May 15, 2024, 02:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65
  Print  
Author Topic: RODS build........  (Read 255076 times)
ROD

« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »

Still looking good!
ROD

« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »

Another long day today. Got the h/brake mechanism done ,just gotta get cables and adjusters. Handlebar ends stepped down to 7/8" ,and large holes drilled in bars ready to plug weld the step downs are now assembled and tacked up,after re shaping the risers to blend in more.Mudguards mocked up to get ideas on sizes etc. Could be slow progress for the next few days due to going back to work tamara after 2 weeks leave.
tbone

« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »

Work! the bane of a shed builders life  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
ROD

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2009, 04:39:01 PM »

Still wrangling over a bike rad in this trike.Anyone any comments?
tony b

« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »

im using a gpz 600r rad,its out in the open so i cant see a problem

it wasnt me ,you cant prove it;
ROD

« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »

What engine is that on then?
ROD

« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »

Just been to the bike breakers. He reckons there isnt a rad fitting my requirements,so its back to the Reliant one!
tony b

« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »

850 reliant.

it wasnt me ,you cant prove it;
ROD

« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2009, 06:06:19 AM »

Heres a mock up ,still not sure about rad. Have hatched a plan for it to go in front of the down tubes as originally envisaged,but closer in to the tubes with a open front casing over it to make it smoother looking ,and less obtrusive.Will paint the casing to 'lose' the profile a bit.
 The tank doesnt stick out like a sore thumb now ,as the seats are mocked up at about their correct height.
 Have also changed the 'bar risers to be more swoopy since photo taken.And I think that the bars arent as angled now ,as the angle in the pic hurt my right wrist a bit.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:15:21 AM by ROD » Logged
ROD

« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »

Im knackered!...for the last 2 days Ive been poncing around solely trying to make the rad and its mountings look better.Wasted time building rad casings in aly and in steel.The boxing ,apart from looking crappy,seemed to restrict the airflow (here I go again! Grin)Thought I could do it without a plan ,and just 'wing it',but It didnt work out ! But in the last hour a completely new,"simples" idea  seems to have come together! Not quite there yet ,but a new start tamara should see it finished ,at least in its raw state. Depending how you look at it,I suppose all this development time hasnt been wasted.Hey Ho!
               Rod
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »

Shed time is never wasted time!
Don't forget this is supposed to be fun Rod -the challenges are what keeps it interesting -so they tell me.
JJ has posted a couple of pics of her Reliant trike, built by Mick from Kent. Can't remember which threads they were posted in but more than likely taken by her other half Chevy Rick. Hers has lots of panelled in sections, including around the radiator I believe. Yet to see it in the flesh but looks very well put together.
The "simples" ideas are usually the best.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
toad

« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »

im a bit biased on this blanking of pipes. if you do blank them off make sure you know the history of the engine. if its been run with no coolant the chances are that no4 cyl will have a corroded liner blocking the water circulation and what happens as a result two things can happen it will sieze and push the liner up giving the impression of a blown head gasket.(this is whats happened to the engine i got from byzmax not a problem to put right if you know what your doing) secondly it,ll run very hot and eventually wear out and die! what i,ve always done is to link them together. this is just my view on it i really cant offer anymore advice cheers toad!

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »

All my Reliants so far have had the rear cylinder feed linked across to one of the water pump outlets -that's the hose the bleed nipple was fitted in on my last trike. I've blanked the rear cylinder feed on my present trike build because Ska Man tried it & it seemed to work. However I've yet to run mine like that as I'm still building it, so I'm more than happy to bow to your greater experience Mr Toad & hook it back up again. Muffin found a right angled plumbing fitting that screwed into the head in place of the rear hose spigot. That meant he could run that top hose tucked in lower to the rocker cover rather than in a big arch of rubber hose. Much tidier. I think I'll do the same. I'm very happy to admit I certainly don't know everything & can -& do -learn as much here as everyone else.  Wink

ROD

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2009, 07:43:32 PM »

On an A series engine,if I recall correctly,the pipe running from the front (top hose) ran along side the rocker cover in copper tube,to the rear of the cyl head. I think it 't'd into the heater tap there.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing Taz's trike hoses in copper with rubber at each end, plus copper brake lines, just to give it a more vintage look.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65
  Print  

Jump to: