May 15, 2024, 01:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ALUMINIUM FRAME WORK  (Read 3519 times)
stumpy

« on: August 27, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »

HAS ANYONE BUILT A TRIKE FRAME FROM ALLY TUBES??? PROS ITS CHEAP AND EASY TO BEND EASY TO WELD.... CONS NOT SURE IF IT WOULD PASS A STRESS TEST ANY VIEWS ON THIS WOULD BE GOOD
STUMP

stumpy can't voice his opinion here
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »

properly engineered i dont see the prob, lotsa sports bikes are ally

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Cabman77

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:25:51 AM »

they used to make the space frames of formula 1 cars out of it just got to use the correct grade I would guess, and that might put you`re argument that it`s cheap out of the equation. Wink Wink Wink Wink

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
nabsim

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »

Wouldn't this depend on whether you go hardtail or softail? I am thinking it would be more likely for ali tube to fracture on a hardtail but I don't know. Or does it just need better engineering nous to design a strong safe fram in ali?

hornet6

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »

Its definatly a higher grade alluminium......not bog standard stuff on your average jap gsxr, R1,R6 race rep.     

no projects ever finished
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »

Hi Stumpy,
Here goes. This is my opinion on Ali tube framing and as my experience is limited (as is my intelligence) please treat it as such and I will happily bow to another who may have a better take on this than I!

Pure aluminium tube is a non starter as it will stress fracture and is too weak.

Aluminium alloys may be a better option but looking at the frames the Japs produce the dimensional increase required to create the stiffness required is immense. Bearing in mind the entire structure is computer designed and hollow cast, a home built welded tube design cannot deal with the stresses inherent with the use to which it will be put. I have discussed in the past the use of Ali structures for bike sprint frames with both frame builders and riders and the consensus of opinion is that the dimensional increase required to get the durability will end up being heavier that an equivalent mild steel one. The welds will need to be perfect also as some alloys change their molecular structure when heated beyond their design limits which will cause the weld to fail just outside the weld field. This became quite a discussion point when Reynolds '531' tubing was all the rage with frame builders. Although not an aluminium alloy it had the annoying habit of failing beyond the braze if it went over temperature during construction a matter of just 100 degrees. The points at which other parts would be attached would wear oval over time as the metal is soft and distorts with impact and vibration. Aluminium has a huge coefficient of expansion which means it grows with heat more than most other metals and transmitts heat very well which may cause additional problems. The Jap cast Ali frames vary in thickness throughout their length to help compensate for the above and to help transmit stresses.
In short, unless you are very competent in the welding and design departments I would stick with the more traditional materials.
Hope that helps. I need to lie down for a bit!!
steve brock

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »

To achieve the same strength and stiffness of the frame it would look maahoosive,controls and brackets off the frame would be chunky too, anyway would you polish it, annodise it or paint it after ? Oxidisation could look pants after 5 minutes ... My two cents Smiley

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
stumpy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »

thanks for the input guys and yes over heated welded joints in any metal can lead to fractures not in the weld but in the material weather it tig mig or gas brazing i would not trust not saying its not a good way to join metal but feel its dated and the time and effort and cost of oxy accet puts me off gas welding ...any way ally seen many a trick bike frame fabricated in it it looks the bollox but every tube and bend is duplicate even trippled or 4 tubes is a single sided swinging arm guess i knew the answers but just wanted to write it off my build list thank you for pointing out the facts thou

stump

Cabman77

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »

Hi Stumpy,
Here goes. This is my opinion on Ali tube framing and as my experience is limited (as is my intelligence) please treat it as such and I will happily bow to another who may have a better take on this than I!

Pure aluminium tube is a non starter as it will stress fracture and is too weak.

Aluminium alloys may be a better option but looking at the frames the Japs produce the dimensional increase required to create the stiffness required is immense. Bearing in mind the entire structure is computer designed and hollow cast, a home built welded tube design cannot deal with the stresses inherent with the use to which it will be put. I have discussed in the past the use of Ali structures for bike sprint frames with both frame builders and riders and the consensus of opinion is that the dimensional increase required to get the durability will end up being heavier that an equivalent mild steel one. The welds will need to be perfect also as some alloys change their molecular structure when heated beyond their design limits which will cause the weld to fail just outside the weld field. This became quite a discussion point when Reynolds '531' tubing was all the rage with frame builders. Although not an aluminium alloy it had the annoying habit of failing beyond the braze if it went over temperature during construction a matter of just 100 degrees. The points at which other parts would be attached would wear oval over time as the metal is soft and distorts with impact and vibration. Aluminium has a huge coefficient of expansion which means it grows with heat more than most other metals and transmitts heat very well which may cause additional problems. The Jap cast Ali frames vary in thickness throughout their length to help compensate for the above and to help transmit stresses.
In short, unless you are very competent in the welding and design departments I would stick with the more traditional materials.
Hope that helps. I need to lie down for a bit!!

wot he said Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
stumpy

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »

haa lol pmsl well said cabby still laughing

nabsim

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »

Jeez Dslam if that post is an examply of limited intelligence I will order a D cap and go and stand in the corner Wink

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

Don't tell anyone but I made it all up Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: