May 14, 2024, 10:47:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: calling nabsim  (Read 3470 times)
hunter

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »

Word of warning,make sure the calipers are perfectly dry of the cleaning fluid,
or the new seals will turn to gum,the cleaning fluid effects them.

I
nabsim

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »

dobber are the pistons in yours the same diameter for the full length of them. I am almost certain mine were 36mm when I went into it before but cant find what I had written down. I have verniered the end of the piston and they are 36mm so if they are parallell thats what they are. Its possible they step down on the ends though.

Take the pistons out I hear you say and I know thats what I should do but I was going to try them first and see if they are sound Smiley

dobber

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »

hi nabsim,
measured mine and would have sworn they were 36mm but found a 38 embossed on the caliper case so went with that. the top of the piston has a grove round where the dust seal sits in and a lot of folk put grips or stilsons on to screw the piston out which easily wears a few mm off. its quite easy to clamp caliper in a vice and use a tool for changing a cutting wheel in a four inch grinder to screw the piston out, the indentations in the piston top are the same as the prongs on the grinder tool. just screw it out and check it.
inside mine was full of what felt like grit, was the old fluid that had congealed. be carefull if you strip them right down completely as far more parts in than you would think.
 i googled it and found a good picture guide but don't know how to do a link.. if your not far from me your welcome to come over and will help do them in work shop.  

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »

To post the link, right click on the address at the top of the page you want to link, so that it's highlighted in blue. Select "Copy", then go to the reply box here, right click again & select "Paste".

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »

the  proper caliper wind back tool can be bought for as little as a tenner
a good full universal kit for about  £35

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
dobber

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 05:40:53 PM »

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227041
be a first if the link works

dobber

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

im just turning into a geek,   a good looking one mind...

thebigdogsix

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »

Less of the lies dobber  Grin
dobber

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »

Less of the lies dobber  Grin
ok, point taken,   perhaps not a geek then.
 by the way dan, used the hose folk you mentioned, very helpfull but a tad expensive. or at least i think so.. never got a quote off anywhere to compare. did good tho.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:32:12 PM by dobber » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »

Mr Dobb, you are indeed a computer god!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
thebigdogsix

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »

I did look around and to be honest they were about on parr with most some were a bit cheeper but they were all order over the phone or internet and i was not sure what i wanted and as you say they were helpful and local
nabsim

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »

Jeez, there are a lot more bits in them than ones I have done before. Handy link that dobber ta.

Stainless braided is expensive now, ends are stupid prices. You can same a bit if you have them made to what you want with swagged (is that the word?) ends on rather than re-usable. Changed front brake line and clutch line on VW last year and it came to around £67. Was a shock seeing as last ones I bought must have been in the 90's Smiley

dobber

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »

I did look around and to be honest they were about on parr with most some were a bit cheeper but they were all order over the phone or internet and i was not sure what i wanted and as you say they were helpful and local
am happy now i got them done dan, only 20 mins roughly from my gaff.. thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:33:39 PM by dobber » Logged

dobber

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »

Jeez, there are a lot more bits in them than ones I have done before. Handy link that dobber ta.

Stainless braided is expensive now, ends are stupid prices. You can same a bit if you have them made to what you want with swagged (is that the word?) ends on rather than re-usable. Changed front brake line and clutch line on VW last year and it came to around £67. Was a shock seeing as last ones I bought must have been in the 90's Smiley
proper giggle doing them eh nabsim. did second one in a quater of the time.   seems to have sorted mine. did you use the bigg red kit.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: