May 12, 2024, 01:49:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: chop builders!!!  (Read 10724 times)
stumpy

« on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »

I have just acquired a gpz 1100 motor with loom and carbs etc and an looking at one of those posh frames on the bay see link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-HARD-TAIL-FRAME-TO-SUIT-MOST-IN-LINE-4S-AND-TWIN-CHOPPER-CHOP-CUSTOM-/280795035604?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4160b037d4#ht_3450wt_1037

have no paper work so no vin number not sure if its strictly legal just stamping current vin number on new frame anyway so i guess it will need full msva as i dont think the cripples clause will work as with trikes?? where as you say its adapted for disabled use and just need inspection ?

so any imput please any one of you guys done this and how much of an issue was it etc

sure its not to much drama would like to know whats involved before i buy frame if its too much of a pain will sell motor and look into something elce

stump

stumpy can't voice his opinion here
andbolt0

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »

take a look on brit chopper .co.uk  if iam not mistaken the chap who builds these frames goes on that site  ask him the questions you want info on  or ask member on there for info  or put it through an msva test and do it legaly  the frames seem good quality   andy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:10:03 PM by andbolt0 » Logged
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »

If you can show that a trike has been built with adaptions for a disabled person you don't need MSVA - have a look at the NABD site for full details.

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/index.php

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Shafty

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »

I too have been looking at the exact same frame.

Check out the website  http://www.hardupchoppers.com/

They have a forum that might be worth a look as well  http://hardupchoppers.forumotion.co.uk/

Today I shall be mostly eating Jaffa Cakes.
digger06

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

If you can show that a trike has been built with adaptions for a disabled person you don't need MSVA - have a look at the NABD site for full details.

isnt that subject to certain rules?
stumpy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »

thanks gran i know the trike spec and deff not wanting to build one mearly wanting to find out about the chop but thanks for input
i will check out other forum and have sent some questions to the man on ebay
just read its oil cooled engines only have to look into that as well

one arm bandit

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »

i have a  right bracial plexus so will be velcroing my hand to the bar, my reliant trike build has all foot controls,clutch on left,accel on right,and heel brake on right all home made by my own fair hand so does this class as adapted for dissabled? i couldnt find any info on the link and was wondering about msva?? i dont have a dissabled badge or anything would this pass msva ruel apply to me??
stumpy

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »

if a trike is a bolt on back end and can be turned into its former glory then msva not required only an inspection of engine numbers and to see if its as stated in your application...... but many are misinformed and told to send paper work to wrong department zackboy found out on one of his builds
but i did read some where that if trike was an adapted then even if it was a rigid welded frame the same rules would apply as with a bolt on back end
and you avoid msva this ment people were building trikes for there gran or crippled mates and riding it themselves it was said you can build 3 per year and if you sold it to anyone else msva still not applicable as reg process done this is all a grey area i rand dvla and no one seamed to know what i was on about you probably will get most joy from a trip to your test centre as the inspection is carried out there and you may find it informative where there is a will there is a way gotta hand it to you lol now hop off and sort it good luck
as far as my vin number is concerned been told i can use originals reg and vin as long as i insure it as a modified bike im ok happy days so looks like a wormburner frame is the way i will be going on the chop build loads of grunt in the gpz 1100 and they say it will fit a treat     

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

Loony's been looking at these frames since we saw them at last year's Alexandra Palace show as he has the running gear from a GPZ tucked away at his workshop. Also featured in last month's 100% Biker magazine.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stumpy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:26 PM »

cheers mm yep it seems like a good buy would struggle to build it for that even with the jig and geometry mapped out time you get head stock and wheel adjusters .... they told me can stamp in original vin and insure as a modified bike mmmmm not sure as thats right but will research it some more but have heard those frames are due to go up in price so think i will get one soon and sit on it till i source the other bits and want to find out what is max back wheel size

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:19:08 PM »

Stamping the original frame number on a new frame would basically be building a "ringer". Not legal. No reason why it can't go through the MSVA test though. Speak to Blair -he's recently put his chop through with no major problems.

stumpy

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »

dead ringer for love cool thanks for that ... thats pretty much what i thought msva no sweat lol whats the worst can happen lol

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »

I've got a hardtail chop to MSVA at some point. I can't see it can be much tougher than a normal MOT -how much can you test on a bike?

andbolt0

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »

not so much  as what they can test on a bike but knowing how to build it right  ie  if it has seat for pillion  it has to have grab rails or hold ons for pillion  if the sva manual if followed it cant be to bad
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »

I had my truck SVA'd a couple of weeks ago. Very stressful as we were having all sorts of problems with the brakes, but the test itself is pretty common sense stuff really. Once they explain why they want certain things fitted in a certain way it makes sense.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: