May 15, 2024, 07:41:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the sun with a gearbox  (Read 1984 times)
andyrennison

« on: March 26, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »

Hi All.  Just thought i'd share something with you.  Spent all of Saturday outside in the sun getting the rear gearbox mounts sorted on my reliant gearbox.

The rubber mouts were long gone, and the steel plate had all but corroded away leaving just the steel thread portion embedded flush in the gearbox. Ouch. 

I worked around the steel with my dremmell to get a little clearence to the ally, maybe that was recessed at some time, it seemed easy.

Then i ground a tip onto a length of  1/4 bar and carefully welded the tip onto the end of the remaining bolt shaft, filling up the void so I had a ball of wels, nicely snuggled in the recess.

A few goes at twisting the bar (welded on a long cross bar), with attendent heating and cooling, plus liberal spraying with WD40 and the swines finally moved. Took ages rocking back and forth 1/16 of a turn at a time, spraying and trying again, eventually got them out.   That took a day, which left only the evining in the setting sun to celebrate with a few beers.

May be of some use if anyone else has a similar problem Smiley

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
steven brock

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

Cut off grinding disc to create a slot then screw driver can work sometimes.. My two cents .. Well done fella Smiley

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
andyrennison

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Yeah, the exposed steel was quite recessed, I think I would have had to slot the ally as well Smiley

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
one arm bandit

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »

i had to drill one out, i then tapped them to accept m10 bolts,then lock tighted them on final assembly.
digger06

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »

i had to drill one out, i then tapped them to accept m10 bolts,then lock tighted them on final assembly.

thats what i did, worked well
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: