May 15, 2024, 12:16:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: advice please on forks  (Read 4003 times)
comanche

« on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »

got the remnants of a reliant coming during the week but my bro-in-laws given me a gpz 305 are these forks any good or do i try to swop it for some decent ones  Huh 

love hurts especially when your old enough to know you shouldnt fall
tbone

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:53:25 PM »

31mm diameter stanchions, fitted with twin discs. Is it the full front end or just the forks that your getting?

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »

I always tend to go for something from a bike 750cc or over, simply because the forks will be designed to withstand the weight & performance of a physically big machine, so should be fine for a trike. My own trike uses Suzuki Savage forks. Although the tubes are large diameter, the Savage is a fairly soft riding, lightweight cruiser, so I've uprated the forks with progressive springs intended for a Harley.
Any decent sized, well sprung forks should do the job.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
comanche

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »

complete bike tbone the forks and headstock are in good nick

tbone

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:59:30 PM »

the gpz305 will weigh in the region of 165kg, a reliant robin about 450kg, and your trike? somewere in between. Although the forks aren`t the fatest on the market, there not the thinnest either, and i cant tell you about the internals.
My advice would be use them, certainly to start with, no reason they cant be swapped or uprated later.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

Nice set of girders, that's what you want!  Grin

panthershaun

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

Nice set of girders, that's what you want!  Grin
Oh yesssss Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

back to forks, my mate had a trike built by Desperate back in the late 80's I think and they used XS 250 forks, but it was a VW Praying Mantis trike if that makes a difference ( I know the engines at the back Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue)

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »

I doubt many forks would actually collapse under the weight, but trike front ends experience much higher stresses than bikes so why tempt fate. As you say Shaun, with the Mantis trikes, the majority of the stationary weight is on the back. Not sure what happens under braking or heavy cornering though.

comanche

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »

thanks everyone, im gonna start out with the kwacker then maybe replace. if this trike works then the next one might have girders

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »

I doubt many forks would actually collapse under the weight, but trike front ends experience much higher stresses than bikes so why tempt fate. As you say Shaun, with the Mantis trikes, the majority of the stationary weight is on the back. Not sure what happens under braking or heavy cornering though.

There have been a few Vw trikes that the forks that have sheared off, one a good few years back killed it's rider but I have heard that he was using 125 dirt bike forks.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »

Too small! Take Mankeys advice. Ya need a minimum of 36mm.
Whatever the weight on  the front wheel when standing. (Bout 160 180kg) times that by ten (Sort of impact you would get hitting  a deep pot hole (1680kg  to 1800( almost 2 tons)  Shocked. add three more to be sure  2100kg (over 2 tons) Grin You also have to bear in mind that there are huge lateral loads when cornering on a Trike that are not on a bike.

Add to that an allowance for stress fatigue you should go for much bigger than 31mm.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
comanche

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »

sounds good to me im attach to my body as it is ill use the kwacker forks for setting up while i find some bigger ones

manfred

So many projects - so little time.....

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »

If you're sticking with 'normal' forks, go for something like FJ (41mm) a few sets have been appearing cheap on ebay at the mo'.
Or, if you're feeling flush, a complete vmax front-end (40mm or 43mm). Best looking standard front-end in my humble opinion.

Over the hill and picking up speed on the long down-hill unto DEATH.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: