May 06, 2024, 07:17:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555956 times)
kapri

« Reply #5850 on: March 26, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »

Don't forget to stick a note in the window telling everyone it passed SVA!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5851 on: March 26, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »

Yeah, I'm really proud of that Kev -& couldn't have done it without you.
I'm going to Write "It's not a ratrod, it's just not finished yet!" in Tippex pen across the back of the cab too!
Just remembered I was going to check the carb accelerator pump arm cos we tweaked the tickover a little. Another job to do tomorrow.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5852 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »

You should print out that blurb you wrote about it for the last Basingstoke show!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5853 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:03 PM »

Just looked for it Bobbi. Thought I had it on file, but obviously not. Still got the print out that I used at Basingstoke in Loony's workshop though.  Grin

panthershaun

« Reply #5854 on: March 27, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »

hopefully see you Friday mate...

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5855 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »

Would be great to see you Shaun.
Things are pretty busy at work at the moment, so another short afternoon at the workshop.
I checked the diff oil in the back axle & topped it up with about 1/2 a litre of EP80/90. It'd run out of fuel again, so nipped out & got another gallon, then ran it for about an hour on tickover while I wire wheeled the paint off one side of the bonnet, (horrible job -the black paint on it seems to be oil or tar based & just smears, rather than sanding off cleanly).
When I turned the motor off, it ran on for a couple of seconds, but didn't do it half an hour later when I started it again to move the truck. Ignition? Does the distributor need rotating slightly to advance or retard it? Or just leave well alone till we've driven it some more?
It also jolts as I select the gears. Loony said I just need to hold it harder on the brake, but is it more than that?
It's all a bit primitive at the moment. I know it's a basic hotrod, but it should still drive as smoothly as the standard car the motor came from. Needs a bit of fine tuning, but I'm not really a mechanic & not too sure where to start. As I said, maybe I just need to drive it a bit first before I start tweaking things.
Realised when I got home that although I checked everything under the back of the truck, I haven't checked the bolts on the steering & suspension at the front, so that's first on my list tomorrow.
I really don't want everyone to see it looking scruffy & half built, but it is an ongoing build, so hopefully it'll get tidier, smoother & more reliable as the Summr progresses. Still not put any road miles on it & we're heading for the WheelsDay show the day after tomorrow!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5856 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »

Autos DO jolt as you go from neutral to drive - and you must always have your foot firmly on the brake as otherwise it will creep forward (or back if you've selected reverse.   If she's on choke she'll be running faster and will jolt more.   If it's excessive once you're really driving it there are ways of adjusting that I've forgotten, we did it to my Maestro.  But it may be one of those things you just get used to and then you won't notice it.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5857 on: March 27, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »

Yeah, I'm just used to having a clutch Bobbi! There's a very definite lurch forward when you select gears, though I don't think the truck's actually moving, just rocking on it's suspension.
I just need to get comfortable with it I think.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:31:09 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5858 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »

Yeah, I'm just used to having a clutch Bobbi! There's a very definite lurch forward when you select gears, though I don't think the truck's actually moving, just rocking on it's supension.
I just need to get comfortable with it I think.
tick over could bit a tad high  Wink +auto box wants a bit more use as its been stood so long ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5859 on: March 27, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »

Ha! Brock's just said the same thing Mike, so looks probable. I'll run it again tomorrow & wind it down a little once the engine's warm.

panthershaun

« Reply #5860 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »

the Zodiac I'm using as my daily at the moment jolts when you put her in gear when cold as tickover is high.. still get a small jolt when warm but nothing major.. I agree, box needs some real good use to work proper like..

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
cunningplan

« Reply #5861 on: March 28, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »

Ha! Brock's just said the same thing Mike, so looks probable. I'll run it again tomorrow & wind it down a little once the engine's warm.

DONT TOUCH THE DIZZY  Roll Eyes
You know the idle screws each side of the carb, turn them out 1/4 turn and when the engine is hot try the gears, sometimes if the engine is running weak it makes it hard to get into gear. (It will also make it run on)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5862 on: March 28, 2013, 10:59:40 PM »

Worth a try if the problem persists Tony.
Climbed under the front end this afternoon & checked all the steering/suspension bolts were tight. No problems that I could see.
Fired it up & let it run for a while, then turned the tickover speed down a tad.
Mr Loon welded the drivers door handle mount back in place, (the handle had been at an odd angle against the door before).
I attacked the bonnet with a wire brush on the angle grinder again, followed by a rub over with some thinners & a scrub with a Scotchbrite pad, to take it back to bare metal. I really like the look of it, plus it shows it's all steel & no body filler.

With everything checked, Loon & I took a spin out to the local petrol station at about 7.0.clock this evening to fill up, ready for the drive to the WheelsDay show in the morning. Quite a big misfire from the left hand bank of cylinders, so Loony had to nurse it most of the 2 miles or so to the station. First time we've driven in the dark & in "real" traffic. As we pulled into the pumps, a car pulled up right behind us & the driver jumped out -"I saw you go past & had to swing round & catch you up". It was the guy who sold the engine to the guy I bought it off! He said that vintage front end really grabs your attention as it drives towards you. It's amazing how much it stands out from normal cars.
I filled up. £35 including a spare 5 litre fuel can, so about 4 gallons in the tank.
Driving back to the workshop, the misfire seemed to have cured itself. Maybe it really does just need a bit of driving. It's definitely been slightly warmer here in the evenings than during the day this week, but even so, we were amazed to find hardly any breeze coming in through the open side windows at all. With a small amount of heat radiating off the gearbox tunnel it was actually quite pleasant cruising along in the dark.
We developed a bit of a rubbing noise from the offside front wheel on the way back. Close inspection back at the yard showed the brake caliper rubbing very slightly on the inside face of the wheel under braking. We used a flap wheel on the angle grinder to sand a tad off the face of the caliper body. Hopefully that's sorted it.   
So, to the best of our knowledge, we're good to go for the morning. We're meeting at the workshop around 8.30 for the 20 mile drive over to Rushmoor Arena near Aldershot. Should be an interesting journey!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:02:21 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5863 on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:19 PM »

poprodder

« Reply #5864 on: March 28, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »

seen this on facebook!!! Tongue Grin

about time you had a drive andy!!!

looks great.

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: