May 17, 2024, 10:34:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564747 times)
spanners

« Reply #8115 on: May 11, 2015, 12:21:05 AM »

2010 that advert. Wonder if he managed to sell it.

Read further down!! At the end of the posts!!

you was,nt backward when  brains came out   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Baychimp

« Reply #8116 on: May 11, 2015, 06:18:58 PM »

2010 that advert. Wonder if he managed to sell it.

Read further down!! At the end of the posts!!

you was,nt backward when  brains came out   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Don't know what your laughing about. You're not the sharpest tool in the box.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8117 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:27 PM »

Not sure if this is progress or not.
Mr Loon's been busy with customers' cars lately & I need to push on or I'll miss another Summer. So I nipped to the local paintshop yesterday & had a litre of cellulose paint mixed, then 4 aerosol cans made up from it, (that leaves me plenty of paint in the tin for more spray cans when I need 'em).
I figured if I could spray the inner wing sections myself I could get on & re-fit the exhausts, then fire up the engine.
So there I was this afternoon with the place to myself, working outside in a howling gale with sand & gravel being whipped up off the yard, trying to paint. Because of the wind, I had to hold the can far too close to the panel so ended up with some massive runs -big enough to rival the swage lines in the body & so bad I'm not even going to show them to you. Bugger. Then, 2 minutes after I'd painted it, it rained. Then there was a massive hailstorm. Wonderful.
So all in all, not a perfect showroom finish. I waited as long as I could for it to dry then pulled the tarpaulin over it & went home.
More bad weather forcast for tomorrow, so I'll give it a couple of days then rub the runs out, sort out the dodgy filler work that showed up with some paint on it, then blow it over again. At least it's got a base coat on it now.
On the plus side, the colour match is pretty good. I'll be so pleased when the whole thing's finally the same colour. Believe me, it looks way better in photos than real life.  Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8118 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »

Lots of overspray on the chassis & radius arms, but they need a second coat of brushed on black paint anyway.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8119 on: May 19, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »

Loony sprayed the bulkhead in 2 pack & I've sprayed the rest in cellulose.

poprodder

« Reply #8120 on: May 19, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »

looks ok andy.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8121 on: May 19, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »

Yeah, looks great from about 20 feet away!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8122 on: May 21, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »

While waiting for the paint to harden enough to rub it down & re-do it, I spent my day off today taking the headlining panel back to Phil the upholsterer. The spray glue he used hasn't held & the front edge has started to drop away from the metal panel. I gave him the tin of brush-on high temperature glue I bought with the material, so we'll try again with that. He's not at all impressed with the ready made "tuck n roll" material I supplied. I've told him if he can't make it stick, I'm O.K with him stitching his own, though it'll take some time, (& money).
I also gave him the door panels, which were upholstered by Loony's Mum. They were done in a hurry before our trip to Holland & I'd like them in a mix of tuck n roll & plain vinyl. I figured while I'm messing about with paint, it's a job I can farm out so it's ready when everything else is.
I also took him the leather strap I'd like to fit on the battery box of my motorcycle. Unfortunately he can't stitch leather that thick, so after a bit of running about, I found a local saddle repairer & took it there.
So for those that have asked, nothing to show, but stuff still happening.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8123 on: May 22, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »

Rubbed the runs in the paint out this afternoon. Doesn't look too bad now. I'd laid the green on pretty heavy so only broke through the top coat to the primer in a couple of places while sanding it. If the weather's O.K tomorrow, I'll Scotchbrite it all & blow on a few more coats.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:29:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8124 on: May 24, 2015, 06:49:34 AM »

Scotchbrited & re-sprayed.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8125 on: May 25, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »

poprodder

« Reply #8126 on: May 25, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »

thumbs up from me. you'll soon be losing the monkey!!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8127 on: May 25, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »

Posting from my phone -just wrote a long explanation but it doesn't seem to have posted.
After much discussion I've decided to go with a satin finish on the bodywork. I'll keep the bulkhead, interior & fuel tank in gloss for a bit of contrast as well as to show it's not just a lousy paintjob!
So I've rubbed a couple of ripples out of the paint with 2,000 grit wet n dry, then Scotchbrited it all. The lack of reflections might also disguise my wobbly filler work a bit.
Sprayed the inside of the cowl vent in gloss & took the header tank & washer bottle off & resprayed them in gloss black.
With the paint finished around the screen I was able to remove the masking. Once the glass & rubber is cleaned up I'll seal it with some black mastic. Then I need to clean the overspray off everything & get on with fitting up the engine.

kapri

« Reply #8128 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:14 PM »

Permanent satin or just to make it one colour and protect it until you redo ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8129 on: May 25, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »

Certainly for the Summer. Depends if I like it or not really. As Mr Loon says, we can always blow a coat of clear lacquer over it to bring the gloss back. Next Winter I plan to take the body off the chassis, powder coat the chassis & fully paint the body. So this is only for this year. Maybe.

Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: