May 15, 2024, 11:43:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I overthinking this?  (Read 2125 times)
Billy_Boy

« on: May 21, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »

Hello all,

after reading that a lot of you use motorcycle batteries on reliant trikes, I thought I would read  a bit more on google about charging rate's and the like, and it seems most large motorcycle batteries charge at around two amps.

Now my alternator puts out 45 amps, so the question is, If I purchased a bike battery, will it cope with the output from the alternator, will it be overwhelmed, or am I just worrying too much?

Olds

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »

Yep, think you are over thinking it.
The output from the alternator is load dependant and doesn't force excess charge into the battery. And anyway big H.D.'s (FLT/FLH) have similar output alternators.
The only thing you really need to worry about is the cold cranking amps of the battery. Too small and you may well flatten it before starting the trike, so obviously one from a Honda 50 won't do.
Think the one on my trike is the same as on the Harley sportster I had.Turning over a 1200 twin takes a lot more umph than an 850 four.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Billy_Boy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »

Thanks for keeping me grounded Olds, just made life a bit simpler.

Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »

I just chose a bike battery at random for most of my trikes that I thought would probably be man enough to turn over a Reliant engine. I chose one for a Yamaha XS850, (early '80s 3 cylinder shaft drive). Worked fine when the trikes were in regular use, but if they were left unused in the garage for a few weeks, the batteries sometimes needed a quick charge up before they'd fire up the trike.
As you say, probably over thinking it.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:51:21 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Billy_Boy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »

Thanks bud! I do tend to try and fix problems that haven't even happened yet lol  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: