May 06, 2024, 09:48:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556045 times)
poprodder

« Reply #4695 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »

interesting reading guys.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4696 on: April 14, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »

Well I like Kev's viewpoint, & I like Ian's viewpoint. But which is best? Only one way to find out...  Cheesy

Kev, you can't leave me now! We can work it out. I can change. I love you!  Kiss

I always hope we can be a bit like the BBC here -no, not endlessly repeating things. I mean entertaining & informing the masses. The one thing that comes up most in the feedback we get from readers is how much information there is in the forum. Obviously we want that info to be as accurate as possible, but there does seem to be quite a few grey areas when dealing with Government departments. As Kev says, the local offices are being closed down in favour of one central one at Swansea. That'll be a pain for everyone, except those that live in Swansea, but at least we'll know where we stand, with everyone working to the same rules.
Personally, I think the more supporting paperwork I've got the better, plus I'd like to know the parts not tested during the SVA exam are road worthy.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:04:34 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #4697 on: April 14, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »

andy,
will the dvla computer allow it to have an mot?

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #4698 on: April 15, 2012, 06:15:02 AM »

Byzmax, hope I haven't come across as too arguementative , difficult to state rules and regs without sounding that way.

Just stating ACEs current understanding by way of direct correspondence with VOSA Tech and DVLA Policy. If there is provable info out there that we are currently unaware of , and contradicts what we have been told is gospel  in official Press releases, we WANT to take it back up with them. Our whole purpose is making sure we have the correct facts to offer to those in need of help. Smiley

You don't come across as argumentative.  Wink

We all have different experiences with the DVLA as they never train their staff properly and appear to make it up as they go along which is why we end up with no definitive answer.

Personaly, I think you should have to MOT a Q plate from new because of the reasons you have stated but the law says you don't need to.

If Manky's POP goes down as a commercial vehicle then than might make it different possibly.

However if they say you need an MOT and you want it on the road then it's a good Idea to get one then argue with them about it after then event. Then you can get a refund  Grin

I know all the stuff about bald tyres etc and many other weird rules and omissions at an IVA/SVA etc but an MOT only says the vehicle was fit for use at the time of testing.

I'm looking forward to someone coming up with an answer  Wink

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
kapri

« Reply #4699 on: April 15, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »

Well I like Kev's viewpoint, & I like Ian's viewpoint. But which is best? Only one way to find out...  Cheesy

Kev, you can't leave me now! We can work it out. I can change. I love you!  Kiss

I always hope we can be a bit like the BBC here -no, not endlessly repeating things. I mean entertaining & informing the masses. The one thing that comes up most in the feedback we get from readers is how much information there is in the forum. Obviously we want that info to be as accurate as possible, but there does seem to be quite a few grey areas when dealing with Government departments. As Kev says, the local offices are being closed down in favour of one central one at Swansea. That'll be a pain for everyone, except those that live in Swansea, but at least we'll know where we stand, with everyone working to the same rules.
Personally, I think the more supporting paperwork I've got the better, plus I'd like to know the parts not tested during the SVA exam are road worthy.

Don't worry not going anywhere Andy, hope to still contribute to the forum where any info or tech I have can be useful.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4700 on: April 15, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »

Looking forward to meeting up on a few runs in the Summer Kev.
Interesting variation on the Pop pick-up theme at the Krispy Kreme rod meet in New Maldon, Surrey this morning, (pics taken from FaceBook).
Apparently it's first outing. Full height roof, original chassis?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4701 on: April 15, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #4702 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »

Back to the subject of "Q" plates and Mot's

This is an extract from a letter from the Department for Transport on the subject.

Pinched from the Britchopper Forum and supplied by Sooze who is the font of all Knowledge on such things and has the required contacts to get the info from the horses mouth so to speak.

"With reference to Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which covers the obligatory test certificates for the high way use of registered vehicles; Section 47(2) of the Act defines the requirement for vehicles to be MOT tested not less than three years after its first registration or first manufacture.

The date that a vehicle is registered with a Q prefix mark comprises the date of first registration. There is no definition of 'first registration' which is relevant to these circumstances; and therefore the words must be given their normal meaning. This has the effect that vehicles with a Q prefix mark will now have three years from the date of that registration before being subject to the requirement of an MOT test.

Jon Drea
Legislative Requirement Department
DfT."

Hope that clears up the any confusionv Wink

I'll see if I can get a copy of the full ruling so peeps can print it out and take it with em to the Post Office, DVLA etc and wave it under their nose if required.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4703 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

That does sound pretty definitive doesn't it.
There's a lot of parts of my Pop that need more work though before I'd want to take it out on the open road. Even if an MOT's not necessary, it's a good benchmark of the truck's general road-worthiness. Personally I think it's still worth doing.

kapri

« Reply #4704 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »

This is an extract from a letter from the Department for Transport on the subject.

Pinched from the Britchopper Forum and supplied by Sooze who is the font of all Knowledge on such things and has the required contacts to get the info from the horses mouth so to speak.

"With reference to Section 47 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 which covers the obligatory test certificates for the high way use of registered vehicles; Section 47(2) of the Act defines the requirement for vehicles to be MOT tested not less than three years after its first registration or first manufacture.

The date that a vehicle is registered with a Q prefix mark comprises the date of first registration. There is no definition of 'first registration' which is relevant to these circumstances; and therefore the words must be given their normal meaning. This has the effect that vehicles with a Q prefix mark will now have three years from the date of that registration before being subject to the requirement of an MOT test.

Jon Drea
DfT."

I'll see if I can get a copy of the full ruling so peeps can print it out and take it with em to the Post Office, DVLA etc and wave it under their nose if required.

I know of Sooze, she's very good at what she does .:tup:

If you can get the full transcript of that I'd like to get it put up on the ACE site. With due credit to Sooze of course.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:03:35 AM by kapri » Logged
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #4705 on: April 18, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »

That does sound pretty definitive doesn't it.
There's a lot of parts of my Pop that need more work though before I'd want to take it out on the open road. Even if an MOT's not necessary, it's a good benchmark of the truck's general road-worthiness. Personally I think it's still worth doing.

I agree Andy that an MOT on a Q makes sense but as a legal point that the DVLA don't seem to know about or only some people know about it needs highlighting.

It is not the only issue they seem to get confused about with custom vehicles so it's useful to use highlight the issues we have and god knows I've had enough delays with them over the years due to staff not knowing the regulations.  Roll Eyes

Jon Drea
DfT."

I know of Sooze, she's very good at what she does .:tup:

If you can get the full transcript of that I'd like to get it put up on the ACE site. With due credit to Sooze of course.

I'll see if I can get it and send you a copy.  Wink

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4706 on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »

When you get the transcript can I suggest when you post it anywhere you make it quite clear what the information is valid from - there's a lot of out of date info about trike on various sites which people could read and think it's current.  Cos they do keep changing it.......

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4707 on: April 18, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »

Good point Bobbi.
In the meantime, back to the plot.
After the drama of last week's last minute test pass, I took a few days off from the workshop. I was also off work until the weekend, so didn't return to the 'shop until yesterday.
No photos to show you, but I'm easing myself back into it all by sorting out the interior. The footwell panels were tack-welded in place for the test, so need pulling out & bolting in properly. That'll require various tabs, captive nuts & bolt holes. I'm also finishing off the curved panels under the dash, as well as the last section of the gearbox tunnel.
I still haven't properly driven the beast, (it's been raining here for 2 days & the truck's still in bare metal), but if it's reasonably comfortable to use, I think I'll leave the brake pedal just as it is. It works, so no point fiddling with it. Kev suggested a softer return spring on the throttle, so I'm looking for something the same length as the existing one but weaker.
I also want to pull up the floor panels, which have been hacked about a lot during the brake rebuild, & replace them with bolt-in panels in slightly heavier gauge steel.
I want to move the interior door handles cos they sit right where my knee rests against the door. I've got a couple of scrap doors so will just cut patches from those & weld them in to the new doors as needed to re-site the handles as close to the back edge of the door as I can.
The inertia reel seatbelt mounts are already done, so they can go in.
Reports from my SVA test drivers suggest the V8 chucks out a lot of heat & the cosy cab's gonna be a real sweatbox in the Summer. I'm tempted to take out the heater -it's currently disconnected cos the plumbing was leaking -but Loony & I both like the ridiculously complicated cut-out in the side of the gearbox tunnel for the water valve, so it'll probably stay, but rarely get used.
We plan to upholster the cab by hanging square panels in the gaps between the "rollcage" tubes, covered in black "tuck n roll" pleated vinyl. So I can make up threaded mounting tabs to go in the corners of the gaps.
I ordered a new windscreen rubber from Chris at Pop Browns this afternoon, (he says to say Hi Kev). Turns out we'd been struggling with the wrong style of rubber surround, so hopefully we'll have more luck with the new one.
That lot should keep me busy for a week or so, but will see the interior more or less finished then.
I need to tackle the leaking front brake caliper hose & have already bought a pair of armoured rubber GT6 hoses, but I'll have to make up short copper pipes to connect to them. With the Basingstoke Festival of Transport just a couple of weeks away though, I'll probably leave them till afterwards.
Still got no idea how I'm going to get the truck to that show yet.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:08:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

dobber

« Reply #4708 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

are you north or south of the show

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Clive

« Reply #4709 on: April 18, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »

Left! Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: