May 05, 2024, 09:54:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555572 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4200 on: January 11, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »

Another day lost today. It's Loony's birthday, so he would've taken the day off anyway, but he's come down with a cold, (he insists it's life threatening). We'd planned to visit a couple of local hotrod workshops as it's my day off too, but he decided he wasn't up to it.
3 months yesterday to get this thing finished & registered.  Sad
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:36:43 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #4201 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

hows it going with the brakes Andy. have you heard from Kev.
once there sorted and the floor and gearbox tunnel are back. i can sort the wiring out.
have you got enough brake pipe etc.as the pipe work to the rear brake needs altering for the compensator to be fitted.
poprodder

« Reply #4202 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »

we've had galling on 3/4" keel bolts, sometimes it can be the bolts at fault,but does help if lubricated well.
we had 3ft stilsons on them. thread too tight.(supplied by customer)

mouse

« Reply #4203 on: January 11, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »

Another day lost today. It's Loony's birthday, so he would've taken the day off anyway, but he's come down with a cold. We'd planned to visit a couple of local hotrod workshops as it's my day off too, but he decided he wasn't up to it.
3 months yesterday to get this thing finished & registered.  Sad
Bl**dy hell mate that dont give you long all best of luck with it Andy

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4204 on: January 11, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »

If we miss that deadline we'd have to start all over again & rebuild the whole truck to comply with the much tougher BIVA test, (the one the kit car guys have to build to). Not sure I could face another year's work -so yeah, I'm getting worried.
Only had problems with stainless bolts fairly recently. They screw in with no trouble at all but suddenly stiffen up, even though there's threads showing the other side of the nut. Had it 3 or 4 times on this build now & always in the most awkward of places to reach -so I'm not using stainless again.
I emailed Kev, (Kapri), a couple of days ago, but not heard back from him yet. As far as I know I've got all the necessary brake parts now, including about 2 metres of copper pipe. I think I'll probably pick up another roll to be safe though. Might need some more plastic pipe clips but won't know till we've re-routed everything.
I was fitting the gearbox tunnel when the bolts "galled". Messing with the dashboard/footwell panels at the moment, while waiting for Loony to weld the silencers. Need the dash bits in place so I can re-work the main tunnel section.
Everything's progressing bit by bit, but agonisingly slowly.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:39:30 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #4205 on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »

you need to learn to weld andy. best thing i ever did.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4206 on: January 11, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »

I can weld. My battered ol' 150 MIG's at Loony's workshop. It's fitted with a reel of stainless wire, which we use to weld the stainless exhaust bits. I've got no gas left, so we swap Loony's bottle over onto my machine. The stainless wire's too expensive to waste on mild steel welding & I'm no good at welding thin sheet cos I'm used to welding heavy gauge trike tubing. Haven't got the time left to start practising on this project. It was also part of the deal when Loony bought my Triumph Speed Triple that he'd do the welding & body repairs on the Pop.
I build up a pile of parts that need welding & find other things to work on until Loony's got the time to do it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:15:37 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4207 on: January 12, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »

Mr L's ailment's been upgraded from a cold to a chest infection & it looks like he won't be back at the 'shop again this week.
A heavy day again at work for me, so by the time I'd collected the keys from his place, I didn't get there till 3 this afternoon. Then his Dad called in to lock up & take the keys home at 5 -so not much progress.
Managed to remove the flanges on the gearbox tunnel that held the captive nuts that I buggered up yesterday & cut new ones, ready for Loony to weld new nuts to, before we re-weld them to the floor.
I still fancy a bonnet badge of some kind & was messing about with ideas last night. I don't want to use an original Ford, Popular or Anglia badge cos it's not really a standard car any more. Tried a winged M, by using a Matchless tank badge, but people recognised it & asked why I had a bike badge on my car. So I needed something unique. I played with various versions of a winged monkey head, but eventually settled on just the head. I've tried to make it wider than it is tall, to fit the space on the grille shell. Not easy to draw a different view of the side profile head we use on the website. This was the best I could come up with. Might make it slightly bigger.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4208 on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »

Various members here have mentioned having access to lazer cutting machinery. Is it possible to cut this from, say 3 or 4mm stainless or mild steel plate, roughly 125mm wide? It'd need all the details etched into the outline shape obviously. I'd have to be able to fit 2 mounting studs on the back, maybe M6. If it were stainless it could be polished. Mild steel could be nickel plated. The grille shell's got a curved top, so I'd either have to bend the head slightly to fit, or hammer a flat area into the shell.
Any comments?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:05:49 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

steve brock

« Reply #4209 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »

Hi yes that can be achieved send me the drawing over and I'll get one some cut on our next laser cut run, I'll draft it up and show ya before we get it cut, we are running 3mm soon . S Smiley

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
steven brock

« Reply #4210 on: January 13, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »

bit of a pain to draw but look at the image to the left... has to have some sections attached to generate the nose etc
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:18:50 PM by steven brock » Logged

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4211 on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »

I think it's great!   People who know MMM will recognise it, and those who don't will want to ask!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
lunatic

« Reply #4212 on: January 13, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »

I shall return tomorrow to wield the firey torch of metal sticking. And cough alot. Im not well ya know!
spanners

« Reply #4213 on: January 13, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

I shall return tomorrow to wield the firey torch of metal sticking. And cough alot. Im not well ya know!

metal ,,stickin,, thats what i spent the day trying to do ===weld up a lace curtain ==  landrover discovery  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
lunatic

« Reply #4214 on: January 13, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »

Ah, i remember doing the rear floor and inner rear arches on one of them. It were no fun!
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: