May 05, 2024, 09:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555564 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2445 on: October 30, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »

Grin
We're running the forum from Taz's laptop computer at the moment. It's got a very limited memory, (like me), so every time I upload a new photo to her photo folders I have to delete an old one -yeah, a remote hard drive would make more sense but we just haven't gotten round to getting one yet. I'll email the pics over from my own PC, one at a time, scan them through Taz's anti virus software, post them, then delete them from her laptop  ...it may take a while.

Today I 'ave mostly been-
messing about with the dip switch. You may remember I made up a sleeve the other day, to go over the top half of the steering column to hold the indicator switch unit. I don't want to use modern plastic controls, but also don't want a mass of switches on the dashboard. The main lights on/off switch is built into the ignition switch, but I need a high/low beam control within easy reach of the steering wheel. Archie's XS650 chop's been at the workshop for a while & has a nifty little chrome push on/push off type button for the lights. So I pinched the idea & bought one for myself from the same shop that supplied his. 8 quids got me this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:43:22 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2446 on: October 30, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »

An off-cut of toob, sliced down it's length, pinched up in the vice then re-welded until it was the same diameter as the steering column sleeve, & a disc cut to fit the end & welded on, then the whole ensemble drilled, hacksawed & filed -all the usual stuff, created this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2447 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »

The switch fits snugly inside it, then it's all bolted to a couple of threaded tabs on the column sleeve. Can't weld it on cos I wouldn't be able to get the switch in afterwards. Just need to drill a hole for the wiring now, (if I write that here it might just remind me to do it). I may get it chromed to match the indicator unit.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2448 on: October 30, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »

The whole sleeve then drops over the Morris Minor steering column & will be welded in place when it's finished. That gives me 3 of the necessary switches -indicators, hazard warning & high/low beam, all in one unit.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2449 on: October 30, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »

The wings for the bonnet badge arrived in the post & were promptly cut up. It was a replica American airforce cap/tie pin, cast in lightweight pewter. Propped in place on the bonnet here with a dab of grease to hold them in position. The vertical "spear" mates up to a metal strip that runs down the centre of the bonnet to form the central hinge, so has to stay really. I've got an off-cut of 6mm aluminium in the shed, so might cut a bit a few mill bigger than the emblem, mount the pieces flat on it, then shape the underside to the contour of the bonnet. That'd create a more rigid badge & might be thick enough to add some small mounting studs on the back.
As we seem to be building the Pop by majority forum verdict, what does the panel think? I like it. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:39:50 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #2450 on: October 31, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »

so do i andy!
switch gear looks cool as well.
but chrome? thats a posh shiny thing ain't it!!!

kapri

« Reply #2451 on: October 31, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »

I like it but it isn't getting any nearer to SVA is it ?  Wink ;
Tony oily bike

« Reply #2452 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »

Like it too!  (the badge that is)

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
poprodder

« Reply #2453 on: October 31, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »

I like it but it isn't getting any nearer to SVA is it ?  Wink ;

whats left on the countdown timer!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2454 on: October 31, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »

Point taken Mr K.  Smiley
Got to be registered before October 2011 to take advantage of the commercial vehicle SVA loophole. After that, we'd have to comply with BIVA regulations, the same as the kitcar boys. Do-able, but a whole different ball game. It'd mean modifying a lot of parts to basically bring the truck up to the same specifications as a modern production car.
Next purchase will be the stainless bends for the other exhaust header, as well as a reel of stainless wire for the MIG welder. With that we can finish the headers & move onto the silencers. Once they're mounted under the cab floor, there's nothing to stop us making the floor itself & the gearbox tunnel. The sheet metal's Loony's department.
I need to sort out the rest of the body mounts & find a way of attaching the fibreglass dashboard. There's 2 box section uprights behind the doors that form the seatbelt mounts & also attach the body to the chassis. I've got enough box left to make 2 more in front of the doors, then will tie them together with a round tube roll cage style jobbie along the tops of the doors & around the back of the cab.
I also need to find another Pop bonnet to stretch ours with if anyone has one.
Lunatic runs a body repair & respray business so obviously has other vehicles to work on too. I have to put in an 8 or 9 hour shift at Royal Mail before spending the rest of each afternoon at the workshop. So much to do, so little time  Sad    

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #2455 on: October 31, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

chrome the switch cover and shift the wings up a tad
lookin good

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
poprodder

« Reply #2456 on: October 31, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

you'll be wanting this soon!!! Grin Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2457 on: October 31, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

Grin Yeah, every time I think we're getting there, I start thinking of all the jobs still to do. Just realised we need a fuse box somewhere. No room under the dash. Between the seats on the cab back would be handy but that's where the heater's going. Maybe under the passenger seat? That'd mean running a lot of wiring back & forth under the car though. Perhaps we could route it inside the gearbox tunnel.
My head's constantly buzzing with endless lists of things that need to be done. Argh!

twolanes

PRO ET/571

« Reply #2458 on: November 01, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »

Hope you dont mean under the car "in the gearbox tunnel" mate, the rain & crap would give you no end of problems.
kapri

« Reply #2459 on: November 01, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »

Inside the foot wells in the front ? Otherwise on removable panel under the seats?
I've just had to do this on the truck to fit the ECU, 8 relays and 2 small fuseboxes ... that's on top of all the original stuff I had fitted as I wanted this as a standalone loom .

The initial wiring is on a drop down hinged panel under the dash, neat and out of the way but a twist of a thumbwheel drops it down to reveal , fuse box and relays and easily accessable by the side of the road without standing in the rain Wink .
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: