May 06, 2024, 09:08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556024 times)
poprodder

« Reply #3225 on: June 10, 2011, 08:38:24 AM »

will they melt? you did say alloy?

WAYNE999

« Reply #3226 on: June 10, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

they would have to get really hot most engines are ally and ive never seen one melt Grin

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Tony oily bike

« Reply #3227 on: June 10, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »

they would have to get really hot most engines are ally and ive never seen one melt Grin

I've never seen an ally engine melt either, but maybe that's cos most engines are liquid cooled............  Wink the zorst will be in the breeze so will get some air cooling, but it will get decidely warm (which is why chrome or stainless headers can have that lovely blueish discolouration) ...... intersting..........

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3228 on: June 10, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »

I've seen an ally engine almost melted - looking like a chocolate bar that's been left in the sun.  Mind you, the rest of the car was completely burnt to ashes.  There was just a car shaped pile of ash on the ground with a vaguely engine-shaped lump in the front, some seat springs and four door handles.

It had been a very expensive works Alpine Renault that went on fire on a Welsh forest stage in the RAC rally back in the 60s.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:02:37 PM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3229 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

Grin
The chamferring would be for purely cosmetic reasons Kev. We did discuss whether aluminium caps would melt/distort. Ali doesn't melt until about 1200 degrees does it? If the pipes get that hot, I reckon we'll have more to worry about than melted caps. Like most of my engineering endevours, we'll use the Try It & See method. If they do, we'll swap 'em for stainless ones.
Even with the caps just pushed in place & the centre bolt hole left open, the motor immediately runs better, starting first turn of the key & ticking over, which it doesn't do when they're open. Hope to have the rest of the system finished by the end of the weekend so we can drive it round the yard & see how it sounds.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:47:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3230 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:43 AM »

drill them full of speed holes Grin

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Cabman77

« Reply #3231 on: June 11, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »

drill them full of speed holes Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3232 on: June 11, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

Hmm, that's a good idea .....w-a-i-t  a minute!  Tongue

I drilled the bolt holes in the caps out to 8mm then ground down a couple of M8 allen bolts until the heads fitted inside the pointy tops of some spare rocker cover bolts. We'll cross drill the caps & use roll pins to hold them together -just a bit tidier than welding.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:57:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3233 on: June 11, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »

Loony thinks these look cool & funky. I'm not entirely convinced & think mushroom headed allen bolts would be subtler. We'll try them both & see which we prefer. I cut some 6mm stainless rod & Mr L welded it to a pair of stainless 8mm nuts to form 3 legged "spiders", which we'll weld into the ends of the pipes to secure the caps.

WAYNE999

« Reply #3234 on: June 11, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »

I like them.Ok the allen head bolts would be more subtle but you'd look subtle driving a Ford Focus. Grin I hope that's not going to happen
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:05:15 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3235 on: June 11, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »

Erm, my daily driver's a Ford Fiesta.  Tongue
The spikey thingies will make great trouser leg snaggers.
The rest of the exhaust system tacked together. After the silencers, the pipes kick up behind the cab to follow the line of the chassis, then along under the pick-up bed, before tipping down towards the road. They need a bit of tweaking to make them symetrical, but otherwise they work well. With a fairly small bore tail pipe, (1 1/2"), & a single silencer each side, they take the harshness out of the exhaust note, changing it to a softer "whump, whump, whump". Sounds somehow more vintage now.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3236 on: June 12, 2011, 03:57:34 AM »

Hmm, that's a good idea .....w-a-i-t  a minute!  Tongue

I drilled the bolt holes in the caps out to 8mm then ground down a couple of M8 allen bolts until the heads fitted inside the pointy tops of some spare rocker cover bolts. We'll cross drill the caps & use roll pins to hold them together -just a bit tidier than welding.

was hoping you'd do something cool with the bolts

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3237 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

One of the "spiders" welded into the end of the pipe & the cap bolted in.
Unfortunately the other didn't go in quite square & the bolt cross-threaded. No problem. We'll cut it out & do it again.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3238 on: June 12, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »

The rest of the system welded together. We were going to fit mounting tabs at either end of the tail pipe, but found one rubber mount at the back end was all it needed. We cut the 45 degree ends off again & re-welded them to point inward a little to clear the side bodywork. A couple of afternoons of cleaning up & they'll be done. 

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3239 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »

The spikey thingies will make great trouser leg snaggers.

That won't go down very well at the MSVA will it?   Thought they didn't like sticky-out bits - or is it different for 4 wheel vehicles?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: