May 17, 2024, 02:05:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564609 times)
panthershaun

« Reply #4815 on: May 13, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »

pure compliment mate... I decided ages ago mine is going to be very basic with me only doing what I have to do make her go and be safe, I want to try and keep the original look and feel to the interior of the cab if possible with a hidden stereo or maybe even an ipod dock as the total luxury items.... no flash metal work or fancy interior here.. mainly because a/ I don't have much time b/ I don't have much money and c/ I have chuff all metal working skill  Cheesy Cheesy

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4816 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »

MMMotors logo stickers on the doors, just for the transport festival, courtesy of Bob the T shirt printer. He also made the banners in the background.

And who wrote the fiction on the board by the truck?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4817 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:59 PM »

Fiction?! It was all true Bobbi!  Grin  Me.

1953 Ford Popular commercial/military truck

A factory prototype, produced by Ford in 1953, based on the 103e Popular that was in production at that time.
Commissioned by Major General Sir Winklebury-Clandon, Viceroy of Northern India after a chance conversation with Ford's head of foreign liason, Brigadier, (retired), Andrew Marcus, during a dinner party in Nepal.
The Viceroy suggested a rugged pick-up truck, more substantial than the more common Australian "ute" Populars, for both civilian & Military use & after much deliberation, a single pre production prototype was built in strictest secrecy.
Before shipping, Sir Winklebury-Clandon had the truck fitted with the latest Buick engine to cope with the mountainous Indian terrain. The large diameter wheels are a common modification for rural India's heavily rutted roads, but meant the standard Popular arches had to be replaced with lightweight spats, produced by local craftsmen.
The large payload area could carry several goats or a 2 man machine gun team with equal ease.
A heavy box section chassis was designed in anticipation of a military half track version of the pick-up, but steel shortages in Britain at the time meant that materials had to be redeemed in other areas. It was decided to lower the roof height to save metal as Indian service personnel were generally shorter than their British counterparts. The lower windscreen also provided much needed shelter from the glare of the sub continent's mid day sun.
As Viceroy to the Northern provinces, Sir Winklebury-Clandon was also Commander in Chief of the infamous 35th Foothills Brigade, known as the "Monkeys" after their regimental mascot, a large grey chimpanzee. On his retirement from service, the regiment presented their commander with the silver monkey head bonnet badge, which remains on the truck to this day. Other than a collision with a local taxi driver, which resulted in the new tailgate, bearing the legend "Manky", or Memsaab in the regional dialect, the pick-up has remained largely unchanged.
Ford had planned to provide factory tooling for the truck under the Anglo/Indian trade agreement, to produce 10,000 vehicles a year under licence, in similar fashion to today's Enfield India motorcycles, but the uprisings of the mid 50s, plus the untimely death of Sir Winklebury-Clandon from an unspecified social disease put an end to the project. In a sad state of dis-repair, the prototype was shipped back to Britain by Brigadier Marcus & re-registered for use on Her Majesty's highways, hence it's Q registration plates, but was only ever used to tour his Surrey estate, never venturing onto the open road.
After many years of neglect & several changes of ownership, the truck was rediscovered in a Hampshire barn. Since then, a small team of volunteers have given up their time to restore the forgotten Ford to it's former glory.
A photo diary of their ongoing work can be viewed at:
www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4818 on: May 13, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »

Shaun, we might steal your Landrover hinge idea, if you don't mind. Not suicide doors, just normal for us, but those hinges would save us rebuilding the originals.
Met up with Dave, with the Pump Action pick-up at the Basingstoke Festival of Transport today. It's featured in this month's Custom Car magazine.
The coffin loaded on the back isn't just for show -he's actually a funeral director &, after fulfilling a friend's request to be carried to his funeral on the pick-up, is now offering it as a service.
Nice guy. He promised to bring his truck over at the end of the show so we could get some pics of them side by side. Unfortunately we'd already loaded mine on the trailer when he arrived. Lots of similarities, including the Morris Minor cab back panel, but he's running a Ford Pinto engine in his.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:02:12 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4819 on: May 13, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4820 on: May 13, 2012, 11:30:31 PM »

Fiction?! It was all true Bobbi!  Grin  Me.

You might add a  Wink next time - people were taking it as gospel!    Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
panthershaun

« Reply #4821 on: May 14, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »

no problem Andy, do you want the ebay link to them?? as stated elsewhere they cost about 8 squids a pair plus p&p.. top quality mate  Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4822 on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »

Yes please Shaunus.
Bobbi, that was the idea!
We started out building an outright hotrod, but it's gradually evolving into something a bit more vintage looking. We keep saying that once it's finished & painted we should try & sneak it into the vintage commercial line-up at some of the country/steam fairs. So we needed a back story to go with it. I'd love to think we could convince a few old codgers that it was a production model.  Cheesy

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4823 on: May 14, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »

But it's nice for the forum members to be in on the joke..................

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4824 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »

They're the old codgers I was talking about!  Tongue

panthershaun

« Reply #4825 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320879593074?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320879646447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4826 on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:26 PM »

Ahh, door hinges. Cheers Shaun.
Nik's arty farty Pop pics.

panthershaun

« Reply #4827 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:06 AM »

checkout the latest CC, green 34 Ford if fitted with the same style of hinges....

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4828 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »

Is there much play in them Shaun? Do they have bushes in them or just metal on metal? My original Pop hinges have got 60 years of wear, so the doors drop as you open them.

Basket case

3 wheels on my wagon...

« Reply #4829 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »

They're the old codgers I was talking about!  Tongue
LOL  Grin Grin Grin
I'll be one of them old codgers then. You got me, hook line and sinker  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: