May 18, 2024, 08:54:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565723 times)
Baychimp

« Reply #7740 on: October 23, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »

Nothing, nothing at all. Undecided
panthershaun

« Reply #7741 on: October 30, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »

looking good sir, think of me when you are enjoying yourself in Holland and I'm at a wedding in Kent  Cry

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7742 on: October 30, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »

Smiley no guarantee we'll get there yet Shaun, in the Pop at least. If it looks like it's not gonna be ready in time I'll change the ferry booking & we'll just have to go in my Fiesta, but obviously it won' t be the same.
Having trouble with my laptop at the moment so I'm posting from my phone & haven't figured out how to reduce phone photos yet. So nothing to show you, but the bulkhead's finally green. A little wobbly in certain lights, but not bad.
I bought a Sealey pressure bleeder for the brakes today, which runs from an airline & draws the fluid through from the bleed nipples. I've been advised to keep the pressure as low as possible to avoid blowing all the seals. We'll have a go with that tomorrow.
The front of the chassis needs painting while I can reach it -then it's engine fitting time, which I'm really not looking forward to, but hey, what could possibly go wrong?!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #7743 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »

Here you go.
Wish I could help with the engine but I'm laid up at the mo.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:29:08 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7744 on: October 30, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »

Thanks Dave. We may need you to do an electrical check if we get everything hooked back up, so I don't want to break you any more than you already are  Smiley
Get well soon matey.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7745 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »

Nice to see you today Dave. Had a go with the brake bleeding gizmo today. The instructions are really vague -it operates by airline pressure, drawing fluid through the bleed nipples, but we're not sure if the bottle on it should be filled with fluid or not. A slightly more pressing problem is the leaking bulkhead pipe unions. I think the flares on the pipes are wrong - pumping the brake pedal squirted a jet of fluid 6 feet across the workshop. Hopefully easily fixed tomorrow.

Olds

« Reply #7746 on: October 31, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »

Hope you didn't get any on that nice new paint.
Clarke ones say a minimum of 70 psi airline pressure and Sealey recon on 90 psi. Not sure what make you have but it might be worth checking online, being as you say that the instructions are vague.
As you say the pipes should be easy to fix.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7747 on: October 31, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »

Ours is a Sealey one, which is handy cos I'm pretty silly myself. Just found an instructional video on YooToob but don't know how to cut & paste links via my phone. 90 - 120 psi. Take cap off reservoir, attach pipe to bleed nipple, pull trigger to start vacuum, (the unit in the video had a clip to hold the trigger down which ours doesn't have), open bleed nipple, top up reservoir as required. Easy.
Yup, fluid all over the painted bulkhead but it's 2 pack & Mr Loon says washing it down with water is enough to remove it without damage. Seems fine.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7748 on: October 31, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »

Why do you need such a gizmo to bleed what appears to be a fairly straight forward braking system Mr.M ? Huh Huh Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7749 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »

We've got a dual circuit remote servo mounted up underneath the dashboard cos there wasn't anywhere else to put it. The master cylinder's under the floor so has to push the fluid 3 feet uphill. With Mr Kapri's invaluable assistance, we had to fit an oversize master cylinder & residual valves to get it to work well enough for the SVA test. All 4 corners as well as the bulkhead pipework have been disconnected at one time or another over the past year, so the system's dry & needs a proper re-bleed. If the vacuum thingy works it should make it a much simpler job.

hunter

« Reply #7750 on: October 31, 2014, 10:04:33 PM »

Andy,You don't need any fluid in the pot to start,
My mate has his own garage workshop and has used one for years,
He runs his compressor at about 120psi,Not that i think it's that important as i have borrowed it and used it on a small coppresser running about 70psi,gone are the days of pumping pedals opening and closing nipples theses things are so simple,
So long as all your joints are good,But of course this applies to any method.

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7751 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »

The dual circuit remote servo's the bit that seems to cause problems. There's also 2 residual valves & a one way valve in there.
Pouring rain here this morning, so it was lunchtime before I could do anything. I re-made the 2 leaking brake lines, using the flaring tool held in the vice as it should be, with much better results. Fitted them & they seem to be leak free so time to try the bleeding gizmo.
I started at the highest point in the system - the 2 bleed nipples on the servo under the dash, which are a bugger to get to. Much cursing later I had the pipe in place, started the vacuum & opened the nipple. Hmm, not the rush of fluid I'd expected, but a steady dribble. I alternated between the 2 bleed points on the servo, but after an hour or so hadn't made much progress - maybe there's just a lot of air in the system or it's drawing air back in, (the servo nipples are quite loose in their threads when they're open).
At that point Mr Loon arrived so we went round the 4 wheels. Pumping the pedal while the pump's running seemed to help draw the fluid through. With almost a litre of fluid collected in the container, we've now got about half the pedal pressure we should have. Loon had to head home again so we'll carry on tomorrow.
I also painted the front of the chassis & the axle & radius arms with a couple of coats of etch primer.
No photos I'm afraid cos I'm still posting from my phone, but hopefully some progress to report tomorrow. Staying positive for the Holland trip.  Smiley

Olds

« Reply #7752 on: November 02, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »

A little PTFE plumbers tape on the bleed nipple threads should help the vacuum bleeding. Just make sure the nipples can be fully seated.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7753 on: November 02, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »

I've got a bottle of thread sealant for use on brake fittings, (a liquid that dries to seal joints on contact with air), but didn't want to try it while constantly opening & closing the nipple. Hopefully another go tomorrow will get it sorted.

terry t

« Reply #7754 on: November 02, 2014, 11:10:34 PM »

That type of brake bleeding kit is ok for modern motors not to good on older ones. why didn't you get the pressure type one like we used before Andy
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: