May 06, 2024, 05:18:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555900 times)
Cabman77

« Reply #3600 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »

Moving on, I rolled a 6" wide strip of sheet to curve up over the gear selector. I know Loony won't like this as he's keen to leave the gnarly lookin' selector mechanism on show. That would involve unbolting the whole thing, cutting the tunnel to suit & bolting it back down on top, which would mean the tunnel would be bolted directly to the gearbox & would probably vibrate like mad. I'd rather the tunnel was free standing. I picked up this rubber gaiter at a swapmeet last year. Loony thinks it looks too "Street Roddy", (smooth & high tech), but I want to make the cab as weatherproof as possible, so want a gaiter to seal the opening around the stick.
Still experimenting with this. I want the rolled top on the tunnel, rather than flat panels & sharp edges, but that makes it quite tall. I think it needs a sloping piece running back to the previous tunnel section. I'll work my way forward, bit by bit, then we can tack it all together once we're happy with it.

I was going to develop the whole thing as one piece!!!!! Really sorry I didn`t make it.....once again Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3601 on: September 02, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »

Loony thinks it looks too "Street Roddy", (smooth & high tech), but I want to make the cab as weatherproof as possible, so want a gaiter to seal the opening around the stick.

Main thing is to get it done I guess - can always be modified at a later date!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3602 on: September 02, 2011, 10:12:59 PM »

True Bobbi.
Cabby, if you're that skilled at metal Origami there's lots left to do!
Spent most of my couple of hours at the workshop this afternoon going through the paperwork for the test. Re-read it all & double & triple checked it. I've sorted out a pile of receipts for the major components & a selection of build up photos. So it's all ready to post tomorrow.
Then it was back to the metal folding.
Added a couple of fill-in pieces to the back section, then Loony tacked everything together cos it was all getting a bit wibbly wobbly just held together with masking tape.
The shiney new bits were made today. The brown rusty bits were made just a week or two ago. Amazes me how quickly they oxidise. Makes the truck look like it's been dragged out of a swamp. A desirable look for many rodders at the moment, but depressing when you're still building the thing. It's caused mainly by the oils in our hands, so just handling the bare steel's enough to start it rusting. Loony seems to have a greater King Midas rusty touch than me -everything he touches turns to rust. Must be using a creamier moisturiser on his hands than me.  Tongue
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:10:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3603 on: September 02, 2011, 10:19:11 PM »

When Kev visited on Sunday he made a short list of the points we need to fix before the test.
One of them was the petrol tank filler cap. If you can take the cap off then remove the key, the cap needs to be tethered -so you can't drive away from the petrol station with the cap off. A short length of bathroom sink chain clipped into a hole drilled in the cap & screwed to the wooden bed floor saw that one crossed off the list.

tbone

« Reply #3604 on: September 02, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »

Have you given up welding then Andy? Poor Mr L seems to get to do it all these days.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3605 on: September 02, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »

Nope, my welder's at the workshop, but Loony borrowed the gas bottle when his ran out. Then mine ran out. Then PD borrowed the wire. Now I've got no gas or wire, plus I'm rubbish at welding thin sheet so it's just easier for him to do it. Part of the deal when he bought my Triumph Triple was that he'd handle the bodywork on the Pop. I cut & fold. He glues it together.  Smiley

tbone

« Reply #3606 on: September 02, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »

Fair enough. I think i`d be blowing holes in it too  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
terry t

« Reply #3607 on: September 03, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »

Made up the rear section wiring loom for the lights etc and fuel pumps ready to put into sleeving then fit to chassis.this is one of about three that's needed.it is designed hopefully  Grin.to just unplug the main looms from the fuse and relay board.as it has to all come out when it get painted after the test.
the next one to make is the front section

http://i55.tinypic.com/dloxhi.jpg
Manky's Pop.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3608 on: September 03, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »

That looks very professional!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kapri

« Reply #3609 on: September 03, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »

Looks great Terry , I'll have to think about doing that to mine next time,normally do it in situ , no wonder my back hurts ! Just a thought , fuel sender wires (x2) or am I jumping the gun ?
terry t

« Reply #3610 on: September 03, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

Looks great Terry , I'll have to think about doing that to mine next time,normally do it in situ , no wonder my back hurts ! Just a thought , fuel sender wires (x2) or am I jumping the gun ?
Thanks Kev just trying to save time.I asked Andy about fuel senders and he said hes not having them.unless there needed for the test.  Huh
terry t

« Reply #3611 on: September 03, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »

That looks very professional!
I do try Gran.had a read of the book last night  Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3612 on: September 03, 2011, 10:20:22 PM »

Good job there's a team of expert Monkeys working behind the scenes on this project. I have trouble wiring a plug, let alone a car.
After the test, we plan to fit the original cylindrical Pop fuel tank in the front of the pick-up bed. That'll become the "main" tank, with the smaller Reliant one staying as a back-up "reserve" tank. Those of us who ride motorbikes will be used to the main & reserve idea. When one runs dry, you switch to the other & have enough fuel to go & find a filling station. I hope to fit a sight glass to the main tank & will have a switch in the cab to flick from one fuel pump to the other.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3613 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »

Well that's the SVA application form despatched to Swansea by registered post. And so it begins.

Loony was at the Kustom Kulture show in Lincolnshire today, so I spent a quiet afternoon bimbling around the workshop on my own.
Take one piece of flat steel sheet, cut it & fold it & beat it with a stick until it ain't flat no more.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:14:07 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3614 on: September 03, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »

And with a bit of trimming & tweaking, attach it to the back of the gearbox tunnel.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:02:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: