May 06, 2024, 04:46:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555891 times)
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #5550 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »

Found this for you Andy

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/car_accessoires/maintenance/maintaining_car_parts/anti_freeze_products/725771-12v_windscreen_heater.htm

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5551 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

Smiley a windscreen heater.
I haven't even got a cigarette lighter socket to plug it into! Not too worried about demisting the screen -that's what sleeves are for. We haven't even got glass in the side windows yet.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5552 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »

Arrived at the workshop after work this afternoon, put my overalls on, ate my lunch, discussed with Loony where to start on the driver's door. Then click, the power went out. The rain's been replaced by howling gales today & a power cable had come down in a nearby field, cutting the supply to the 'shop & part of the local village. Poo.
We carried on for a while, Loony rubbing down some paintwork on a customer's car & me fitting an earth wire to the fusebox, then I thought I'd rivet the vehicle weight plate back onto the passenger floor. I'll just drill the holes then ...bugger. No power.
Can't weld the new door hinges in, but at least I can angle grind the old ones ...bugger.
Well, if I can't work on the Pop I can finish filing the front mudguard bracket for my bike. I'll just switch the light on above the bench ...bugger.
Ahh well, put the kettle on while we wait for the power to be restored ...bugger.
To their credit, the Electricity Board guys turned up in force within half an hour, in their shiney new Landrovers & set off across the fields to deal with it, but by half past five it was getting dark & we still had no power, so we gave up for the day.
The Loon tries the re-upholstered passenger seat & pronounces it Very Comfy. Had to take his muddy boots off before he got in, now the floor's been painted.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:58:26 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5553 on: January 30, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »

Should've fitted an opening windscreen!

spanners

« Reply #5554 on: January 30, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

Should've fitted an opening windscreen!
good god,, Shocked Shocked i can smell them feet from here  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5555 on: January 30, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »

Tongue
Providing you were wearing the seatbelt, & they weren't obscuring the driver's view, would it be legal to cruise down the motorway with your toeses in the breeze like that?

hunter

« Reply #5556 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

Must be a small engine in there,That bonnet is only TWO FEET LONG.
I know I'll get my coat.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5557 on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »

Tongue

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5558 on: January 31, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »

We have the power. The power of Grey Skull ...well, the power of Southern Electric anyway.
Normal service had been resumed by the time Loony got there this morning, so well done to the boys in green & blue.
Being my day off, I arrived at the crack of lunchtime to make a start on the drivers door. Can't remember why, but I wasn't about when Loon rebuilt the top of the passenger door. Think he stayed late one evening & did it. So I wasn't sure how it was done.
Our problem is the doors came from a different car & were chopped an inch lower than our bodyshell. So we need to make up the difference. The window frames curve inwards slightly to follow the roofline but because they're lower than our roof, they curve too early so don't follow the same radius.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:54:23 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5559 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »

Fairly simple really. First I ground the top edge of the door with the angle grinder to release the outer skin from the inner one. Then I cut around the edge of the window opening. The outer skin could then be removed.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5560 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »

With the door jacked up to it's proper position, (we've still go to replace the worn hinges on this side), & a few bits of old bracing removed from the door opening, I made a paper template of the gap & cut a strip of fresh steel.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5561 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:33 PM »

It needed to follow the curve of the roofline down to the window, so I dollied it over a length of tube with a wooden mallet. A little sanding around the edges with a soft pad on the angle grinder & it fitted well enough for Mr Loon to step in & do his thing with the weddler. Lots of small tack welds to avoid burning through the thin sheet or distorting it with the heat.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5562 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »

Not bad. It follows the roofline quite nicely. Of course, now the door's effectively welded shut, (do we really need opening doors?). Next step is to cut a new opening through the middle of the new panel. I'll make a template of the other door to make sure they're the same.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5563 on: January 31, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »

While he was at it Loony also pushed the roof panel into line & put a few tacks on it. A lot of body bashing to do yet & it'll probably never be perfect, but should only need the lightest skim of filler before final painting. We've both said we'd like to run it for this season in lacquered or oiled bare metal, just to show off the fact that it's all steel, not built up with filler.

panthershaun

« Reply #5564 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

I think this should be it's name mare, love it..

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: