May 14, 2024, 11:20:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I getting old, or are youngsters getting stoopid?  (Read 4422 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 21, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »

Chatting to a lad at work today, he's about 18. I mentioned coal in the conversation -he genuinely didnt know what I was talking about. I was shocked. Eventually, the only reference to it he could understand was charcoal for barbeques, although he had no idea what that's made of or where it comes from.
When I told him there was no such thing as central heating when I was his age & that a bloke used to deliver sacks of coal to your house to burn on an open fire, he was convinced I was joking. I suppose kids now just don't see things like that anymore so don't think about it, in the same way they don't connect the milk in their fridge with cows.
God I'm getting old.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

But it does make you wonder what they actually learn that is of value in school! I mean you can know of the Roman Empire without actually ever having met a legionary!!! Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »

I guess they don't have to know anything anymore -they just have to know how to find it on the 'net.

Chevy Rick

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »

I burn coal along with logs in my fire and last year run low on the prepacked coal, so called in the local garage to see what price they charge, it was £3 more a bag than where I usually go, so said to the garage owner why was it so much more expensive, his answer was when petrol and diesel go up in price so does coal as it all comes from the same  OPEC country's and that's from a bloke in his late fifties so you can see where the youngsters of today get it from.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »

Mike and I had this conversation the other day.  It's a fact that although they get their heads stuffed with stuff from the Natinal Curriculum, they don't actually learn anything useful - the stuff we used to call 'General Knowledge'

We knew all sorts of random stuff!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »

Linda ( that's Mrs Old ) recons that one electromagnetic pulse or solar flare would show just how dependant those under a certain age are on modern technology.
Most youngsters seem to have difficulty with reading a map, have no idea how anything actually works etc. and without the internet have little clue how to find even the most basic information.
They learn a lot but know very little.
God help the future.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »

Sheesh, it's not only youngsters that can't read a map - lots of folks who get a satnav seem to forget - or maybe they never could?   Same people don't know where they've been or even where they are unless the satnav tells them!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
poprodder

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »

both my kids know how to lay an open fire an light it, then make sure its kept topped up with coal.
but then i am a bit old skool, having just bought a 22yr old car as a daily!!!

kevsky

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »

used to work with an old guy who had all the young uns believing he used to have a gas tv

reality sucks thank god for religion
Olds

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »

And whats wrong with having a gas tv Cheesy
I try to show my youngsters (I say young but they are both adults now) that there are ways to do most things, that doesn't require the use of the latest technology or equipment only availiable to big companies.
Think I was lucky, when I was 14, my Aunt gave me some packing cases that contained an NSU fully stripped down and I mean fully stripped down plus a manual. That was my first motorised project. Also she taught me how to lace and true wheels, even in her 80s she is still the best wheel builder I have ever known.
Mr MM will know who I am talking about and I suspect so will most Basingstoke bikers over the age of 50.
I owe her big time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:41:44 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
nabsim

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »

Next time. You see him Andy just mention that there were no tv's either then watch his eyes glaze over Smiley

merv

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

Next time. You see him Andy just mention that there were no tv's either then watch his eyes glaze over Smiley

Grin Grin Grin I can remember those days, do that mean I'm old

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
nabsim

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »

Thinking about it Merv I think Andy is only 50 so bet he won't remember before tv Smiley

ROD

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »

Daughters (new) boyfriend visits us.Hes 24 yrs old and works for Morissons bakery. Properly trained by them as a baker,been to college etc.We got to talking about bread and I mentioned how the grain is milled to make flower.He looked puzzled.
 Me.. Bit of a big step from windmills,with old 'windy miller' running the mills then eh? .
 Daughter..oh,is that what those things with big sails are for! I thought they were just for show!
 I looks at him ,and he says,I didnt know that either!
 Me....So how come that you use flour and dont know where it comes from then?
 Him..comes out of a sack!
 me ..yeah,just like milk comes out of a bottle!
  It isnt as if we havent taught our daughter about these things!  Shocked Roll Eyes She's blonde and from Essex...so enuf said I s'pose!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:39:29 AM by ROD » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »

Mr MM will know who I am talking about and I suspect so will most Basingstoke bikers over the age of 50.

Yup, I remember Betty. She ruled the motorcycle department of Giffords bike shop in Basingstoke when I was a teenager. She didn't take any nonsense from us lippy kids who thought we knew better than her cos she was old, (she couldn't have been more than 50 at that time. Same age as me now). I remember being chased down the stairs from her counter above the bicycle shop several times! -then realising I had to go back & apologise or she wouldn't order the parts for my Bonny.

First memory of colour TV was coming home from primary school one day to find the Beatles on the telly, playing live. I watched for several minutes before it suddenly dawned on me that they were in colour! I also vividly remember my parents camping out in the living room in sleeping bags to watch the drama of the Apollo 13 mission unfold, cos there was only one TV in the house.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: