May 06, 2024, 01:32:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555730 times)
kapri

« Reply #5520 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »

These are wonderful things

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Nuts__Bolts_and_Fixings/Rubber_RivNuts,b.html

or for non removable rivet

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Consumables/RivNuts/Aluminium_RivNuts,b.html

spanners

« Reply #5521 on: January 24, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »

i bet andy, gets a ,funny, look of the other postie,s at work tommorrow when he tells them he spent an hour playing with,,, ,his four nuts,, Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5522 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

Uh huh.  Tongue

Kev, the rubber Riv Nuts are the very thing.They'll protect the fusebox from vibration too. Thanks. Just went through the mail order process on the Car Builder Solutions site though & the postage came to more than the nuts. They use a courier company, but will send by Royal Mail for a reduced rate if you order over the phone. So I'll ring them tomorrow.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5523 on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »

Just bought a pack of 10 from Ebay I'm afraid. A third of the price of CBS.

poprodder

« Reply #5524 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

cbs were good on price when they were a smaller concern, but prices have shot up in the last year or so, europa spares are the same price wise.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #5525 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:24 AM »

i buy almost everything from th e'Bay these days
delivered to my door, cheaper then heading out and buying it
obviously a kick to australian industry but when stuff is less then half the cost, what do you do?

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
panthershaun

« Reply #5526 on: January 27, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »

car builder solutions are based near me...  Wink

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5527 on: January 27, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »

O.K, after the forum crash a couple of days ago some posts have disappeared. Our hosting company seems to still be moving things around behind the scenes, so this post may not be here tomorrow! So here's a quick update.
I re-drilled the floor panel & fitted the Riv Nuts. They're a rubber boss with a threaded brass sleeve inside. As you screw the bolt into them the rubber squashes, creating a fixed mounting a bit like a Rawl Plug. Great. They provide secure mountings without having to scrabble under the car to fit nuts. They isolate the fuse box against vibration too. Unfortunately, as Terry T pointed out in one of the missing posts, they also stop the 'box from earthing out through the floor as he'd wired it to do. So now I need to fit a secondary earth strap.   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5528 on: January 27, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »

I've started re-fitting the interior floor panels on the passenger side, as well as the seat base. Today I wiped the rear transmission tunnel over with some "Kurust" on a rag. This neutralises any surface rust & turns it black. It also seems to stain your hands permanently black! (these shots were taken yesterday, before I did that). The fuse box came from Car Builder Solutions, hence the CBS lettering on the lid.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:53:20 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5529 on: January 27, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »

Over the last couple of days I've also bent a length of 8mm round steel bar around the top of the door opening. The original rain gutters were badly rusted & filled with body filler when I got the car. We'll blend this rod into the roofline, so it creates a lip, rather than an actual gutter, but should direct the rain away from the door. It'll also disguise any discrepencies in the door/body fit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:09:26 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5530 on: January 27, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »

Guttering on pick-up cabs like this normally only covers the length directly above the door, but I decided to extend mine from the door hinge at the front to the swage line at the back. Just think it helps to visually tie everything in together.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5531 on: January 27, 2013, 07:25:47 PM »

Next job is to re-fit the seatbelt. We've already welded in the threaded mounts but I spent an hour fiddling with the innertia belt before giving up today.
I suspect I've got rear belts, but not sure. Fortunately there's a VW at the 'shop that I can pinch the belts from, but they don't seem to be properly fitted either. Can someone tell me how the belt should run.
Innertia reel down at floor level.
Belt reeling up the B pillar & looping through the back of the hanging bracket?
Then down across your shoulder to the buckle.
Then back down to the floor.
So you pull on the top length of belt that runs across your shoulder to reel it out.

So where does the end mount? To the same bolt as the reel? If so, it can't bolt in front of it because the reel itself would be in the way. If it goes behind the reel, it would have to poke out sideways or point down to the floor, which would inhibit the belt routing wouldn't it? Should there be a second bolt hole at floor level? If so, in front or behind the reel? I've tried Googling it, (they're "Securon" aftermarket belts), but can't find any fitting diagrams. 

spanners

« Reply #5532 on: January 27, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »

9 times out of 10 the belt end go,s on the same bolt as the reel , in youre case i think it should point out forward,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5533 on: January 27, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »

Ahh right, so horizontally forward from behind the reel then. The belts I've got just don't seem to be set up right to do that. The only way they reel out properly is by mounting the reel at the top of the pillar & the belt loops over the front of the hanging bracket instead of from the back -which makes me wonder if they're rear belts, designed to mount through a parcel shelf.
As I said, there's a spare pair at the 'shop, so I'll have another go tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:26:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #5534 on: January 27, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »

It also seems to stain your hands permanently black!

made me lol out loud!!!!

great progress andy.

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: