May 06, 2024, 08:29:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555994 times)
toad

« Reply #3000 on: April 18, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »

and just to add to the confusion, if the idle speed has been set using the stop screw on the throttle linkage then it's possible that the butterflies are far enough open that the transition circuit is also flowing, if this is the case you could take the idle screws out and throw them in the hedgerow for all the difference they will make, fun aint it  Grin

Note;  this post is in no way advocating despoiling the countryside by the fly tipping of carburetter components

that makes a lot of sense as adjusting the tickover altered the the amount of choking fumes  Wink

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3001 on: April 18, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »

Hurrah!
The funky fuel fairy called at the workshop today & now we has a working motor!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
cunningplan

« Reply #3002 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »

Hurrah!

come on, what was it??
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3003 on: April 18, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »

Carburettors - a black art!  Only time I ever had a carb I understood was when I drove a Moggy Minor!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
terry t

« Reply #3004 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »

Hurrah!

come on, what was it??
can i stop searching the internet now
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3005 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »

Yes Terence, I believe you can!
We had an unannounced, but very welcome, visit today from Kapri, Mr Kev Rooney, from down Portsmouth way I think.
Hopefully he'll correct me if Im wrong, (told you I know nuffink about mechanicking), but I believe it was:
Timing nearly 14 degrees out.
We'd been working from a notch in the front of the crankshaft pulley, believing it to be the timing mark. Rovers actually have graduated timing marks on the back half of the pulley though. Sure enough, there they were, clear as day. The notch was purely coincidental damage.
Wrong timing mark pointer.
The strip of tinplate bolted to the crankcase & aimed at the pulley wasn't the proper Rover part. When Loony took his from his spare Rover & bolted it on, it pointed directly at the proper marks.
Incorrectly set fuel level.
We'd checked the primary float bowl fuel level, but hadn't checked the secondary. It was filling right to the top of the chamber with fuel, overcoming the butterfly & filling the inlet. We'd noticed several fuel leaks dripping onto the manifold but couldn't trace them -the fuel was running out along the butterfly spindle. Also explains the excessive fuel consumption in the short time we've run the motor.
Mixture screws wound right out.
They didn't seem to be doing anything, no matter where Terry & Toad put them, which was down to the over fuelling. Kev put them back to the normal position, 2 complete turns out.
Incorrectly set throttle cable.
My fault. I'd adjusted the slack out of the cable when I'd set up the throttle pedal, but it was too tight, meaning the throttle was always slightly open & adjusting the tick over screw made no difference, so the engine was over-revving which in turn made gear changing a bit clunky. Kev backed off the cable adjustment & set the tick over. It's a bit low at the moment, but the engine needs to be run long enough to warm up before it's properly adjusted.
No radiator expansion tank.
We just have an overflow pipe from the rad filler neck that empties onto the road. It needs to run into a sealed expansion tank, mounted higher than the rad on the bulkhead. Without it, when the water heats up & expands, it pressurises the system, appearing as excessive breather vapour & a drop in water level in the rad.
After a couple of hours, Kev had the motor running pretty well & responding crisply when the throttle's blipped. I'm very happy to leave it well alone now.
Many, many thanks to Mr K for that, but also to Terry & Toad, who both put in huge amounts of their own, unpaid, time to sort this out. You can't buy mates like that. You're stars, both of you. Thank you.  Kiss
Kapri also took the time to go over the truck with us & check we've got everything we need for the SVA test. We've now got a list of things to do, but it's all looking a bit more positive. He tells us there are 7 pick-ups being built for the commercial SVA test at the moment, so at least we're not alone.
Onwards & upwards!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:08:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3006 on: April 18, 2011, 11:17:58 PM »

Next job for me is to finish the exhaust system.
The stainless header pipes end in a 2 inch bore pipe at the end of the collectors. Those will run into a pair of reproduction International tractor silencers, picked up for 10 quid each at a steam fair. They would normally stand upright on the tractor, but ours will lay horizontally under the cab floor, one each side. They have a 2 inch bore pipe on one end & 1 1/2 inch on the other. So the truck's system will be 1 1/2" at the 4 header pipes, running into a collector funnel, then 2" into the silencers & 1 1/2" from there to the tail pipes. Hopefully that should keep it acceptably muffled.
Today I fitted 4 Leyland Mini rubber "bobbins" to each silencer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:10:07 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Cabman77

« Reply #3007 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:18 AM »

That`s what I like to hear, positive forward movement........................................lucky sod, I just seem to be going backwards at the moment. Well done everyone, like Manky says you can`t buy friends like these. Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
kapri

« Reply #3008 on: April 19, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »

No worries Andy. Once you are closer with the rest of it I'll come back and sort the mixture finally with a vacuum gauge as we need to be able to get it hot and run it for longer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:08:31 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
terry t

« Reply #3009 on: April 19, 2011, 08:14:23 AM »

Hi Andy. glad Kev sorted it for you .we new the carbs were flooding but did not now what screws to turn with out set up book anyway its all ok now
poprodder

« Reply #3010 on: April 19, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »

nice one kev.

toad

« Reply #3011 on: April 19, 2011, 08:02:59 PM »

thats good to here. Just before i left i said to loony pull a timing pointer of one of the motors lying around Grin and a pulley as terry could,nt find any timing marks.  Grin

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3012 on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

Loony had to move the truck out of the workshop today to work on other vehicles -apparently that involves blasting around the yard in it as fast as he dare. Sounds a hell of a beast when it's on full song.
And so does the Pop.

Of course, what we need now Terry, is someone to wire it up for us.  Grin

Firery Fred

« Reply #3013 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »

Great news  Wink

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
terry t

« Reply #3014 on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »

Can any one do us a wiring diagram for Andy's pop
basic set up lights/side/head/main/indicators/hazards/brake/wipers/fan rad/fan heater/fuel pumps x 2/ fuse box size/fuse rating/cable size colour/battery alternator stater motor warning lights etc
fuse box will be under passenger seat switches on dash and stalk on steering wheel
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:23:04 AM by terry t » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: