May 21, 2024, 04:41:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: some from last weekend  (Read 2176 times)
brock

« on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:37 AM »

June Shootout and Superpull.

Having indentured ourselves to the Chicken Tika Munki's for the season Lesley and I arrived Friday afternoon in quite pleasant T shirt type weather and proceeded to set up the travelling circus and chuck the car out of the back of the truck. Some time later the lovely Gina and hard core hot rodder Scottie turned up in a very nice silver Vauxhall  Roll Eyes and we opened a beer and it all went down hill from there really. Except that it didn't.
   After some thought and a bit of discussion during the week Scot had bought  Shocked some new, smaller jets for the Webbers and fitted them Friday night. Saturday morning with the number one driver firmly installed and Scottie in the vauxhall  Roll Eyes we towed down to the place of truth to try it out. The car was sounding really sharp as Gina put it in the beams and on the green really smacked it's arse, wheels up, on the bars and away, a long gentle curve of a pass easing over to the left and back and out the back door at 13.2, a full second better than before, causing Scottie to dance like a girl and, I believe, do a little wee.
   A bloody good start to the weekend but consistency was what we wanted, what did we get ? we got Gina, driving a clutched four speed manual, producing a handfull of timing tickets, none of which started with anything other than 13.2--, superb driving. And the Vauxhall was quite nice too  Roll Eyes   
   Due to a poor forcast for Sunday we ran the first round of competition Saturday last thing, this would stand as a result if no racing was possible on Sunday. Another 13.2 , just 0.04 off of a perfect predicted pass and good enough for second place , being beaten to first by 0.004 and a damm fine run from Terry clifford in his "Ratcatcher Resurrection" car
   More to follow
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »

Good work chaps. Great wheelie photo.  Grin
So what do crewing duties actually entail then? -for those readers who've never been to a drag meet. And us stoopid ones that have.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
brock

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:22 PM »

The photos a bit blurred as Lesley lifted it from one of the videos but it does show the car off well. I'm told that, for those with Facebook access, Martin Chesworth ( sp? ) has posted a sequence of the first run of the day, nor seen it yet, need to hack an account later tonight.

Crewing duties, these seem to mainly consist of wearing lairy shirts and pushing stuff about. I was once trusted to check tyre pressures but less so since a displaced valve stem led to a deflated slick just prior to the call to the lanes. I consider myself a bright boy and have lofty ambitions, I fully expect to be allowed to hold the polishing rag before the season's end. One further critical ability is to be able to stifle a yawn and nod sagely whilst the number two driver bemoans his week and decides who's going on The List , ( Scottie's lady parts of the week ). On the plus side it also entails going to the bar with aforementioned number two driver for a nice cold pint of Grolsh at close of play, making it all worth while 
brock

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »

Also present for the weekend but competing on a different track were these agricultural buffs
brock

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »

It has been years since I have seen tractor pulling, the meet was run last year as well but I don't remember being there, mind you, a lot of last season has been deeply repressed, things have moved on and got really quite professional. Seemed a good bunch of people and more than happy to talk about their toys. The show started at three and ran on 'till after nine, the freshly prepped track seemed to be to their liking and I for one hope it becomes a bigger part of the venue, bloody good show, big power.
brock

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »

brock

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:03 PM »

brock

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:57 PM »

brock

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »

brock

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »

Then on Sunday it rained   Sad
brock

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »

There was also a fair contingent of sprint bikes present, unfortunately I didn't get the time to get to their end of the pits or get to see many of their runs, did see local hero Mr Bernard White unmercifully thrash his old Douglas down the strip though, brilliant.
    All in all, a really good meet, despite Sundays weather, roll on next year.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: