May 05, 2024, 10:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555623 times)
tbone

« Reply #4050 on: October 30, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »

The fan is fine Terry, I`ve never seen one face the other way  Wink

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
terry t

« Reply #4051 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »

Ok thanks Tim. Just checking dont want to get another one and find its wrong
spanners

« Reply #4052 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »

Ok thanks Tim. Just checking dont want to get another one and find its wrong

if you find one with the fins in the other direction

youre either lookin arsed about face.

or looking at one of a very ,,very,, rare vehicle  with a reverse rotation engine or a early  saab or even a rare year,month  commer two stroke that had a backwards facing alt driven off the,, blower,, shaft..

this  isnt  ,googled,, ive, been there Cool

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
panthershaun

« Reply #4053 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »

or looking at one of a very ,,very,, rare vehicle  with a reverse rotation engine
like an NSU..

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
spanners

« Reply #4054 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »

Cool Cool Wink Wink  long time since i worked on a NSU  or  even a WANKEL come to think of it

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4055 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:45 PM »

Back to the workshop again after work today. With the clocks having changed this week, it was dark by 4.30 in the afternoon & even with a lead light it was too dim to do much around the cab of the truck.
As Loony's Dad keeps telling me, the brakes are top priority. Unfortunately, I can't do anything with them at the moment. Kapri's working on a solution, but we need the engine running so he can check the servo's performance.
So we need to fine tune the carb with a vacuum gauge & get the motor starting & running reliably. I've got a new oil filter & will change the oil on Friday.
We need to quieten the exhaust. Extra baffling will affect the carb tuning. There just isn't any room to fit extra silencers, so I've ordered some motorcycle type inline baffles & will splice them into the existing pipework.
There are other jobs to do in the meantime. Today I pulled the gearbox tunnel out to have a look at the gearchange linkage. We've been having trouble selecting Park & are having to start the engine in Neutral. 2 hours of struggling later, I finally got the tunnel out, after unbolting both seats, (I could only remove the driver's seat as the wiring loom runs over the base of the passenger one), & removing the handbrake. Definitely got to rework the joints between tunnel sections before it goes back together to make removal easier.
The Borg Warner auto gearbox came from a Rover P6. The linking rods for the gearchange are pivotted to change their direction from horizontal to vertical. For some reason the pivot point is mounted on a sliding plastic block, mounted on the bellhousing. General consensus is that the gearstick was mounted to the floor in the original car, rather than direct to the gearbox as we have it & the slider took up any movement between the 2. We need to lock the slider up as it's messing up the changes.
Took it apart & found someone's already had a go at limiting it's movement. Yup, that's an old nut & part of a bolt, wedged in either side of the pivot.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:06:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4056 on: November 02, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »

This is what the slider should look like, (this is PD's Rover motor). The white plastic slider of my gearbox has been hacksawed in half.

spanners

« Reply #4057 on: November 02, 2011, 10:31:01 PM »

i thought when i replaced them ,,years,, ago they came in two parts that ,clipped, together  but yes youre,s looks a ,little butchered,,

and i,m no expert anymore ,,

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4058 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »

Yes Mike, the plastic block's in 2 halves, but the rear hinged section's been cut off mine.
I'm wondering if we can do away with the pivot altogether & run a single rod straight from the selector to the box.

terry t

« Reply #4059 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »

we don't know what the DBs are at the moment Andy. when we checked it wasn't it about 98DBs in the work shop and with the engine not running right over heating and the dwell out.
i would wait until the carbs is set up the test the DBs before cutting the pipes.
just lock the slider off on the gearbox and try that.its should not move when selecting gear.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4060 on: November 03, 2011, 05:13:23 AM »

When your meter said 4,000 revs, (3/4 throttle as required for the test), it was reading 106 decibels Terry. Maximum allowed's 101.
I was drilling the plastic slider to fit a bolt to hold it in place when I discovered someone else's low tech solution.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:35:56 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Cabman77

« Reply #4061 on: November 03, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »

done a few V8 trikes, and other auto boxes, and always just done a direct linkage to the box. It normally meant gear selection was reversed though.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4062 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »

Slider unit bolted up tight with a length of 6mm studding. Seems to have done the trick. Now it selects Park & starts as it should. Haven't tried the furthest Drive position at the other end of the box yet though.
Made a start on cutting the tunnel in half & adding flanges to make removal easier too.

Cabman77

« Reply #4063 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

if you fit a kick down pedal and don`t have a towbar, when are you ever gonna need the other two gears?Huh? Huh Huh Huh Huh

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
terry t

« Reply #4064 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »

if you fit a kick down pedal and don`t have a towbar, when are you ever gonna need the other two gears?Huh? Huh Huh Huh Huh
for burn outs. Cheesy. and boy racers at traffic lights  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: