May 06, 2024, 01:40:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555743 times)
spanners

« Reply #4980 on: June 17, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

loony,s dad is good on the ,lathe,, isnt he?Huh? so it shouldnt be a problem ,,,, primitive ford kingpins and bush,s are a ,,doddle,, to make ...
and if youre,s are very badly worn ,,i.e... through the bush to the steel.. then a standard kit may not be alot of use ....

my dad taught to do kingpins and the like when i was a nipper,,(many years ago  Wink Wink )

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4981 on: June 17, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »

May be the way to go if I can't find a kit Mike.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #4982 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »

Yeah, that's what I need Terry. A kingpin kit. I've heard mixed opinions of the Pop Shop though so will try elsewhere first. Must be classic parts suppliers, rather than custom ones, who stock them Id've thought.

http://www.thepopshop.org.uk/Pages/mechanics%20opage.htm
What about these
http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/plates/6-front-axle-car-5cwt-van
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4983 on: June 17, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

Ooh, that looks promising Terry. Can't afford it for a couple of weeks, (77 quid plus a tenner postage), but I've saved that page to my Favourites List & will give them a call. Thanks for that.

snafu

« Reply #4984 on: June 17, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

with a vehicle of that age you will probably need shims under the thrust bearings to limit the lift
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:39:58 PM by snafu » Logged
terry t

« Reply #4985 on: June 17, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »

Ooh, that looks promising Terry. Can't afford it for a couple of weeks, (77 quid plus a tenner postage), but I've saved that page to my Favourites List & will give them a call. Thanks for that.
May be one of the forum member in the trade.  might be able to get them a bit cheaper at trade prices for you
snafu

« Reply #4986 on: June 17, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »

Andy if you list the part No,s you need, i could give them a call re;

will they give discount against a trade order.
can parts be collected. i will be near North Walsham next week
+ i can swallow the VAT for you
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 05:52:59 PM by snafu » Logged
poprodder

« Reply #4987 on: June 17, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »

andy,

ron at pop shop is ok.
i've order parts before when i had pop, with no problems. but i guess each to there own.

cheers chris.

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #4988 on: June 17, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »

Might be worth giving these people a call ...........

http://www.oldfordautos.co.uk/

Or just on the off chance, Miles might know where you can get some

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
cunningplan

« Reply #4989 on: June 17, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »

I got mine from the popshop last year up the HRDs, they should be there next weekend (The reamer is at the shed)
Also bought a complete Pop front axle (Including brakes and wishbone) the other week for the stub axles as I had problems with mine in the build. There seams like there is no play in the king pins, so will wait until I have changed them to se if I have to fit new bush's.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4990 on: June 17, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »

Snafu, it's 7W-33111 - king pin set. For a 1953 Ford Popular 103e.

I haven't bought from the Pop Shop so can only go on what others have said. I don't like to run anyone's business down on a public forum, but if the kits are easily available elsewhere I'll err on the side of caution & spend my meagre pocket money somewhere else.

Tony, I did wonder if they'd be for sale at the Nostalgia Nationals next weekend. Haven't really got the money till the end of the month, but would try & rustle it up just so I've got a set in my hand to go home with. Not sure I've actually asked you yet, but I've kinda pencilled you in for the job! Thought I'd let you debut the new race car first though before taking up your valuable workshop time with my bits.

cunningplan

« Reply #4991 on: June 18, 2012, 06:20:56 AM »

Snafu, it's 7W-33111 - king pin set. For a 1953 Ford Popular 103e.

I haven't bought from the Pop Shop so can only go on what others have said. I don't like to run anyone's business down on a public forum, but if the kits are easily available elsewhere I'll err on the side of caution & spend my meagre pocket money somewhere else.

Tony, I did wonder if they'd be for sale at the Nostalgia Nationals next weekend. Haven't really got the money till the end of the month, but would try & rustle it up just so I've got a set in my hand to go home with. Not sure I've actually asked you yet, but I've kinda pencilled you in for the job! Thought I'd let you debut the new race car first though before taking up your valuable workshop time with my bits.

There has been a few hints heading my way about the job  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4992 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »

Grin
Been speaking with Mr Snafu. Seems he may be able to sort a discounted price on the kingpins, so should be able to pick 'em up soon.
Talking of picking stuff up, I nipped over to Newbury in Berkshire this afternoon after work & collected the seat frames from the powder coaters. I had to take the seats out to work on the floors so thought I may as well bung 'em in for coating. Satin black.
These are new reproduction Austin 7 frames, intended to be upholstered, which I picked up from an auto jumble for 20 quid the pair. The welding's not pretty, but the upholstered bases hide most of it. The swage lines in the backs are a bit wobbly too, but they add a bit of hand made character! I made some box section bases to attach the seats to adjustable runners.
Early hotrods often used lightweight aluminium seats from war surplus bomber planes. These are our British take on the design. We'd originally planned to have the steel coated in metallic silver to mimic aluminium, but decided on black instead.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:12:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Cabman77

« Reply #4993 on: June 18, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »

You can`t beat a good bit a black I say  Wink Wink Wink Wink

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
spanners

« Reply #4994 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »

You can`t beat a good bit a black I say  Wink Wink Wink Wink
i havn,t had a bit of ,black,, for quite some time  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: