May 17, 2024, 03:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564857 times)
Mendalot

« Reply #7890 on: January 15, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »

I take my hat off to you postmen, my workshop is virtually opposite the Potters Bar sorting office yard, and all the postmen walk past my doors each day in all weathers, some even in shorts Shocked  ........ top blokes.  I some times feel guilty about being in the warm and dry!!!  but only sometimes Tongue Tongue    Grin Grin Grin

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7891 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »

I really don't understand the shorts thing. A lot of our guys wear them all year round. You'll never, ever see me in shorts!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #7892 on: January 15, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »

Our usual postie tends to wear shorts.    Grin

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7893 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »

I loved the squeak when he stuck his head out of the shed!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7894 on: January 15, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »

Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7895 on: January 18, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »

Re-fitted the oil filter housing today. I took it off thinking I'd have to get it tapped out to suit the new "Moon Eyes" oil pressure gauge, but fortunately I already had a brass adaptor that proved to be the correct thread, (Moon is a well known manufacturer of hotrod parts & their logo is a pair of cartoon eyes). Obviously I won't be able to see it when I'm driving, (unless I use a mirror on a stick), but it'll be handy when working on the engine & I just like it. It'll almost certainly get damaged at some point but I think it looks cool in a slightly race inspired, hotrod kinda way.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7896 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »

Water temperature gauge is also a Moon item.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7897 on: January 18, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »

Took the carb off & blew it through with the airline. Didn't seem to be that wet. Also pulled the spark plugs out & squirted a little oil down each bore, before cranking the engine over with a ratchet to coat the bores.
Then I became embroiled in a titanic struggle with the starter motor -took forever to fit it. Why do they make it so damn awkward to get in place, & so bloomin' heavy! Ended up laying under the truck in the dark, struggling with it by torchlight, having had to remove one of the engine mounts to gain access. Sorted now, but I'll have to touch in all the paint I chipped in the process. Checked the engine still turned over cos I wondered if it was possible to jam the starter dog in the flywheel. All seems fine.
Slow progress but a little bit each day. I've got a week off in February so I'm hoping to get it fired up by then & MOT'd by the end of that week.

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #7898 on: January 18, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »

I would advise putting a hi volume oil pump kit on there, £60 from real steel.

http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section1.pdf

Scroll down to S1/7 top right

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7899 on: January 18, 2015, 11:25:03 PM »

So you will have a system of mirrors to check your oil pressure and coolant temp. then?... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7900 on: January 19, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »

Can't open PDF files Chris. What's in the kit? The pump seems to consist of 2 cogs, located above the filter housing.

-Had a quick Google of a couple of LandRover forums -very mixed opinions on the necessity of fitting the kit. It involves changing the pressure relief valve spring, which isn't included in the kit, but increasing the pressure leads to increased wear in other components.
I was always a little concerned that my oil warning light used to flicker at tickover, (with the old SD1 engine), but according to the manual, that's normal. I also wasn't sure of maximum pressure -my new gauge reads up to 60psi. Apparently tickover should be 10 -15 & maximum revs should be between 35 & 40. So hopefully my little gauge won't be exploding.

No progress today, but I nipped over to Camberley after work & bought new bright zinc plated bolts for the engine mounts to replace the rusting self-coloured ones we fitted for the SVA test cos they were all I could get at the time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:35:27 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #7901 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:16 PM »

SVA test, doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago now ?
Olds

« Reply #7902 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »

SVA test, doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago now ?
Yet, it was only three and a bit years ago. Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7903 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:46 PM »

Grin Registered in 2013 & driven all that year right up till New Years Day.
Off the road all of 2014.
Back on the road for the Spring of 2015 if I have to push the damn thing!

I keep thinking I've made no progress at all in the last 12 months, but then I think back to how we were driving it when it first hit the road & just about every part's been modified or completed since then. Still very much a work in progress, but it's definitely getting there ...isn't it?  Sad I don't plan on building another, this one's a keeper, so I suspect there'll be a continual process of evolution.

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #7904 on: January 20, 2015, 12:08:28 AM »

The kit consists of a pair of gears (longer than the ones you are running), a spacer (the thickness of the extra length of the gears), gaskets, pressure relief spring and some longer bolts.
It does up the pressure a bit, but more importantly it increases the volume of oil being pumped. The SD1 used this length of pump as standard. I certainly wouldn't run a rover without this size of pump

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: