May 06, 2024, 04:51:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555891 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5475 on: January 18, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »

Not heard from Loony today so assume he's gone into hybernation mode. Got lots to do, but with no heating it's been ridiculously cold at the 'shop the last few days. Fortunately I'm on holiday from work this week so looks like I'll be taking a snow day today too. Might put me big boots on & take a long walk across town to the nut & bolt shop -at least that'll be one errand done.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #5476 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

its not good here either,, the cold has got a real icy, grip on everything, might pop down the garage ,, just to see if ,EMILY,, is ok,, Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
kapri

« Reply #5477 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »

No heating = work faster !
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #5478 on: January 18, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »

Got snow here again this morning. If I can lodge with you for ever more, I'd gladly bring it over Ben.  Smiley
I've got a hammock in the shed

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5479 on: January 18, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »

There's about 40 degrees difference between your shed & the workshop at the moment Ben -tempting.
Yes Uncle Kev, I'll set fire to something & carry on working immediately!  Grin
The 'shop faces onto open farmland & with the big roller shutter door open, you might as well be working outside. Lovely in the Summer, but stupidly cold at the moment. I'd hoped to have everything ready for MOT this week, but we haven't finished the passenger door yet & still have the driver's one to do.
Now I'm living in lodgings, I can't even bring any small jobs home to do.
Supposed to be visiting relatives tomorrow, but if the weather's still bad, I'll be braving it & heading for the workshop instead.
With nothing to do today, I trudged to the far side of town in 3 inches of snow to buy some bolts for the interior panels from the local tool shop. Took an hour to walk there, only to find a note on the door saying they were closed due to the snow -so who put the note there? So I turned round, walked all the way back, then bought them from Screwfix for half the price instead.

Kev, can you email me the numbers of the forms I need from DVLA to complete the registration please.

Olds

« Reply #5480 on: January 18, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »

So I turned round, walked all the way back, then bought them from Screwfix for half the price instead.

Grin   Screwfix is virtually on your door step  Roll Eyes

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5481 on: January 18, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »

Yeah, I know! And it was cheaper to buy 100 bolts from them than half a dozen from the tool shop. I do try to support smaller shops, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

spanners

« Reply #5482 on: January 18, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »

i,v found a right good engineers bolt suppliers that makes ,screwfix,, look like dick turpin, Shocked

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5483 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

Richard Turnip?
When I lived with Taz in Surrey I used to buy everything from a local place over there that were quite happy to spend 20 minutes going through their stores to find one odd bolt for you. It was always full of restorers waiting to have the thread on some rusty old nut identified. Little places like that are like gold dust these days.

www.margnor.co.uk

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5484 on: January 19, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »

Cold. So very cold.  Sad
Weekends are always busy at Chez Loon, with lots of friends working on their own projects, plus the odd customer.
Nick was working on his VW Golf, (happy birthday for tomorrow Sir), Chris spent the day at the bench welding & grinding the bulkhead for his Moggy Minor & Loony was modifying a pair of coil over shocks for a young lad with a lowered VW Golf.
So all the workbenches & all the grinders were in use plus the welder. That left me making paper templates for the panels around the top of the passenger door, then cutting them from steel.
The outside ones needed a 90 degree bend along the top edge to set the panel back in, as the door needs to close flush with the outside bodywork.
Bit of a jigsaw of scrappy bits, but should look O.K once it's smoothed & painted.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:26:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5485 on: January 19, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »

Inside, I've finished the fill-in pieces down to the bottom of the windscreen, (fiddly as the steel strip needed a twist along it's length).
Also cut a piece to fill the old door handle recess as we've moved it -not essential for the MOT but we'll be driving the truck in bare, unupholstered form for a while & it'd just annoy me.
Waiting for Mr Loon to weld 'em in, then I can cut the last piece & move on to the other door.

kapri

« Reply #5486 on: January 20, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »

You need a V55/4 , has to be collected as is old fashioned carbon copy plus you need to download form Built Up Inspection form V627/1

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065268.pdf

You'll need help filling them so just give me a ring.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5487 on: January 20, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »

Thanks Kev. Collected from where? Can I phone DVLA Swansea & ask them to send me one?
The Loony One tack-welded my fill-in panels in place around the top of the passenger door this morning, but was working on a VW Polo alongside the truck, so I couldn't open the door to make the last pieces -damn him & his paying customers!  Tongue
I quite like the look of the tack-welds. Makes it look like it's all rivetted together.
You can see here how much I've shortened the interior handle by, to move it to a more comfortable position when I'm sat in the cab.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:38:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #5488 on: January 20, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »

Coming together nicely Smiley Swansea should be able to send one out
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5489 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »

Right-o. Erm, don't suppose you have their number?  Kiss

So I moved on to the other side of the truck to start on the driver's door. I ordered some screws for the door lock from Pop Browns last week, but they used several different sizes. Of course, I've got the wrong ones. So I couldn't put the new latch mechanism together.
The hinges are worn out, with 60 years of wear in the pivot points, making them very sloppy. So, as we did on the other door, we'll replace them with new ones, machined for me by Mr twisted Patience. The door needs jacking up so that it sits at the right height in the opening, tack-welding in place, then the old hinges cut off & the new ones welded back on. We thought the front edge of the door would need pushing inwards too, as it protruded quite a bit from the bodywork.
Looking closer at it though, we realised it'd been built up with body filler. I attacked it with a flap wheel on the angle grinder & the filler seemed to just go on & on. Not good. Right. Take the door off & sand the lot off so we can see exactly what we're dealing with. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:06:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: