May 05, 2024, 09:28:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555559 times)
spanners

« Reply #3780 on: October 04, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »

Undecided is the windscreen in the pop yet ? ?

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3781 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »

Nope. Waiting for Loony's mate, who's an ex screen fitter, to come & take a look.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #3782 on: October 04, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »

Nope. Waiting for Loony's mate, who's an ex screen fitter, to come & take a look.
How is Mascuss.is he feeling better
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3783 on: October 04, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »

Not heard from him at all today. Not answered my texts. I'll head over to the workshop tomorrow & pick up the keys from his place if he's not there.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3784 on: October 05, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »

Mr Loony's up & about again, but feeling very delicate.
Kev arrived with back-up today -Bill? The 2 of them immediately set about stripping & checking the rear brakes. Nothing actually wrong, but they managed to re-set the auto adjusters to push the shoes further out before the drums were put back on. Now we has working brakes all round, although they still need pressure bleeding cos the pedal needs a couple of pumps before we get full brakes.
The handbrake adjuster's been reworked & then adjusted up too. So it looks like my new residual valve isn't needed, but hey, we've got brakes.  Smiley Thanks Kev -& Bill.
I've done a little more work on the rolled panel under the dash & drilled the doors for the new handles, (the previous owner of the doors had blanked off the handle mounts & used electric solenoids instead -not in keeping with our 50s theme.
Tomorrow I'll have another go, (I was going to say another crack, but that'd be tempting fate), at fitting the windscreen. If we can't get it sorted in time, we'll go to Plan B -self tapping a piece of clear perspex into the opening. Acceptable for the SVA test as they're not actually testing it, but we're expected to present a reasonably complete vehicle.
So now we're down to getting the doors to shut & latch -Kev arrived with a pair of garden gate sliding bolts today. We will use 'em if we have to!
Finishing the wiring.
Getting the engine running again so Kev can set it up. That includes fixing the water leak from the inlet manifold, (?).
Fitting the windscreen.
As much tidying up as we can get done in the time remaining.
I also had a phone call this morning -
"Hi Andy, it's Michelle"
Michelle? I don't know any Michelles.
"From DVLA, Wimbledon. I know you've got your test in a few days time, so I thought I'd better phone you to confirm it's O.K to use the VIN number you've got, as well as putting it in writing".
I know some people here have had nothing but problems with the paperwork for their builds, but I have to say, my local office have been really helpful & friendly. Let's hope the VOSA inspectors are the same next week.
Again, nothing worth photographing at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:29:27 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

terry t

« Reply #3785 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »

so what was wrong with the adjusters in the first place
panthershaun

« Reply #3786 on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »

the guy's who tested my mates trike last year were bloody good blokes, NOT there to fail the trike just to make sure it was safe.....

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3787 on: October 05, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

True Shauny. I think they get a bad press -mainly from those that fail the test.
Not really sure what was going on with the brakes Terry, but they're working O.K now & I've been told to leave them alone, except for bleeding them again if you could bring your pressure bleeder next time you come up please.

kapri

« Reply #3788 on: October 06, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »

They are definitely there to help, can't speak highly enough of them, it's whether you take on board what they say that makes the difference.

There may still be an underlying problem with the brakes but I need to know if the axle came from a disc /drum motor or a drum/ drum and what year ?

Meanwhile the other problems came down to master cylinder pushrod too long not allowing m/c to return and so holding on front brakes. Plus rear shoes not self adjusting to tighten clearances , so handbrake wouldn't set up properly either. Also the VW m/c is pressure biased to the rear rather than the front which didn't help but a change of seal appears to have sorted that .

At the moment still needs pumping to operate so either air lock still ( manually bled not pressure bled) or the m/c may not be large enough bore ,hence the above question.

Bill had been over helping on my truck in the morning and we achieved our goals for the day early so thought we'd have another go at Andys brakes. Bill is used to working with me as he's helped (loads) on all my builds for the past 20 odd years .

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:44:07 AM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3789 on: October 06, 2011, 09:14:57 AM »

I'm gonna have an awful long list of favours to repay when this thing's finished. Lots of people helping out & it's very much appreciated.
Just trawled back through my old computer & checked the photos of the Sherpa van that donated it's axle. It was an F reg 2 litre Pilot.

kapri

« Reply #3790 on: October 06, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »

According to my info Pilot didn't come out til '96?

From what I can see it should be 200/280 /285 /310/350 between 82-89 and badged Freight Rover ?

Do you have the reg number as I may be able to track it down from that ?
terry t

« Reply #3791 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:21 AM »

got the pressure pump on the van.be up at 11.30 to do the wiring
kapri

« Reply #3792 on: October 06, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »

Day off for me I'm afraid , tweaked my back too much this week already  . Kidney unit hospital tomorrow so next time will be Saturday for me.
terry t

« Reply #3793 on: October 06, 2011, 06:31:57 PM »

Day off for me I'm afraid , tweaked my back too much this week already  . Kidney unit hospital tomorrow so next time will be Saturday for me.
That's ok Kev.got most of the wiring done.and linked.just got to test then wire into the module.i have left the brake pressure kit up there if i cant get back tomorrow then i will finish of on Saturday
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3794 on: October 06, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »

Kev, the Sherpa/Pilot/Freight Rover's registration was F149 BUK. 200 rings a bell. It was before I got together with Loony -I had a fibreglass '27 T body & was planning on using both axles in it. I reckon it would've had discs on the front & drums down back.

Today's update:
Terry arrived & set to work on the wiring. As far as I know, he's hooked up all the lights to the fuse board & tested them all. I think he's also got the brake warning light sorted. That leaves the dashboard switches & lights.
The brake master cylinder's leaking again -that front union to the reservoir again. Not pouring out, but wet when you move the pipe between the cylinder & reservoir, which would happen with vibration I think. I've got some brake union sealant, which is a white silicone type stuff. Might be worth a go.
No word from the two windscreen fitters we've tried, so it's down to us. I had a go on my own this afternoon, but it's a 2, 3 or 4 man job! I'd like to use the real glass if we can so would like another go next time you guys are over, before we admit defeat & go for the perspex.
Loony's been working on a VW camper van today, but will hopefully get time to sort the doors before Monday. Busy, busy!

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: