May 06, 2024, 02:02:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555757 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2985 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »

The carb's a 4 barrel Holley. A 4160, 390cfm, with vacuum secondary. It was on display in a local garage -I was told it's never been run on a car. We rebuilt it with a genuine Holley rebuild kit to replace any perished rubbers, but I can't remember what jets it has in it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #2986 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »

i'm not sure but think they need rejetting to run on a rover, kev will be person to ask.

toad

« Reply #2987 on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »

its definatley over fueling had a discussion with a mate who,s clued up on the holley. see what next weekend brings Grin

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2988 on: April 17, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »

Going to be a regular weekend meet at this rate!
Terry's busy researching info online as well. Fustrating when it's all there & sort of working.
I'm happy to leave you two to figure it out between you while I carry on with the rest of the car. 

terry t

« Reply #2989 on: April 17, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »

The carb's a 4 barrel Holley. A 4160, 390cfm, with vacuum secondary. It was on display in a local garage -I was told it's never been run on a car. We rebuilt it with a genuine Holley rebuild kit to replace any perished rubbers, but I can't remember what jets it has in it.
Andy have you the part number for the rebuild kit
cunningplan

« Reply #2990 on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »

At tick over, the main jets are not being used (So main jet size will not make any diffrence) only the idle control side, if you running that rich you could have a couple or so problems both being on the fuel bowl side.
1st is a sticky needle valve letting too much fuel in
2nd too high a fuel pressure overriding the needle valve
3rd (Most probable) to high fuel level, take out the level plugs, turn on the pump and the fuel should be just at the bottom of the hole.
terry t

« Reply #2991 on: April 17, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »

At tick over, the main jets are not being used (So main jet size will not make any diffrence) only the idle control side, if you running that rich you could have a couple or so problems both being on the fuel bowl side.
3rd (Most probable) to high fuel level, take out the level plugs, turn on the pump and the fuel should be just at the bottom of the hole.
Thanks cunningplan. i have allready spoken to Andy about these. but not having the book to hand.i did not want to play to much will check out next time. also we don't know what jets or power valve are fitted
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #2992 on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »

Power valve will also make a difference. You need to know what vacuum it's pulling on idle and fit the corresponding one for that. It's the first thing you need to do.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
cunningplan

« Reply #2993 on: April 17, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »

At tick over, the main jets are not being used (So main jet size will not make any difference) only the idle control side, if you running that rich you could have a couple or so problems both being on the fuel bowl side.
Thanks cunningplan. i have allready spoken to Andy about these. but not having the book to hand.i did not want to play to much will check out next time. also we don't know what jets or power valve are fitted

If the carb is a 390 then I would bet the jetting and power valve would be close enough for the rover. Once the over fueling is sorted, adjust the idle screws out 1 1/2 turns to start, then take it for a drive, if it cuts out when you pull off screw them out another 1/2 turn. after you get to 2 turns if it still seams a little flat on take off adjust then only 1/4 turn until it feels good.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2994 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »

No idea of the rebuild kit number Terry -it was a year or two ago we rebuilt it & I've got the memory span of a goldfish.
I'll carry on putting the exhaust together so we can eventually set the carb up with the full street system.
I've got no idea what you guys are talking about -I just want to turn the key & drive the thing!  Grin

terry t

« Reply #2995 on: April 17, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »

Hi cunningplan.yes the carb is over fueling.but as we had no manual to set up or check. i did not want to take it to bits.its defiantly running rich. exhaust ends black plugs well sooted up.not sure if the power valve stuck as is has back fired a fare bit. and i read on the internet about power valve blowback lockout.when i have all the info i will go back and check it all out.any .one got the Holley carb red book. they can lend Andy
terry t

« Reply #2996 on: April 17, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »

No idea of the rebuild kit number Terry -it was a year or two ago we rebuilt it & I've got the memory span of a goldfish.
I'll carry on putting the exhaust together so we can eventually set the carb up with the full street system.
I've got no idea what you guys are talking about -I just want to turn the key & drive the thing!  Grin
Hi Andy. no worries mate if you can let me have those Numbers on the carb and i will check from that.i think the next thing we will do is have the carbs off and check them over.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:40:42 PM by terry t » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2997 on: April 17, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »

I've got the red book Terry. It'll be at the workshop next time you call.  Wink

brock

« Reply #2998 on: April 18, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »

and just to add to the confusion, if the idle speed has been set using the stop screw on the throttle linkage then it's possible that the butterflies are far enough open that the transition circuit is also flowing, if this is the case you could take the idle screws out and throw them in the hedgerow for all the difference they will make, fun aint it  Grin

Note;  this post is in no way advocating despoiling the countryside by the fly tipping of carburetter components
terry t

« Reply #2999 on: April 18, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »

Hi brock.i cant get any more confused  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: