May 06, 2024, 04:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555891 times)
poprodder

« Reply #4500 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »

hi andy,
email sent,
cheers chris.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4501 on: March 22, 2012, 12:13:16 AM »

Cheers Chris.
A late day at work today, so less workshop time. I finished measuring & cutting the panels to create the footwells inside the cab, ready for Loony to weld it all together.
Kev's due back on Friday to have another go at the brakes, having stripped & cleaned the calipers at home.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4502 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »

Another long day at work, followed by lots of visitors at the workshop, including a workmate who needed help with his car exhaust -so not a lot achieved.
I've got a list of small welding jobs for Loony to do when he's free & I'm slowly adding to it. I've completely redesigned the footwell panels since the last test. Because the gearbox tunnel takes up so much room, I can only get one big steel toe capped boot in the passenger footwell. I might have to buy some special driving plimsoles.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4503 on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »

I'd already made the curved panel under the passenger side of the dash, but it needed trimming down to fit around the new shaped tunnel & footwell panel. The little glovebox just about fits in, tight up against the tunnel. The wide lens on my camera makes everything look out of square, but it's not really -honest. The plan is to paint the fibreglass dashboard, currently in yellow primer, in gloss black. Then the curved under-dash panels will be covered in lightly padded black vinyl, to match the gearbox tunnel.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4504 on: March 23, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »

The glovebox is tiny -about 5 inches square &, because of the brake pipes running behind it, just 3 or 4 inches deep. Literally room for only a pair of sunglasses, or my house keys, or a phone etc. We kinda like it's ridiculous smallness though.  Smiley Need to find a hinge & a tiny chrome push button latch for it now if anyone has anything suitable.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:42:35 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4505 on: March 23, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »

Another afternoon awash with brake fluid today. Kev came up from the South Coast again & brought the stripped, checked, lubricated & rebuilt front calipers with him. We fitted them, bled them, bled them again. Still not right. Bugger.
When the brake pedal's pushed, the caliper pistons are moving freely, but the caliper body's actually flexing the mounting bracket. That ain't right.
The truck's sat on axle stands with all 4 wheels off the ground, so we checked how far the pedal had to travel to apply the brakes. Fronts should lock up first. Yup, that's good. About an inch of pedal travel & very little effort required. Great. Now the backs. Spin the rear drum, push the pedal ...nothing. Huh? Push harder. Still nothing. Push the pedal almost to the floor & they finally lock up. What's going on?
We adjusted the brake shoes to reduce their travel inside the drum. No difference.
Seems there's no fluid getting to the drums. The brake cylinders aren't moving when they should. Kev confirmed this by switching the ignition on & pushing the pedal. There should be over 500 pounds of pressure in there. The brake light switch only needs 15 pounds to work, but the lights aren't coming on till the pedal's almost at full travel. Following a process of elimination, either there's a huge air-lock in the pipes somewhere, or the master cylinder isn't pumping fluid to the rear. We've pressure bled & manually bled everything a million times today & we're sure there's no air in there.
So it has to be the master cylinder. It's a dual circuit cylinder, so has 2 pistons inside, one behind the other. When you press the pedal, the first piston is moved, supplying fluid to the front brakes. That's followed by the second piston, supplying the rears. It looks like the second piston's stuck at the far end of the cylinder, so no fluid's going to the back end. The front caliper mounts are flexing because we're practically standing on the pedal, so they're getting the full force of the pressure that should be split between fronts & rears.
We called it a day at that point, but Kev's coming back tomorrow & is confident we're on the right track now. Gawd I hope so!
I should say a huge Thank you to Chris, ("Poprodder"), by the way, who packaged up & posted his Triumph Spitfire front calipers to us. They arrived safely this morning, all the way from Norfolk -22 quid postage! They're our Plan B, but with luck, we won't need them. Thanks Chris.  Wink
3 days left till the test!  Shocked
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:00:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

terry t

« Reply #4506 on: March 23, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »

Kev did you pressure test. the front brake line before fitting the calipers
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4507 on: March 23, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »

Yes we did -over 500 pounds Terry.

terry t

« Reply #4508 on: March 23, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »

did you swap the front and rear circuts over on the master cylinder
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4509 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »

No. We only had a couple of hours & a lot of that was taken up by thinking time.  Tongue

terry t

« Reply #4510 on: March 23, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »

so if you got over 500 p/o/p on the front lines. when we checked the master cylinder out last sat the rear brake were 450/500 p/o/p.
so going by that it the calipers still
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4511 on: March 23, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »

Front calipers are definitely locking on Terry. As you know, it means nuffink to me. I'm sure it'll be fixed, just got to be done before Tuesday!

terry t

« Reply #4512 on: March 23, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »

Front calipers are definitely locking on Terry. As you know, it means nuffink to me. I'm sure it'll be fixed, just got to be done before Tuesday!
I know mate. but they were locking on before. Kev cleaned  them as well. don't know
Tony oily bike

« Reply #4513 on: March 24, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »

This may not be of any use, but just in case.
On a standard production car I had a pair of front calipers that only partially released, inspection didn't expose any damage etc, and it ended up that the disc had worn too thin. So just maybe the pads are having to travel too far?
As I say, may not be of any use.

Good luck guys

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
terry t

« Reply #4514 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »

This may not be of any use, but just in case.
On a standard production car I had a pair of front calipers that only partially released, inspection didn't expose any damage etc, and it ended up that the disc had worn too thin. So just maybe the pads are having to travel too far?
As I say, may not be of any use.

Good luck guys
Hi Tony. Thanks for your reply. but the disc and pads are new. the calipers are new reconditioned ones.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: