May 05, 2024, 11:10:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555645 times)
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5655 on: February 18, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »

Inspection should be a doddle. They're basically looking for verification on what the paperwork says.

They're nice peeps in the Wimbledon office.

I went with Dslam for one of his fossils for the paperwork part, and the guy behind the desk was really good bloke, helpful and human.

Then a week or so later, took the shrapnel loverlee vintage vehicle on a trailer for the inspection. Different guy, but again, he was a really decent friendly bloke.

A real shame the place is closing down with all the related job losses.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5656 on: February 18, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »

Civil Service counter staff must be a pretty thankless job. I don't know Nice DVLA Lady's name or I'd actually write to the office & tell them how helpful she was -not that it'd do her any good. She was offered a job at DVLA Swansea or redundancy. She's taking the money & leaving, though she did joke that maybe she should set up an advisory agency for people struggling with the paperwork. The top 2 floors of their building have already got To Let signs in the windows.
As N DVLA L said, once they're closed down, future applicants will have to do everything online or by post, submitting one form at a time, waiting for it to be processed, applying for the next etc. The inspection I'm going for next week will be farmed out to VOSA test stations, rather than being done for free by the DVLA.
Progress apparently. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:52:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #5657 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »

The DVLA check the info that VOSA checked when you did the SVA test , even though they are both part of DfT they can't take each others word for it  Roll Eyes

Apparently when the LOs shut THEN VOSAs word WILL be good enough  Huh

Two months time eh ? Looks like they are bringing forward the closures as it was all meant to be phased for Oct/ Nov/ Dec.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5658 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:58 PM »

May be winding down the staffing levels until final closure Kev.
Another trip back with the recovery truck next week will obviously mean another pay out to Scottie. Don't begrudge him that at all, but I'll be glad when all these journeys back & forth, form filling & fees are done. 

kapri

« Reply #5659 on: February 18, 2013, 11:17:29 PM »

The only one you HAVE to trailer to is the DVLA inspection you can drive to the SVA ( now BIVA) with no plates etc ( very exciting ,done it several times ) likewise doesn't have to be trailered to MOT. Mind you the way it ran on the first SVA test it was worthwhile trailering it Wink
andyrennison

« Reply #5660 on: February 19, 2013, 12:05:44 AM »

Really, you can drive to the SVA ?

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
kapri

« Reply #5661 on: February 19, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »

Yup, as long as it's insured on the chassis number ,it's considered a mandatory test as is MOT. The downside is if the find something seriously wrong they can prohibit it so you need to trailer it back.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5662 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »

Yeah, we knew it was going to fail it's first SVA test, but didn't realise quite how much it'd fail by!
Not sure what they'll be looking for next week -VIN number on the chassis, engine number -what else? I'm assuming it's a vehicle identity check, rather than road worthiness? Making sure I'm not trying to re-register a stolen vehicle, or a fibreglass kitcar pretending to be original steel -that kind of thing? Checking it is actually what I claim it is? I was told I don't need to take any paperwork with me at all, but will take my file of receipts again, just in case!
Got a couple of new fuel filters in the post today, so will fit them in the next few days, one between the tank & the pump & the other just before the carb. I've also rebuilt the sticking drivers door lock, as well as fitting an interior handle, (a drawer front handle from B & Q, drilled with hotrod holes).

The doors look a bit Frankenstinian at the moment, stitched together from several donor doors. The welds will be smoothed out though & there'll be an interior door panel over the top eventually anyway. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:05:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #5663 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:17 AM »

They will be checking that it is what you say it is. They have a clipboard with a list of stuff on it and go around mumbling and grumbling and ask you a few questions like where is the chassis number, engine number etc. A bit of polite conversation and away you go.
They will be pleased to see something different. Most of the inspectors time is spent giving people bad news in that that really expensive car they bought is in fact a nicked ringer and they have lost their money. Enthusiasts with different from the norm kit are welcomed as it offers a diversion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:43:02 PM by Dslam » Logged
steven brock

« Reply #5664 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »

Hot rod holes..  Lol  Grin

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
Olds

« Reply #5665 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »

Hot rod holes..  Lol  Grin
Got plenty of those already  Grin

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5666 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »

Specially lightened racing door handles.
As I've said here before, I've got a bit of phobia for tests & exams of any sort. They make me feel genuinely terrified. When we did the SVA test I couldn't go into the building with the truck & had to sit outside till it was over. I'll be so relieved when this is all sorted.

The North

« Reply #5667 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:24 PM »

Specially lightened racing door handles.
As I've said here before, I've got a bit of phobia for tests & exams of any sort. They make me feel genuinely terrified. When we did the SVA test I couldn't go into the building with the truck & had to sit outside till it was over. I'll be so relieved when this is all sorted.

Got to admit i am exactly the same, i went on every training course i could at work flew through the course work but come any exams  Shocked i just went to pieces generaly scraped through like but not at all natural to my way of thinking at all.
spanners

« Reply #5668 on: February 20, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »

i used to be an mot tester and i really hate taking my own stuff for test  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5669 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »

I'm fine with an MOT if I think it's going to fail!   It's when I really think it should pass that I chew my fingernails down to the bone!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: