May 10, 2024, 01:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE  (Read 30820 times)
RODeo

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

Cool! Smiley glad you found the problem,was that a bad earth on the base plate inside the body?Hmmmm...so thats the rear clip hitting no2 plug? I had a look through my plug top covers in my bits boxes today. Some do seem to protrude more than others. I got mine from VWP ,they are rubber and form a good seal round the top of the plug to stop water getting in.I made the leads up and crimped and fitted the brass connector inside each one. I mustve been lucky choosing those caps then!I think I even had to carve a bit off one of mine to clear. so...could you re time it and move the body round one place on the cap,then move all the leads round to suit?
skates

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »

i could if i knew how the hell to do that. iv always had bikes and cars with electronic ignition. this is the 1st time iv ever had to play about with pionts, dissies, roter bodies. i know its a great learning curve but im bloody lost here or i could just take the body in2 work and skim the corner off the clip holder thats hitting the plug. i had no idea that i would have to move the body so far around. plug and play my arse
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:13:01 PM by skates » Logged

if at first you don't succeed. hit the fecker with a hammer
terry t

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »

have you got a photo of the side of the engine showing the full distributor and plug leads
skates

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:06 AM »

will sort on out

skates

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »

and fifer i told my misses im off to the garage to suck my vacuum capsule. she said i was sick and should see the doc  Grin

fifer

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »

Originally posted by skates ;
and fifer i told my misses im off to the garage to suck my vacuum capsule. she said i was sick and should see the doc   Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I have been pondering as to why some folk have difficulty with the distributor cap boss touching the number 2 cylinder HT lead due to having to turn the distributor too far round .
I think I have found a possible cause and a possible couple of solutions which I hope to post tomorrow .

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
terry t

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »

set timing up to tdc.loosen clamp turn distributor anti clockwise one cylinder 45 degrees. move leads clockwise one cylinder to there original position. check timing.
fifer

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »

I have found part of the problem as to why the distributor has to be turned round too far and it is caused by the vacuum arm . I will post a pictorial later on today  Smiley

skates

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »

cool. ta mate

terry t

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »

have you got a photo of the side of the engine showing the full distributor and plug leads
will sort on out
have you got that photo yet
fifer

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

Had the whole article ready and was posting it on this post when it told me I had exceeded my 128kb limit .
Will get it posted up here but I have added the extra info to my website and you can view it just now at

https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintsandtips/electronic-conversions/how-to-fit-a-simonbbc-electronic-kit
Addition is near the bottom of the page under heading
POTENTIAL PROBLEM WITH THE DISTRIBUTOR HAVING TO BE ROTATED TOO FAR CLOCKWISE AND THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP CLIP BOSS BUTTING AGAINST THE NUMBER 2 PLUG LEAD

fifer

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »

Going to attempt to get article up as a 3 part post .

PART 1 of 3

POTENTIAL PROBLEM WITH THE DISTRIBUTOR HAVING TO BE ROTATED TOO FAR CLOCKWISE AND THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP CLIP BOSS BUTTING AGAINST THE NUMBER 2 PLUG LEAD

I have been pondering as to why some folk have difficulty with the distributor cap boss touching the number 2 cylinder HT lead due to having to turn the distributor too far round .

I took a few photos of the distributor , set up correctly in position , and noted the position of the peg which locates in the vacuum capsule rod hole  .

It is approx half way on the distributor cap clip boss when the vacuum capsule is correctly located in the peg .

DISTRIBUTOR SHOWING POINTS ABOUT TO OPEN WITH THE PEG IN THE CORRECT PLACE AND ROTOR ARM POINTING AT NUMBER ONE CYLINDER

Click on image to enlarge  

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh543/fifermanky/DISTRIBUTOR%20STUFF/Distributorshowingpointsabouttoopenwiththepeginthecorrectplace-1.jpg
ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE

Same position on the distributor but with the rotor arm removed to enable the cam position to be observed

DISTRIBUTOR SHOWING POINTS ABOUT TO OPEN WITH THE PEG IN THE CORRECT PLACE AND THE CAM POINTING AT NUMBER ONE CYLINDER .

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh543/fifermanky/DISTRIBUTOR%20STUFF/Distributorshowingpointsabouttoopenwiththepeginthecorrectplacewithoutrotorarm-1.jpg

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:40:20 PM by fifer » Logged

fifer

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »

PART 2 of 3

Pic of the vacuum capsule lever showing the hole where the movable points peg sits in .

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh543/fifermanky/DISTRIBUTOR%20STUFF/1DISTRIBUTORPOINTSBASEPLATEBOTTOMVIEWSHOWINGTHEVACUUMLEVERARM.jpg

Pic of the moveable points plate showing the peg which slots into the vacuum capsule lever hole .

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh543/fifermanky/DISTRIBUTOR%20STUFF/DISTRIBUTORPOINTSBASEPLATEBOTTOMVIEWSHOWINGTHEVACUUMLEVERARM.jpg

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:41:17 PM by fifer » Logged

fifer

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »

PART 3 of 3

I then removed the vacuum capsule and disengaged the rod from the peg .

I re-fitted the vacuum capsule just by pushing in and tightened the two retaining screws .

I took more photos and the change in the position of the peg which locates in the vacuum capsule rod hole was obvious .

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh543/fifermanky/DISTRIBUTOR%20STUFF/Distributorshowingpointsabouttoopenwiththepeginthewrongplace2-1.jpg

It had moved further round in an anti- clockwise direction away from the high point of the cam .

The points heel was well away from the highest point on the cam

Since the cam is stationary when you are doing a static time of the engine you have to turn the distributor body by hand in a clockwise direction to get the points nearer to the high point on the cam where the points will open .

This is why the distributor cap spring clip boss hits the number 2 cylinder .

SOLUTION ;
Engage the vacuum capsule rod in the points peg attached to the top plate.

If the rod is engaged correctly in the peg then might it be possible to slot the 2 holes in the electronic pick up thereby allowing you to move them nearer to the firing point ? .

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:42:38 PM by fifer » Logged

fifer

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »

I added the following info today 25 January 2012
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintsandtips/electronic-conversions/how-to-fit-a-simonbbc-electronic-kit

ADDITIONAL NOTE 1 ;
I think the following modification suggested by R3W forum member " norfolkandchance "  is a worthwhile addition .

Originally posted by R3W forum member "norfolkandchance" on 26 January 2012 ;

Fifer - you might like to add that its worth gluing the thin wires of Simonbbc proximity switch to the inside of the distributor away from the rotor with silicone.
The wires have a tendency to work their way through the rubber gromitt over time, tightening the wires across the rotor and eventually will rub through.

ADDITIONAL NOTE 2 ;
R3W forum member "Azzy" suggested doing the following

Originally posted by R3W forum member "Azzy" on 26 January 2012 ;

I glued the grommet into the dist case as well as the wires

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: