May 05, 2024, 09:34:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555564 times)
kevsky

« Reply #5535 on: January 27, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »

nice chameleon paint job on that andy in pics 1 and 3 its grey but in pis 2 it's a lovely of someones welding in the background blue

reality sucks thank god for religion
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5536 on: January 27, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »

Exactly what was happening Kev -nicely spotted! Chris, ("Forgotten" here on the forum), was welding his Moggy Minor, which is just outside the workshop door in front of the Pop.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5537 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »

Well, the sub zero temperatures have finally given way to something warmer. 9 degrees today apparently. So now everywhere's ankle deep in mud instead. Heavy rain this afternoon too, which made unbolting the belts from the V Dub out in the yard fun. Turned out they weren't fitted correctly either, with the bottom ends twisted over on themselves. The routing of the belts through the fittings is definitely different to mine though. So I've pinched the VW ones & will replace them later.
I fitted the passenger seat too, but ended up having to take it out & re-fit it 3 or 4 times. I made support frames that bolt to the floor, with sliding runners on top of those & the seats themselves on top of the runners. Trouble is, you can only reach the mounting bolts by sliding the runners all the way forward & back, which you can't quite do when they're in the car. I also found that now the fusebox is fully wired up, it's fractionally higher than I'd allowed for, meaning the seat base rested on top of the lid. Just my luck if a passenger slid the seat back & ended up ripping all the fuses out. So I took the seat out yet again & put half a dozen washers between the frames & runners. That raised it just enough to clear.
So that's the passenger side more or less done. The seat slides back & forth & the innertia seat belt works. As Loony helpfully pointed out, we could've got away with not fitting anything on that side of the car, but at least I know it'll all work.
On to the driver's side now.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5538 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »

one arm bandit

« Reply #5539 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »

looking good that andy shes nearly there now, youve probably said somewhere before but whats that round thing between the seats, ?? Smiley
spanners

« Reply #5540 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »

but whats that round thing between the seats, ?? Smiley
elbow warmer  Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
poprodder

« Reply #5541 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »

thats looking very much like a car!!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5542 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »

Cheesy
Yup, it's a 1950s/60s aftermarket heater. A lot of cars of that age weren't fitted with heaters as standard, so you could buy ones like this, made by Smiths, & fit them yourself. It's like a circular radiator core, with an electric fan in the middle. There's 2 opening flaps on the front to direct the heat. I bought this one for 16 quid from Ebay. They usually mount horizontally under the dash so the warm air blows into the footwells. We didn't have room for that though, so decided to fit it there & make a feature of it. The flaps will be nickel plated eventually. The big valve on the transmission tunnel turns the hot water flow from the engine on & off. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:01:12 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5543 on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

16 quid,, Shocked Shocked that was a steall, they are making over a £100 for a good leak free one now,
i have one for ,,EMILY,, but room is tight to fit it, Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
one arm bandit

« Reply #5544 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

no passenger seat in EMILY then mike Cheesy
spanners

« Reply #5545 on: January 29, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

no passenger seat in EMILY then mike Cheesy
very small bench seat  Cheesy Cheesy very,,very,, small  Wink  no uninvited riders   Wink Wink

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5546 on: January 29, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »

How are you going to prevent the windscreen steaming up when it's wet outside Andy?   I remember back in the day, I had a small heater that stuck to the inside of the windscreen with a couple of 'suckers' - can't remember where it was powered from though, I guess my dad must have wired it for me.  It just warmed the bit that the driver looked through.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5547 on: January 29, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »

Ford Pops had a small vent on each side of the body, between the front wheels & the doors. Some were fixed & some had hinged flaps, depending on the year & which factory they came from. They directed fresh air into the footwells. When we welded in the framework under the dashboard it blocked access to the vent handles, so we removed them & plated over the openings.
PantherShaun is building a Pop too & one of his vents was broken, so he had one of mine. Then I mounted the other on the scuttle, in front of the windscreen. Took a lot of work, but now it opens via a knob on the dashboard & the fresh air is ducted through to a pair of de-misting vents on top of the dash. I've never been sure if you need warm or cold air to demist screens, but I'll have cold air blowing up onto mine, plus the ambient heat of the heater at the back of the cab. It's a pretty small, 2 seater cab, so shouldn't need a lot of heat to warm it up, (the engine kicks out quite a lot anyway).
Failing that, I'll wipe the screen wiv me sleeve!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:03:01 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #5548 on: January 29, 2013, 10:20:21 PM »

andy,, make a note of the size on the label in youre overalls, then when you wear them out i can order some more  Cheesy Cheesy

i,m due a new pair soon  so i,ll ask our john  Wink Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5549 on: January 29, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »

Large, Dickies -that's the name of the company that makes them.  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: