fit the SU carbs I bought the other day -then found we'd have to change the kick-down cable for a longer one, which would entail dropping the pan from the auto gearbox to get at that end of the cable, then refilling with fresh oil etc. We also found the core plug under the SU inlet manifold had rusted through, so would need replacing.
I'll let Kev explain his findings, but looks like I'll be driving to Real Steel in London on Monday for a fresh valley gasket & carb base gasket.
Obviously I'm disappointed not to be driving it to the show on Sunday, but as we said, we were expecting teething troubles & I'd rather they happened outside the workshop than at the side of the road somewhere. Plodding slowly onwards. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #6076 on: May 10, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »

i know how you feel andy, mine was suppose to be at our major show on sunday. no chance.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6077 on: May 10, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »

And my hubby's 'princess' broke today as well (his old Jag)

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6078 on: May 10, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »

We're all doomed!

terry t

« Reply #6079 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »

if there an air leak on the inlet side then the carb wont perform correctly as the vacuum from the engine open the power valve. have you checked for air leaks with a butane gas torch air carb clean spray.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6080 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »

Sprayed it all with WD40 & watched for bubbling/draining away. Nothing.

snafu

« Reply #6081 on: May 10, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »

recon the problem could be here
kapri

« Reply #6082 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »

if there an air leak on the inlet side then the carb wont perform correctly as the vacuum from the engine open the power valve. have you checked for air leaks with a butane gas torch air carb clean spray.

As Andy put all accessable surfaces tested with wd40 but no leaks . You can't get to the underside of the manifold which is where the slight distortion on the head is (0.05mm)
To start with

1) Float levels reset
2) plugs removed checked +cleaned ,checked firing outside engine ( noted that it's been running rich)
3) timing on cranking checked =fine.
4) exhaust manifold temps checked ,=all 8 firing.
5) All idles and tickover screws all reset to base level
6) Started and will only run with almost all choke on
7) Fuel just drops in without choke pulled over suggesting not enough vacuum to atomise correctly rather than weak mixture.
Cool Pulls cleanly with choke on but won't idle.
9) Removed all cables and pipework from carb to ensure no outside influences  / leaking pipework.

When manifold removed ran wd40 through angled flange adapter no leaks.
Only leaves gasket between main body and spindle plate unchecked.

Valley gasket didn't look 'all that ' , certainly not the quality I'm used to not even the same as the pressed tin OEM with pressed out sealing edges.
kapri

« Reply #6083 on: May 10, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »

recon the problem could be here

Slight distortion to sealing face is at lower end of the lh head (facing engine ) ,down towards the lifters. and no sealer was applie din that area . Also was areused gasket ( but was playing up before then). Currently I've 'assigned' Andy to get a Felpro valley gasket, a new carb to inlet gasket and a new carb body to spindle plate gasket.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:20:10 PM by kapri » Logged
terry t

« Reply #6084 on: May 10, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »

did you remove the vacuum pipes from the manifold
kapri

« Reply #6085 on: May 10, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »

I'd previously fitted the gasket dry, but after it leaked oil at the back edge, I've followed Chris's advice & used a liberal amount of high temperature sealant.

I mean't just across the front and back and round the water ways, not all the way round the gasket!!

Did you find anything of note when you stripped it down Chris ?
kapri

« Reply #6086 on: May 10, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »

Yup, ALL pipes removed from carb ( nothing attaches to manifold) servo vacuum is taken from below plate on carb.
terry t

« Reply #6087 on: May 10, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »

Yup, ALL pipes removed from carb ( nothing attaches to manifold) servo vacuum is taken from below plate on carb.
where does the carb and dizzy vacuum pipes go
snafu

« Reply #6088 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

assumed the manifold gasket was OEM, or a good copy.
terry t

« Reply #6089 on: May 11, 2013, 06:55:28 AM »

has any one done a vacuum test and a compression test on the engine. if so what were the readings
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: