May 06, 2024, 05:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555915 times)
hunter

« Reply #3795 on: October 06, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

Andy i once fitted a screen in a rascal van, with the help of a mate and a piece of string and some fairy liquid,i was supprised how easy it was.

I
bigdarren

« Reply #3796 on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »

Andy i once fitted a screen in a rascal van, with the help of a mate and a piece of string and some fairy liquid,i was supprised how easy it was.

hunter we tried that the string the lube plus 4 of us and we still couldnt get it in lol  Grin

if you cant fix it with gaffa tape or cable ties then its broken
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3797 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »

Yup, tried that. The problem is it's not a pre shaped rubber surround. We've cut the roof height, so a standard screen & rubber's no good. I've got some off-the-roll windscreen rubber, but it doesn't fit the glass particularly well, especially on the sharp bends at the bottom corners. I made a cardboard template & had the glass cut locally, but it may be slightly too big. If there's any experienced glass fitters local to Basingstoke, Hampshire, give us a hand please!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3798 on: October 07, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »

Well, as I speak, Terry's at the workshop, hard at work with the rest of the wiring. So why am I at home?
Taz, (my missus), runs a busy stable yard & has done her back in. Loads to do today & she can hardly walk. So I've taken her Landrover to the local tyre centre to have a slow puncture fixed, then chauffeured her to the horse feed supplier, then back to the stables. Dropped her there & had to hike back across the estate, all 800 acres of it, to pick up my own car to head to the workshop. Some errands of my own to do on the way, but I'm on my way Tel, honest!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3799 on: October 07, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »

Hmm, a bit of a mixed day today.
When I finally arrived, Loony was heading home, trying to rest his injured neck so he can fix the doors up over the weekend.
Terry was busy wiring the fuseboard, which sits under the passenger seat inside the cab. By the end of the day he had everything working except the indicator/hazard light switch on the steering column. I've been told before that these have peculiar wiring, but not having a clue how anything electrical works, I was no help at all.
I found this pic of one in Google Images, which shows it with a 3 pin flasher relay. Our pre-wired fuseboard only has a 2 pin one though. Terry managed to get the indicators flashing & the hazards working, but not through the switch, (I think). Inside the casing, there's a bulb attached to the indicator stalk. As the stalk's moved the bulb moves under the green & red lenses, (top & bottom are green for left & right indicators, with red in the middle for the hazards. He got the bulb to flash under the green lenses as it should, but it stayed on when under the red one, when it should only flash with the hazards.
If you've wired one of these & can help, PM Terry as soon as poss please as we need to get it sorted tomorrow!   
Everything's hooked up to the fuseboard as it should be, but although the ignition circuit's controlled by the ignition switch, all the dashboard switches -lights, wipers, horn etc remain live all the time, so can be operated with the ignition switched off. Not really a problem, just means we'll have to make sure everything's switched off when we park up or risk a flat battery by accidentally leaving the sidelights on for example.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:50:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3800 on: October 07, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »

Still got problems with the brakes. The master cylinder needs pressure bleeding again as the pedal has to be pumped a couple of times to get full brakes. The cylinder's still leaking slightly too which needs fixing before they're bled. Mr Kapri's taken charge of braking & I had instructions to wedge the pedal down over night to try & absorb the air bubbles into the fluid, which I've done.
No windscreen in yet -if we can't fit it tomorrow we'll be cutting one from perspex for the test.
The fuel tank, which we'd sealed with Por 15 tank sealant because we've cut & re-welded it, leaks. Typically, it's not from our welds, but from the original Reliant seam that runs around the middle of the tank. I've used the last of my meagre spending pennies for this week, (I only got paid this morning!), to nip to the local motorcycle shop & buy a can of PetSeal. I also bought a tin of cleaning agent, which is supposed to remove any old sealant. Used that & flushed the tank with water as instructed, then left it to dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll add the PetSeal & probably a smear of chemical metal around the seam too. If that doesn't work, we have a back-up plan. Loony's Dad, Dave, owns a Phoenix style VW trike & has leant us the old fuel tank -a square steel box with a filler neck in it. If we have to, we may be able to bodge up some temporary mounting straps for it & hang it in place of the Reliant one.
Managed to smash the fog light lens by dropping the tailgate on it. I didn't want to fit chains on the gate, but looks like I'll have to before the truck hits the road. Fortunately I had a spare lens.
Late in the afternoon, we managed to get the engine turning over on the ignition key, after beating the sticky starter solenoid with a hammer. One of Loony's mates dropped by -he just happens to be an RAC patrolman -& proved to be a dab hand with a hammer.
I've brought the battery home & put it on charge overnight. So we'll be back again tomorrow to have another go.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:51:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #3801 on: October 07, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »

I did say that seam may be an issue , common place to leak ( we used to repair tanks at my last place ). Angry

I've wired several of those switches ,had a spare wiring diagram up to a few months back. I'm sure we can figure it out.

Rubber snubbers on the tailgate ,or body, should stop the contact problem without using chains.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:31:32 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3802 on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:34 PM »

Hi Kev.
Terry's got the wiring diagram for the switch -it just doesn't marry up to the wiring in the fuseboard.
The tank's probably 30 years old &, knowing Reliant engineering, might well have leaked from day 1.
I always think chains on tailgates just look a bit naff -a bit of a bodge. Maybe a chain inside a leather sleeve. I've seen 2 part hinged struts on modern pick-ups, but our tailgate's very heavy, so they'd have to be quite substantial. To be honest, I'm not planning on carrying cargo in the bed, so the gate will rarely need to be opened. I'll have to trawl the net for some suitably vintage bump stops.
Must admit, there's been lots of times recently when I could quite happily just give up on this damn thing. No wonder there's always so many part built projects for sale in the magazines & Ebay. I'm not enjoying this at all at the moment. All the current problems are fixable, it's just the time constraints of the registration test that's piling on the pressure. The wiring will be sorted eventually I'm sure. We can fit a bigger brake master cylinder if it needs it. I can find a windscreen fitter to fit the glass. Loony's quite capable of hanging & latching the doors. If I had to, I could have a new ali or stainless tank made -just not in the next 2 days.
I really wanted to get through the test first time & get it out of the way, but realistically, I think we'll be going there on Monday expecting to fail, but at least then we'll be in the system & will have another 3 months, (or possibly even 6 months), to get it re-tested.
Jeez, I'll be glad when this is done. Never, ever again! I love hotrods & have always wanted one. I've got no intention of ever selling this one, so can work through the problems one by one & eventually have it running smoothly & reliably -but I'll stick to building bikes & trikes in future! Besides, too many good people have given up their time to help get this done to let them down by giving up now. I think I'd get lynched if I did!  Smiley

Archie

« Reply #3803 on: October 07, 2011, 11:57:15 PM »

Re your light staying on, could it be a simple thing? Something like too much current making it not flash so needs an in line resistor to drop the current? Y'know when you blow an indicator it flashes too quickly or if you switch to led indicators from normal bulb it needs less current so they stay on until a resistor is in place?
kapri

« Reply #3804 on: October 08, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »

As I said the other day, 90% of projects never see the end in the original builders hands. That's why I have the utmost respect for any vehicle buillder who gets to the end . It can be bloody soul destroying ,especially in the situation you are in with the time and money constraints so tightly focused:(

See you later.
madron

« Reply #3805 on: October 08, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »

andy i have a pair of rubber buffers off jag front suspension  30mm diameter 40mm long with a 15mm long thread if you want em for tailgate buffers let me know and will stick em in post
panthershaun

« Reply #3806 on: October 08, 2011, 11:02:23 AM »

good luck dude, feel for you mate....

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3807 on: October 08, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »

Hmm, they might just work Ron. Can I try them please. If they don't work out I'll post them back to you. I'll email you my address. Thanks.

Right. I know I've said it several times before, but I'd just like to publicly state it once more, Mssrs Terry T & Kapri are officially the toppest top diamond geezers in all of Mankydom. They've both gone far above & w-a-y beyond the call of duty in the last couple of weeks on this project. I really, genuinely appreciate all you've done guys. Thank you.  Kiss
So. Today's chapter of the continuing saga-
Loony's still recovering from his neck injury, so didn't appear at the workshop till mid afternoon & I was stuck in a traffic jam caused by roadworks on the M3. So by the time I'd picked up the keys from Loony's place & driven out there, both T & K had been waiting at the workshop for some time. Sorry.
A quick cuppa & Terry got to work, hooking up the last of the wiring, while Kev clambered under the truck to check out the brakes. Meanwhile I mixed up the sealant & coated the inside of the fuel tank with it.
The electrics were causing some confusion, but Terry used the Phone a Friend option to consult with Mr TBone & between the two of them, they eventually diagnosed the problem. The pre-wired fuse board we've used had seperate flasher relays for the indicators & hazards, but refused to work when wired that way. Throwing the hazard relay away & routing everything through the indicator relay finally fixed it. Good work chaps! The only thing left to sort now is the wiper motor, but that's not needed for the SVA test.
Kev spent ages measuring & checking the brake pedal & cylinder & writing jolly clever stuff down on paper & expecting me to understand it. Basically, (he tells me), we need a bigger bore master cylinder. On the first push, the brake pedal goes almost to the floor, but on the second push the brakes work fine. Not air in the system, so it has to be the cylinder. Our old forum friend, pedal ratios, also plays a part. Our brake pedal has a ratio of around 3 to 1, when ideally it should be 5 to 1. Once the test is over, we need to shorten the lower arm of the pedal & fit a cylinder from something like a VW camper van, rather than the Beetle one we have.
Moving on, we hooked up a temporary fuel can & tried to fire the beast up. Which is when the real fun began.
Fuel, spark, ignition ...bruummmm. Great! Cough, splutter. Silence. Oh.
No spark. A bit of a spark. No spark. Enough spark to give Terry a big ol' jolt. No spark.
It was all over the place. We're running a Mallory dual points distributor but only one set of points seemed to have any life in them. The magic multimeter was brought out, (I've never understood those things). Hours crept by with Kev, Terry & a couple of passing workshop visitors all peering at the distributor & suggesting different remedies. I know nuffink about electrics at all, so could only stand & watch while they wracked their collective brainses. A replacement coil was fetched from Loony's stash of spare vehicles. No difference. The plugs were changed. The timing was checked, moved, & put back where it started. Nope. Eventually I ferretted through the boxes of bits in the back of my car & came up with 2 sets of new points that had come with the dizzy. Seems the iffy set of points had a much weaker spring to them than the other set, though I'm not sure if that was the only cause.
By this time the battery was getting weak from the constant turning of the engine & the starter solenoid was sticking again. I was given a hammer & told to bash it -yeah, they've realised my level of mechanical competence. They stripped & cleaned the distributor & fitted the new points. They hooked up the fuel line again. They jumped the battery from Terry's spare one. I bashed stuff.
Bruummmm! Hurrah! Finally the motor burst into life, though "burst" implies far more enthusiasm than it actually had. It runs. Not perfectly, but not bad.
A quick detune of the mixture to try & meet the emmisions regulations & we decided to call it a day.
Thank you guys. I know you'd both had enough of the thing by mid afternoon & I applaud your determination to stick at it until it ran. You is both top Monkeys. Mr T, I hope your good lady will forgive your constant jaunts up to Basingstoke & Mr K, I'm praying we haven't permanently crippled you -we need you again on Monday!  Grin 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:19:53 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3808 on: October 08, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »

So the current state of play is:
we have brakes. They're not good enough to pass the test, but good enough to be tested. If we present the vehicle in an obviously untestable condition -with no brakes at all for example, they can refuse to test it & we miss the deadline for the test at the end of this month. If they test it & it fails, we're entered into the system & have either 3 or 6 months, (still not sure which), to fix it & have it re-tested.
We have fully working electrics, minus the wiper motor. All they're really testing is the brake lights & dashboard warning lights, but it obviously looks much better if we can show it all does what it should.
We've sealed the fuel tank & left it to set until tomorrow. If it still leaks, we'll lash something up from the back-up tank.
I've dug out an original pair of door catches, rather than the modern "bear claw" latches we intend using eventually. So tomorrow Loony can get the doors sort of fitting & bodge up the catches so we can open & shut them. 
I'll cut a temorary windscreen from an off-cut of perspex in the workshop.
The test's booked for 1pm on Monday, in Southampton. Scottie, (forum member Tiki Munki), is booked to take us down there on his recovery truck.
Our expectations have moved from praying it passes, to knowing it won't, but concentrating on getting it in the system to buy us more time.
Watch this space!

tbone

« Reply #3809 on: October 08, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »

Andy, Marcus, Terry, Kev, and everyone else who have had a hand in this.....Well done!

I think we all guessed that it would be a close run thing, even extending the deadline!
You have done a fantastic job in getting it this far. The hard work is over now chaps, get the inspection out of the way, pass or fail wont matter now, then take some much deserved time away from it, even a week away will make a difference to your approach when you return to it.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: