May 05, 2024, 09:49:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555569 times)
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #4755 on: April 27, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »

http://www.chopperweb.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=334031#post334031
this guy made a cooler for his harley
this links directly to the cooler build of his whole build log- huge log!!!!! VERY pic heavy

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4756 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »

I see what you mean Ben. I ended up getting drawn in & reading all about his ride to Sturgis!
He basically built a double skined, insulated box, with 2 small computer cooling fans & TECs -what are TECs? Haven't got room for anything so complicated behind my dash. Hanging the can out the window in one of those holders truck drivers use to keep their drinks cool in the airflow would be a lot easier!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:39:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #4757 on: April 27, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »

its a device that heats/cools when voltage is applied depending on polarity
actually wouldnt take up that much space depending on the type used some are only mm thick

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
poprodder

« Reply #4758 on: April 27, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4759 on: April 27, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

Got a couple of weeks off work now & I'm hoping to push on a bit.
So once the torrential rain had down-graded from watery Armagheddon to light monsoon I made my way over to the workshop.
I thought I'd have a play with the pick-up bed today.
According to the labels, the corrugated sheets I bought the other day are actually repair panels for a VW transporter van. They're not wide enough to cover the bed with one sheet, so I had to buy 3. The fuel cap stands up above the level of the bed so needs protecting with a raised section. When Terry made up the temporary wooden bed for the SVA test, we decided to add 2 ribs, running the length of the bed, with the cap inset into the right hand one. We liked the look of that so I'm reproducing it now in steel.
After several experiments, I decided the easiest way to make the ribs was using the lightweight box section I originally bought to make the rollcage in the cab, but didn't use. 2 pieces, side by side, is wide enough to protect the filler cap. I have enough corrugated sheet left to make a removable lid for the battery box. This'll all be painted black when it's finished.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:39:29 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4760 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

The box section wasn't long enough to run the length of the bed in one piece, so we'll have to join 2 lengths together. They sit flat onto the bed framework, providing a good solid base should I ever carry anything heavy in the back. Loony thinks it'd be easier to weld the floor directly to the pick-up bed, making it one complete unit. That would mean using a hole saw to drill access holes for the bolts that attach the bed to the chassis. The other option, which I think I'd prefer, is to make the floor removable, held to the frame with bolts down each side. I have some small chrome D rings, for hooking luggage straps to, that could be used for that. That would mean I could get the floor panel powder-coated, which would be much more hard wearing than paint. The whole bed is a little out of square & true though, making removing the floor a bit awkward & probably not possible without scratching the paint on the bed sides. I'll think about it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:40:56 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4761 on: April 27, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

Once Loony's welded the floor panels together & to the frame if we go that way, I can move onto the fuel tank. That'll sit in a cradle bolted to the other end of the raised runners. With the tank in place, we have a useable load space around 3 feet 6 inches long by 3 feet wide, so we're never gonna lug bikes around in the back as a lot of folk seem to at shows. Unlikely to carry much at all really, but you never know. Maybe a custom Monkey bike! 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:42:19 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

one arm bandit

« Reply #4762 on: April 28, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »

i like the tank under the window idea pretty cool, as for the back you didnt build it to lug but to look the part and that it does well! 2 bags of shopping from the local will fit lovley in there,  Wink
texon

« Reply #4763 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:23 PM »

i like the tank under the window idea pretty cool, as for the back you didnt build it to lug but to look the part and that it does well! 2 bags of shopping from the local will fit lovley in there, 

And a box of Jaffas   Smiley or 2  Wink or 3 Grin or even 4  Shocked
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4764 on: April 28, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »

Fuel tank behind the cab's a fairly standard feature on custom pick-ups. A lot of guys use spun aluminium tanks from the likes of "Moon" or "Speedway" in the States. Loony's actually got one for his future trike project. I prefer the oval shape of this one though -more interesting. Plus it's another bit of the original car we can re-work & re-cycle.
Not sure how you'd carry carrier bags of shopping in the back -it'd be bounced out & scattered all over the bed -or down the road, by the time I got home. I'll fit some chrome D rings along either side of the floor to attach a stretchy cargo net to, but that's only really any good for larger luggage. If I was serious about carrying stuff, I'd have a vinyl tonneau cover made to fit over the top to keep it all safely inside.
Not a lot to show today, although I've been working on it all afternoon. We've decided to weld the floor into the bed, so I've been trimming the panels so that everything sits nice & flat on the framework & cleaning paint off all the panel edges so Loony can weld them. I'll need to cut access holes for the bolts that attach the bed to the chassis & covering plates for them & maybe access holes for the exhaust mounts too. Needs some thinking about before we weld anything.
I had enough corrugated sheet left over to make a lid for the battery box. It sits flush with the floor. I've got some chrome Dzeutz fasteners in my spares stash that'll be ideal for holding it down. I also cut a finishing piece from flat steel strap to close off the open ends of the corrugated panels, so it looks tidier when the tailgate's open. Still need to tidy up the bottom edge of the tailgate too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:43:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4765 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »

I also bashed another length of steel strap in the vice to form a circular collar around the Reliant fuel tank filler cap. The raised ribs aren't quite wide enough to completely enclose the cap as I'd planned, so this'll work I think. The red triangular thingy's a welding magnet, holding a couple of bits of box section in place until Loony can weld them.
Next job is to drill loads of holes in the floor panels so he can weld through onto the framework below -the floor needs to be pinned down tight or it'll vibrate & drum like mad. I've got a day off from the 'shop tomorrow so will be back on Monday.

cunningplan

« Reply #4766 on: April 29, 2012, 12:01:50 AM »

Dzeutz  Huh  Undecided Cry

I'm using dzus on mine, are your the better ones?? Grin
poprodder

« Reply #4767 on: April 29, 2012, 08:29:54 AM »

lol   Cheesy

nice work there andy. soon be on the road.
are you looking to have it done during your holiday?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4768 on: April 29, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »

I can't even pronounce Dzus, let alone spell it!

http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/catalogue/dzus-fasteners-fairing-p-173161.html

Biggest job to do before the MOT test is to rebush the front kingpins, (front steering joints), to sort out 60 years worth of wear n tear. A job for you Mr CunningPlan! Can't afford the kit for a couple of weeks yet, but will be in touch when I've got it.
There's actually lots left to do but, typically, I haven't got much cash until after my 2 week's holiday, so I'm doing the bits that don't cost anything or that I've already got the materials for. I also don't want to start stripping apart anything mechanical with the Basingstoke Transport Festival only 2 weeks away, (although I'm still working on a way of getting the truck there). I'd like to get the cab interior & pick-up bed done while I'm off.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:44:17 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #4769 on: April 29, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »

Zooss (dzus) have a factory just up the road from Mankyland in Farnham............

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: