May 17, 2024, 11:32:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565026 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2250 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »

The proud parents.
Mr Lunatic & Mr Manky.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
afghanman

« Reply #2251 on: August 31, 2010, 06:51:19 AM »

Nealy there Gromit Cheesy Looking great  Cool

pkdsculpture.moonfruit.com
Cabman77

« Reply #2252 on: August 31, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »

ooking good geezer, hat off to you Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #2253 on: August 31, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »

love it

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
tbone

« Reply #2254 on: August 31, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

Even though i`ve seen it in the flesh, i`d forgotton how short it was!
Makes Mr Lunatic look like a giant  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
poprodder

« Reply #2255 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »

sorry but.......

that looks the bo****ks Cool

Firery Fred

« Reply #2256 on: August 31, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »

Been following this from the start,even though I have never been interested in hotrods I have thoroughly enjoyed it's creation,looking great   Cheesy

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2257 on: August 31, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »

When my triking days come to an end I want a hotrod of some sort - only through seeing them on here!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2258 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »

We get plenty of feedback from readers who've started their first trike builds after seeing rides like yours BG.  Wink
Whether you're into 2, 3 or 4 wheels -or more, there's no reason why you can't appreciate something else. I love traction engines. Never likely to own one, but I can take styling ideas from that genre & adapt them for my own projects. Everybody who posts here inspires someone else in one way or another.
Loony & I have both always been into rods & studied the cars at shows & read all the how-to articles in the magazines, but never actually built a car from scratch. It's been, (& still is), a huge learning curve. We've built a chassis, designed & built the suspension, put together the steering, fitted an engine, gearbox & axle from donors that were never intended to go together, created a braking system, hacked up & reconstructed a 50 year old bodyshell, using parts from half a dozen other cars...all with not much more than basic hand tools, a welder & a grinder.
it's been challenging, frustrating, bloody annoying -& fun. Still a long way to go, but it's starting to look like a real car now. If we can do it, anyone can!
Can't wait till we can rumble through the gate of our first rod show, park up, stand back & say Yeah, we built it.  Cool   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:28:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

gazzagood

« Reply #2259 on: September 03, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »

nice one andy it moves. Grin (sorry rolls)keep up the good work both.hope to see it drive out the lock up soon. Grin Grin Grin Grin

gaz

I always know what I'm doing. Can you help me
PLEASE
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2260 on: September 05, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »

A YouTube vid of a very similar truck, (a '37 Ford), in the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFEgBlavy1o&feature=related

Lots of these Stateside, but very few over here yet. I'd like to think ours is better built -& it's BRITISH!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:41:09 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2261 on: September 06, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »

New 4mm belt n braces steering box mounting bracket made up & bolted to the end of the box, waiting for Mr Loony to weld it to the chassis in the morning. We'd noticed the box mount, (hidden under the chassis leg in this shot), was flexing slightly as we turned the wheel, adding to the freeplay in the steering that we need to eliminate before the truck's tested. This should fix that. Apparently VW camper vans often use super thick grease in their steering boxes to help reduce freeplay. Might be giving that a go ourselves.
This is a heavily modified original Ford Pop steering box. In standard form the shaft coming out of it is the steering column, with the steering wheel attaching to the top of the rivetted collar. I've shortened the column down to less than a foot long & added universal joints & a short length of splined bar, (from a Rover I think), to connect it up to a Morris Minor column & wheel. So the Pop box is now laying horizontally, alongside the chassis leg, instead of standing up vertically. Seems to work.
I welded the "nose" on the front of the mounting plate to clear the box's grease nipple -which we then decided to discard, (we'll fill the box through the top inspection plate). It looks more interesting than a flat plate though, so it's staying.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:40:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2262 on: September 06, 2010, 10:48:39 PM »

Also made a start on the brake lines. The Triumph Vitesse brake calipers are fed by Goodridge braided stainless flexi hoses. The left one hooks up to a brass T piece under the corner of the chassis. The right one, (driver's side), passes through a bulkhead fitting on a tab under the chassis & will link to the T piece via a rigid copper brake pipe running under the front cross member. From the T piece, a rigid pipe will run back to the master cylinder under the driver's seat, where a second line will head to the rear drums. Both front & back brake lines will pass through the dual circuit remote servo under the dash. I'll probably cover these front hoses with either black braided nylon sleeving or rubber hose, to disguise their shiney newness & give a more vintage look.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:44:05 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2263 on: September 08, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »

With Royal Mail cutting more & more corners to save money, I'm having to work longer & longer each day, just to get the job done. Didn't finish delivering until almost 4 o clock this afternoon. By the time I'd got changed & driven out to Loony's workshop I got about an hour & a half in on the Pop.
Just enough time to mess up the first copper brake line. Twice. I've never used a pipe flaring tool before & I needed a convex fitting on one end & concave on the other. First attempt -too short. Bugger. Second attempt -too long. Bugger. Third attempt -just right -ish.
It runs under the front chassis cross member to connect the 2 front brakes together via a brass T piece & will be secured with P clips.

brock

« Reply #2264 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »

"Third attempt -just right -ish."

and you can very nearly guarantee that when you do make the one with perfect bends and correct length you'll turn round to find the bloody nut still laying on the bench 
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: