May 17, 2024, 10:27:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565011 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2085 on: June 08, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »

Mirror looks good there but will it get in the way when you stick your hand out to signal?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2086 on: June 08, 2010, 08:58:33 PM »

I've got a pair of them. The Pop's narrow enough to put my hand out the opposite window too!
I'm intrigued by your little something Baggie -hope it's a tiny, pocket sized mechanic.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #2087 on: June 09, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »

a tiny, pocket sized mechanic.
who doest sleep or complain

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
tbone

« Reply #2088 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:13 AM »

a tiny, pocket sized mechanic.
who doest sleep or complain

It`s not me then  Grin

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2089 on: June 12, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »

Cheesy
Been messing about with the seat mounts for a while now -every time I start a new bit on this build I can't wait to get it finished & move on to the next bit. Never built a car completely from scratch before -there's a lot more detail stuff to think about than I realised.
Having decided where I wanted to fit the seats, the brake master cylinder reservoir was in the way. So I had to angle grind it off the chassis & make a new one. That led to a design rethink. I'm fairly certain the SVA examiner will want to see the minimum fluid level mark on the side of the reservoir. So I made a new bracket that lifts the plastic reservoir high enough under the seat to be able to read the level.   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2090 on: June 12, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »

The plastic reservoir's a good "pop-in" fit in the bracket, but I'll secure it with a squirt of clear mastic once it's done. We'll probably panel in the chassis under the bracket to keep everything weather proof.
The reservoir now sits a couple of inches up off the chassis, but still low enough that the seat base will clear it. The upholstered seat base will lift out to give access to the reservoir.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2091 on: June 12, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »

So now I need a couple of extra cross members to support the seats. No problem. I'll weld them in first, then drill them & add captive nuts to bolt the seats to afterwards. The chassis now looks incredibly complicated, but taken one step at a time, it hopefully makes sense. If I get any more cross members in there I might as well build a solid steel floor!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2092 on: June 12, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »

Loony's suggested that rather than adding switches to the dashboard, we mount them in a floor panel, on the tunnel, between the gear lever & handbrake. Sounds good to me.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2093 on: June 12, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »

Mister Loony tries the cab for size & pronounces it "sound".

blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #2094 on: June 14, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »

at fist clance i thought you were setting up a GP car toilet arrangement. but i suppose unless you pee brake fluid it wont work  Tongue
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2095 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »

Your mind truly works in mysterious ways Mr B.  Tongue
Put the rest of the seat mounting cross members in today, plus one under the pedals, (don't want to wear a dip in the floor where my heels rest), & a matching one on the passenger side.
They are square & true, but the wide angle lens makes 'em look wrong.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:21:23 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2096 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »

My remote brake servo mounting bracket has arrived from Stafford Vehicle Components. Apparently it's flat packed. Supposed to be U shaped, so we put it in the vice & bashed it wiv an 'ammer, carefully adjusted it, until it fitted.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2097 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »

With it bolted to the servo, we can now find somewhere to fit it in the car. Being a remote unit, it can be mounted anywhere, but there's suprisingly little available space left now. After trying it in several places, we eventually settled on slinging it from the loop of tube that runs under the dash. We'll make a small bulge in the bulkhead to cover it, with a curved panel the width of the car under the dashboard on the inside. That'll also give us somewhere to hide the windscreen wiper motor.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2098 on: June 14, 2010, 10:33:11 PM »

My present from Baggie arrived today, all the way from Canadashire. A genuine Canadian licence plate, with the script "keep it beautiful". Hmm, functional maybe. Stylish possibly. Beautiful? We'll see!
Thanks for that Baggs. It's taken pride of place on my shed wall for now.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:00:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2099 on: June 19, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »

With another couple of steel straps welded across the floor & some mounting holes drilled, the seats are now in.
Loony & I jumped in & took it for a spin, clocking up quite a few air miles. Can't wait till it really runs now.
Although the seats are deliberately basic, they're suprisingly comfy. We expected to be wedged in, shoulder to shoulder, but there's about a hand's width of space between us when we're sat in there. The passenger side is really quite amazingly roomy, with Loony, who's a smidgen over 6 feet tall, able to stretch his legs right out in the footwell, which is more than you can do in my daily commuter car. Unlike modern cars, where you're cocooned in the cab, with the dashboard almost wrapped around you & your feet underneath it, there's a feeling of lots of open space around you in the Pop -the dash is almost at arm's length in front of you & there's a hand's width of headroom too -so even though it's roof-chopped, with a 7 inch tall windscreen, it doesn't feel claustrophobic in there like I thought it might.    
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:31:08 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: