May 06, 2024, 06:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555946 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3075 on: May 07, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »

Well it definitely ain't a Ford anymore. My surname's Field, so maybe the manufacturer's name should be Field Motor Company.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #3076 on: May 07, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »

Well it definitely ain't a Ford anymore. My surname's Field, so maybe the manufacturer's name should be Field Motor Company.

Field Custom Kar - FCK  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3077 on: May 07, 2011, 06:14:43 PM »

KFC?

Tony oily bike

« Reply #3078 on: May 07, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »

Sweet Frord/Frawd Anglia  (Sweet FA) ?? Cheesy

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
poprodder

« Reply #3079 on: May 07, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »

Fields Utility Custom Kruiser
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:41:42 PM by poprodder » Logged

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #3080 on: May 08, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »

Fields Utility Custom Kruiser

Like that!!!

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3081 on: May 09, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »

I like it too but it's not quite Andy somehow.........

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
panthershaun

« Reply #3082 on: May 09, 2011, 09:05:08 AM »

Yup, need an official non copyright name for the SVA certificate and logbook.

Make = Primate Motors , model= Fraud.

like that, like that lot's...

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3083 on: May 09, 2011, 02:02:32 PM »

"it's not quite Andy somehow"
You're right Bobbi -I'm far too well brought up to use such language in polite company.  Tongue

We took the Pop along to the Basingstoke Festival of Transport yesterday, where it sat at the front of our pitch -not because I wanted to show it off, but simply cos it has the website logo on the doors. Many thanks to Ash for the use of his vehicle transporter.
Seemed to go down well with the general public, though I'm not sure I like it being constantly referred to as a ratrod! It's not ratty, it's not finished yet! It will have shiney paint -eventually.
Once the show ended & we were packing things away, we had a chance to try it around the field a few times with Loony at the wheel. He reported the steering felt a little heavy, but then it was on grass in a bumpy field. Also the front wheels didn't self centre as they should when you let go of the steering wheel. The weakest link in the steering set-up is the steering box itself, which turns the roundy round motion of the steering wheel into the side to side action of the steering arm. It's a modified Pop box which has a cast aluminium housing & we've already accidentally broken one. Ideally we'd fit a more heavy duty one from something like a Landrover, but changing it now would be a major headache. Maybe something to consider once it's registered, if only for our own peace of mind.
Only other problem was a lack of oomph at the bottom end. A 3 1/2 litre V8 should have plenty of grunt, but Loony thought it felt a bit gutless -he keeps trying to spin the rear wheels but no luck yet. Could be because our truck weighs twice as much as the original Pop, although Rover used the same engine in Range Rovers & stuff, which ain't lightweight. Might be the large diameter wheels we're using messing up the gearing. Or maybe just because we're still running on open headers, so there's no exhaust back pressure.
Considering we've thrown together parts from half a dozen different manufacturers that were never designed to go together, I'm amazed it runs at all. The engine seems to be settling down quite nicely, so hopefully it's just a matter of fine tuning things now.
I'm on holiday this week, but money's a bit tight so next week I'll order the tube for the rest of the exhaust & get that fitted under the pick-up bed. Still waiting for the blanking caps for the headers to be machined too. With that done, we can set the tick-over properly.
We had a word with Ian of Wyliez Customs, one of our local rod shops, while we were at the show & hopefully might be taking the Pop to their place soon to cut & fold the sheet steel for the floor & bed sides.
The only other job is to swap the rear coil springs for heavier ones as the 160 pound ones we've got are bottoming out -just a matter of buying them & swapping them over on the gas filled shocks. When I bought them from Valley Gas Speed Shop, Jimmy & Ellie said they'd give us a free upgrade if they proved too weak, but that was several years ago & I'm not sure I've even got the receipt, so I expect I'll have to buy new.
I know it still looks ratty, but that's really all the mechanical stuff done -it's down to bodywork & glass now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:50:05 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3084 on: May 09, 2011, 02:06:15 PM »

The open headers didn't actually sound as loud as we thought out in the open -previously we'd only heard them in the echoey confines of the workshop yard. I'm interested to hear what it sounds like with the full tail pipes on now. Certainly looked good bombing around the show field.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3085 on: May 09, 2011, 02:14:56 PM »

spanners

« Reply #3086 on: May 09, 2011, 02:27:14 PM »

i listened to it when it was playtime  just before we left for home,

its only bottomend /idle mixture and a timing ,,tweak,, (i used to race rover v8,s)

plus it was hardly warmed up.
exhaust back pressure will effect rover v8,s  but,, not as much as you may think.

when we had the in v8 hotstox we only ran silencer box,s because the rule book made us.
otherwise we would have run open headers  Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Clive

« Reply #3087 on: May 09, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »

I'm popping into Valley Gas tomorrow Andy, if you want me to ask them about the springs or anything else!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3088 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »

Wouldn't do any harm Clive. It'll be several weeks before I can afford new ones, but some idea of price would be good. Any chance you could print off that last pic & take it with you? Jimmy laid out the basic chassis rails for us when we started this, although we later altered the front & rear cross members.
We've got blue 160 pound springs on Gaz shocks at the moment. Although there's not much rear bodywork, there's a lot of steel in the chassis & pick-up bed frame. There's no adjustment on the front transverse spring & when there's only one person in the cab, the body leans slightly, so stiffer rear springs will hopefully fix that. Ask Jimmy what poundage we need to order please. Thanks. You're not starting a rod now the van's finished are you?!
Mike, there's so many different opinions on how to set V8s up, it's hard for us beginners to know where to start, but we'll get back to you on that once the pipes are finished.  Wink

spanners

« Reply #3089 on: May 09, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »

with it being  auto  and being stood unused for awhile

it wouldnt go amiss  to run it awhile then drop the pan of the g/box clean it out and start with new dextron atf ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: