May 14, 2024, 04:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: bummers chop project  (Read 25991 times)
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

after some more Saturdays i ve got a bit further. since last post i have converted my back wheel to disc and i think it has been a success but i wont know until i fit the caliper and find out how if the run of is noticable through the pedal , I'm going to fit the caliper in between the down tubes not underneath kind'o like the fancy pro jobs but probably not as good. also managed to get hold of new mudguard for the back , its actually a metal trailer mudguard and i had to buy a pair but a 20.00 i thought it was a pretty good deal . i am not sure if to cut it down a lot further which might mean i can get away without a brace bar but get soaked if it rains i might chop the second one down and run a pole on it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

A Pole? A gentleman of Polish descent?
Looking great there matey. Personal opinion? I'd chop the guard down to a point at 90 degrees to the seat rail & use a curving strut on either side. I thought it was a fancy pro job!  Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
blair

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

no not that kind of pole i meant the kind that girls with big b**bs dance around ( not that i would now mutch about that  Wink . i was unsure about the struts cause if i cut it down it does stop the flexing but i suppose it depends if i mount the tail light on the guard or on the frame . as for calling it a pro job maybe if a blind man with no fingers was building it. i think shed build is more apt  Grin 
hornet6

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »

good job there mate,all nice and neat. what happens next,has it got to go for test to make sure its safe n legal for the road. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »

That's a big ol' shed you've got there then -jeez, you've even got room for a forklift in there.  Cheesy

blair

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2008, 08:01:30 AM »

thanks hornet , ive still a fair bit to do , i think !  Cry theres the back brake caliper , pegs and levers , brake lines and switches , front mudguard , rear lights and reg plate mounting , indicators , mirrors , final checks before the frame goes for coating ( and i know what coulor too ) tyres , chain and guard , peice to cover the sharp edge of the battery box , the wring loom to pass through the frame . and then maybe mot. MM ok we will call it an industrial shed build if that helps. i restored a 2.8 capri in a lock up once and it was about the size of your one so this shed is excellent to work in although slighty errie in the middle of winter at night. 
blair

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »

just about finished the rear brake set up , bought a master cylinder for ebay for a tenner and just had to modify a lever i had lying around was originally wanting to use one a newer style one from a bandit or something but due to me being a short arse i had to locate the pegs so as not to loose any leverage for the gear shift . , not tried it yet but it looks good to me ( mind you i am quite blind) also made the rear engine mount i tried to keep it the same angle as the frame for aesthetics , on the other side i set the chain guard in place and next is a chain tensioner
blair

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

hornet6

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »

love the style of the frame mate.Very similar to mine, but mine has a single front down tube and no rear tensioner as im,e gonna use some kind of spring mounted jockey wheel.Im,e just trying to raise a bit of cash to get a big single cylinder engine in it{xt 600 or dr 600 750 800 yes yes yes}.Just bought a sprocket carrier off ebay for a tenner,and am slowly gathering bits n bobs ,just have,nt got the room in the garage with the hornet and the scrot.Got any vaccancies at your place so i can do my project in that nice unclutered workshop  Grin Grin Grin Grin

madron

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »

that is lookin so cool plain n simple everything just flows so well bet ya cant wait to have a blast
blair

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »

cheers is good to know that it looks ok from someone other than me  Grin . your not wrong madron but once i have built it up i have to strip it all down to get coated and i dont want to feed the wiring loom through untill thats done , so i cant test is out  Sad  but theres a couple of rallies up our way i would like to have it on the road for at least one of them . if you fancy a job then yes i could arrange a little space for you H6 but its a bit of a comute on a 6 am start . i would like to have used a single but the 550 was what i had available for cheap , my freind had a dr650 and he thought it was a frikin ace block untill it seized but they dont seam easy to get hold of ( engines i mean ) . the rear tensioners are not used as the caliper is in a fixed location so i also will have to make a chain tensioner so it will be intersting to see the differance between what you come up with compared to me.     
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »

Couldn't you mount the caliper on a slotted bracket to give you the adjustment to use the chain adjusters?
Remind me again- what's going on with the tube above the battery box? Looks like it's got the engine mounts on one end, is welded to the vertical seat post in the middle & picks up the mudguard mount at the back? That's unusual.
Madron's right -simple & clean lines. Nice. Very nice. Grin
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:54:41 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

blair

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »

thanks MM, yes i could put the caliper onto slotted brackets but am usure how messy it would look but may be worth a couple of tak welds to see . i dont know how they do it on the fancy show harleys as they dont show you in the glossy photos how the chain is tensioned but i have got 2 ideas and one of them is just plain silly    http://www.renold.com/Products/TransmissionChainSprockets/Roll_Ring.asp   and the other is to use a motocrosser spring loaded one and i dont want to coat the frame untill im sure there is no more welding to do . and i may have to if i go for this idea. the rear engine mount is pretty much as you said it was the only way to do it without looking totaly stupid and it gives an extra mount for the rear guard so i can put on a really short one if i want ( i like to keep my options open )
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »

I've used 'crosser chain tensioners on hardtail chops before with no problems. The flat rubber blade type seem more rugged than the skateboard wheel variety.

hornet6

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »

hi m8 its me again.Obviously your way ahead of my build,as all iv'e got is a frame built with no mountings for engine seeing as i have'nt got one,but iv'e got some idea of what the colours gonna be if i get it done.2 variations of a theme. No1,black gloss frame with satin copper tank and mudgaurds. No2,bright silver gloss frame with satin hot rod red tank and mudgaurds.Wanted to get it down here and now cuz if you do something similar and mines done next year u might say im'e copying ya.They say imitations the highest form of flaterry lol Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: