May 06, 2024, 07:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555956 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5910 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »

And about 50 years too modern! We're going with the pale, pastel green used on loads of old British cars & an original factory colour for Ford Pops. Early Landrovers used a very similar colour.
The sun finally shone today, although it was still chilly. So I spent a while this afternoon trundling up & down the lanes around Chez Loon. It was an ...interesting, drive!
Bad points:
The engine's definitely not right at the moment. Feels really gutless, (compression's a little below 120 but fairly even on all cyclinders), though it might well pick up on the open road rather than slow driving around country lanes. When you put your foot down there's a delay before it really does anything. It's chuffing like a steam train on the righthand rear cylinder. Can't decide if the exhaust is blowing at the head or if the noise is from inside the rocker cover. I'm not even sure it's running on all 8. It's a mass of flat spots & coughs & splutters at the moment.
It can all be fixed, but it's knowing how & where to start that's the trick. There's plenty of well behaved Rover V8s out there, so we know it can be done. I'm hoping Mr Kapri will be visiting us again next week, so I'll ask him to come out for a spin in it with me for his opinion.
The brakes are good, but I'm sure they're still pumping up, (the pedal seems lower on the first push, then comes up on subsequent ones). That may just be my imagination though. When I take my foot off the gas, it doesn't immediately shut down as my daily driver does, but seems to run on a little, meaning I end up stabbing the brake pedal harder than I otherwise would as I find myself almost over shooting junctions.
The steering's vague to say the least! I kept thinking the steering wheel was a couple of splines out of true on the steering column cos the spokes weren't level when I was driving in a straight line -then I found I could straighten the wheel up without affecting which way the car headed at all.
There's barely any steering lock. While driving around the lanes near the workshop there were several occasions when I pulled out of junctions & found I couldn't turn the wheel enough to turn out onto the road & ended up having to back up & take a second turn so I didn't end up on the verge on the other side of the road.
Good points:
It makes me grin & seems to scare other road users!
I had a late day at work today, so it was tea time before I got out in the Pop. People were coming home from their 9 to 5 jobs, racing round the lanes in their little hatchbacks -then suddenly coming across & dirty great Sherman tank of a truck weaving towards them. Lots of pannicky expressions as they stamped on the brakes & skirted round me!
I'm sure the engine's performance can be smoothed out. It seems to be working too hard for the speed we're doing but that may just be how they are, or it may be because we're sat in a rattly, bumpy tin box that exaggerates it all. If it really is, we can always change the diff gears in the back axle as Sherpa axles came in a variety of ratios.
Can't do a lot about the lack of steering lock as the front wheels only just clear the radius arms & exhaust headers on full lock as it is. We could angle the radius arms & rework the 2 front exhaust pipes to give more clearance if we really had to, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to it & allowing for it, swinging wide on corners etc like lorries do. It's just a fairly long vehicle with a very limited turning circle. Driving on main roads will be a lot less hassle than the narrow country lanes I've negotiated today.
Loony & I have both said we may end up swapping the original Ford Pop steering box for something a bit more positive at some point before final paint & powder coat. Maybe a brand new Landrover box for example, to take out some of the freeplay in the steering. The Pop box is also quite lightweight, made of cast aluminium & I worry about breaking it when I'm hauling on the steering wheel as we managed to break one casting while we were building it. Don't know what the tyre pressures should be, but I think they're a bit low, which would make the steering feel even heavier.
Nothing's properly set up & we've only done one proper road trip in it so far, so it's bound to be a bit rough at the moment, but we've got all Summer to fine tune it.  Grin

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:48:10 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
scannerzer

« Reply #5911 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »

When I take my foot off the gas, it doesn't immediately shut down as my daily driver does

this won't have much engine braking being an auto
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5912 on: April 02, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »

Yeah, Loony said the same thing. As I've said before, I'm not used to driving automatics.
This is the green we're going for -eventually.

kapri

« Reply #5913 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »

Promise if I say 8mm silicone when I visit you won't cry ? Wink

Lack of steering lock ? That's what the right hand pedal is for ,though the engine has to be running well to make full use

I'll be there asap but seem to be spending lots of time back at hospitals and doctors at the mo Sad

Poss this Sat if all goe sto plan.
kapri

« Reply #5914 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »

As I've said before you have +-

1) an auto you've never driven before

2) a steering box , outdated on cars for the best part of 40 years ,so an acquired art to driving , especially compared to a power rack

3) Crossplies , each tyre contains a  miniature steering system that wants to do it's own thing plus immediately creates ice under your tyre should you attempt to stop quickly.

4) You have basically 60 year old technology and have to adjust to the driving styles of 40 years ago whilst trying to deal with pilots of cars that are driven well beyond their own limits buzzing all around you.

5) I wish I still had the POS, I'd introduce you to how a rod CAN be driven once you acclimatise Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5915 on: April 02, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »

Fun ain't it!
I'm worried my car's destroying your health Kev! (as well as my sanity).
I called at the local autofactors this afternoon & asked for a condensor for a Rover SD1. The lad behind the counter peered at his computer screen before announcing SD1s weren't fitted with air con!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:16:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

steven brock

« Reply #5916 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »

I bet it's timing on the engine.. N fuel is the carb clean?

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
spanners

« Reply #5917 on: April 03, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »

Yeah, Loony said the same thing. As I've said before, I'm not used to driving automatics.
This is the green we're going for -eventually.
the landrover name for their version of that colour is ,,simple,s,,, = pastel green, Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5918 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

After I got my modern auto, I had to take the Maestro out and thought I had a flat tyre!  I could hardly steer it at all - and that was a 1984 vehicle!   The difference between power steering and no power steering is colossal!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5919 on: April 03, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Cheesy The carb's been cleaned several times, got fresh fuel & 2 inline fuel filters.
Some of the Landrover Discoverys & Range Rovers have a power steering box. Not sure how that works.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:51:08 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5920 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »

Cheesy Some of the Landrover Discoverys & Range Rovers have a power steering box. Not sure how that works.
don,t go an tell me ya, wanting one, Shocked  i think i,ve ,skipped them all,,but still got a power steering pump overhaul/seal kit on the shelf, Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5921 on: April 03, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »

I'd imagine they're huge compared to the Pop one Mike. We're tight for space as it is. Just wondered how they worked really.
I bought a Vauxhal Corsa power steering column when we first started this build, but later sold it to Phunkie. 

flap

« Reply #5922 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »

Your Pop is looking really good, very impressive infact  Shocked My Landrover is that colour green.

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5923 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »

Can you remember where you parked it? Not seen it for a long, l-o-o-ong time.
I shall take you for a spin in the Pop Tart when we get it properly road worthy.

flap

« Reply #5924 on: April 03, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »

Hopefully its still in my garage awaiting a new lease of life, although I've not looked for over a year!
I look forward to a spin in the Manky Mobile  Smiley

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: